Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think it would be lovely if we could all dress in Renaissance clothes nowadays?

(27 Posts)
Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:17:12

I quite fancy trailing velvet robes and a hair mesh encrusted with seed pearls and twinkly diamonds?

And have little velvet slippers with gold thread on them.

I could sit in a bower and dream of courtly love.

(Indulge me - it's better than a thread about MIL)

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:18:35

Mind you - not so sure about the cod pieces on men...

AlpacaPicnic Fri 21-Mar-14 19:20:14

Ooh yes!
I've always fancied one of those tall pointy cone hats with a wafty scarf trailing from the point...

SantanaLopez Fri 21-Mar-14 19:20:54

Oh yeah, for sure. Although I'm not keen on corsets to be honest. But I'd rock something like this:

(I hope the photo works)

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:21:51

Yes!

A lovely floaty veil would be nice grin

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:22:43

That's a lovely picture Santana...

Who is she?

CailinDana Fri 21-Mar-14 19:24:53

Yab very u. I had to wear a corset once. Never ever again.

SantanaLopez Fri 21-Mar-14 19:24:55

I don't know, but it was painted by Antonio (complicated Italian surname I'd just butcher if I tried). It's just called Portrait of a Young Woman.

I love the details.

utahforever Fri 21-Mar-14 19:26:40

Ooh, I love the Renaissance period; so much that I made my own red/gold velvet dress with wafty sleeves - not practical in the rain though grin

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:27:32

We could go corset less and just have lace-up backs.

She's lovely that Young Woman smile

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:29:00

But we wouldn't need to worry about rain utah!

<tut>

We'd just waft around palaces looking pale and interesting.

It'd be lovely.

DPotter Fri 21-Mar-14 19:34:39

No knickers!

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 21-Mar-14 19:40:36

I have a very lovely black velvet dress with shot silk inserts in the floaty sleeves. And a cloak to wear with it as I can't get the sleeves in a coat.

I plan to buy more for everyday wear.....

AdoraBell Fri 21-Mar-14 19:41:10

It's fecking 32C in the shade where I am, and this is autumn. Piss off with your bloody Renaissance dress hmmwink

<melts>

utahforever Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:01

Ok, so no rain then. I can do wafting and sewing. Plus we can have little dances with men in cod pieces smile

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:45:43

Well, you could maybe go all Roman Adora?

A nice toga?

neverput - ooh, sounds lovely!

OscarWinningActress Fri 21-Mar-14 19:47:39

Ooh, yes please. I'm for any historical fashion that means I don't have to show my legs in the summer. I'd particularly like Austen-esque empire dresses for summer, I think. Except for the muddy hems. And what would you wear if you wanted to go for a run or something confused.

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:50:09

I don't think laydeez ran in Austen's day.

They just did lots of brisk walks and painted stuff.

expatinscotland Fri 21-Mar-14 19:51:19

Fuck that!

MyFirstName Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:50

My wedding dress had a beaded bodice, stiff skirt and floaty chiffon sleeves and reception was in a 15th Century Hall.....<joins the nostalgia>

TempusFuckit Fri 21-Mar-14 20:00:41

Renaissance is pre-corset, just. So count me in!

Although I bet those trailing sleeves got in the potage.

florascotia Fri 21-Mar-14 20:04:02

Yes, the frocks are fab and you could waft with a will but as a Renaissance noblewoman you'd be married off with little or no choice to a man chosen by your father at 14 or 15. You'd have multiple pregnancies (very, very frequently if your babies were bf by a wet-nurse, which was the norm) and a good chance of dying young in childbirth or suffering from lifelong gynaecological problems/anaemia/infections. Your husband might well have a STD (syphilis was rife in Europe c 1500); you might catch TB. Because you were rich and could afford sugar, your teeth would probably rot, like Queen Elizabeth's (which were black by the end of her life) and your breath would smell accordingly. Your cosmetics would contain deadly lead and arsenic; your hair-dye (reddish-blonde was fashionable) was corrosive. Your corsets would restrict your breathing; your stiff, heavy, padded clothes could not be dry cleaned - they'd smell musty or be very very heavily perfumed (to cover BO). Your palazzo would be infested by rats and fleas; your ponds/streams/lagoons would be full of malaria-carrying mosquitoes. If you lived in city (and you probably did), you'd have a good chance of dying swiftly and horribly of plague.

You'd honestly be much better off as a peasant.

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 20:09:06

Well that burst our little dreaming bubble flora...

It was just a bit of fun...

florascotia Fri 21-Mar-14 20:22:22

Sorry - I really agree that the clothes are romantic and wonderful and I wish that modern fashions could be anything like so flattering.

I happen to feel sorry for those women in the past (and, more importantly, very grateful for our modern healthcare and freedoms) but PLEASE don't let me spoil the fun. I do share your admiration for past styles. I once made an evening dress based on a 17th cent frock pattern and it really was fantastic to wear. The swoosh, the rustle...

Salmotrutta Fri 21-Mar-14 20:28:50

Ach, it's fine flora grin

I know it was a bit crap back then but we have lots of crap stuff today too.

It's nice to imagine isn't it? smile

Actually, I'd like a rustly, swishy taffeta gown - so I could flounce about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now