Talk

Advanced search

to ask them to destroy

(11 Posts)
OurMiracle1106 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:57:16

I went for a medical almost a month ago. To refund my travel expenses they took my bank details and told me I should be refunded within 10days. Today I got a check for the amount through so am now wondering why they took my bank details. Would I be unreasonable to make sure they are destroyed? Am I within my rights to request this? I don't like the idea of companies etc having my details when they have no reason for holding them

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Mar-14 12:59:27

They can't do anything with them, so I wouldn't worry. You can ask them, but they might think it's a bit odd. they must do it all the time.

DoJo Fri 21-Mar-14 14:18:52

Who has got the details? A company you work for? Or a third party? I doubt that they would do much with them other than keep them on file in case they need to pay you again.

nancy75 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:33:34

You cant do anything with bank details, I email bank account number & sort code of our company account to about 500 people a month - the only thing they can do is pay money in.

bubblegoose Fri 21-Mar-14 14:44:29

You can use bank account details! As Jeremy Clarkson will attest:

www.autoblog.com/2008/01/07/jeremy-clarksons-bank-account-hacked-to-prove-a-point/

OurMiracle1106 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:02:04

Its atos who done my medical assessment. As I have been signed off for at least a year and they aren't renewing their contract I don't see they need them tbh. Iam worried about bank account hacking.

They also have my address date of birth national insurance number maiden name bank name where it was opened so it's more than just numbers

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Mar-14 16:39:11

If you give someone a cheque they have your sorting code, account number and signature. In theory everything they need. But we all do it.

Thought the JC example may be quoted. He was covered under the direct debit guarantee anyway and hardly a similar situation.

In theory, yes a direct debit could be set up but why would the company want to do that? confused

Why do you think they will want to hack your account?

OurMiracle1106 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:42:24

I just don't trust companies anymore since my account was attempted to be hacked. Fortunately I was skint at the time so nothing could go out

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Mar-14 16:55:01

My card was cloned by using the Tesco cashpoint. These things do happen.

It's obviously bothering you so email them and request they destroy them?

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 21-Mar-14 16:58:29

If someone is that unscrupulous that they will try to hack your account how do you know they will destroy your details when asked?

Sparklingbrook Fri 21-Mar-14 17:06:36

Atos don't look very unscrupulous looking at their website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now