Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at a customer's dog sitting on the sofa in a coffee shop?

(79 Posts)
MadameMattise Fri 21-Mar-14 12:23:22

That's it really. It's put me off the place tbh.

Morgause Fri 21-Mar-14 12:28:33

I thought animals weren't allowed in places where food is being served.

I wouldn't like that at all. Complain to the manager.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:30:36

Are you in France (asked because of name)? Because in the UK a dog shouldn't even be in a coffee shop unless it's an assistance dog, in which case it should be lying quietly on the floor.

Either way, not unreasonable! I take my dog on the bus occasionally and she'd love to get on the seat next to me but I don't let her, because other people don't want dog hair or dirt on their clothes. In a coffee shop there's the hygiene issue as well.

Pootles2010 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:31:13

They are Morgause, loads of pubs allow dogs, but I have never seen one on sofa, thats a bit much! They tend to sit under the chairs out of the way, don't they?

Mintyy Fri 21-Mar-14 12:31:48

Yanbu, of course not! But then I have heard of people opening dog friendly cafes, so this might be one of them?

HappinessAgainOneDay Fri 21-Mar-14 12:35:54

As SilverDRagonFly asked, are you abroad?

I wouldn't want to sit where a dog's anus has been. Sitting on a bit of grass in a park is bad enough....

EmpressOfJurisfiction Fri 21-Mar-14 12:39:03

YANBU.
When we visit dog friendly pubs my two sit on the floor and on buses they both squeeze onto my lap. Having them on the furniture in public definitely wouldn't be ok.
<looks over at dogs snoring on sofa>

MadameMattise Fri 21-Mar-14 12:39:30

Richmond Upon Thames!

Cirsium Fri 21-Mar-14 12:43:04

YANBU to not want a dog sat on a sofa/chair in a public place. Dog owners should be more understanding of the fact not everyone likes their pet as much as them.

We often take our dog with us on days out, even on our anniversary as we wanted to go for a nice lunch and then a walk without spending hours driving to and fro in the car to pick her up. But we always ensured she sat calmly on the floor under the table so she didn't disturb anyone else and won't be taking new puppy out until he is able to do the same.

For those who think dogs are never allowed in places serving food there are lots of dog friendly cafés and pubs around who will often bring dogs a bowl of water over when they bring the menus.

Stinklebell Fri 21-Mar-14 12:46:54

There are lots of dog friendly pubs and cafes near me.

In the summer we often go out on bike rides and walks with dog, invariably we end up in a pub. He's not allowed on the furniture though, he usually snoozes under my chair.

MadameMattise Fri 21-Mar-14 12:47:46

I did ask the person who was working there if they allowed dogs to sit on the sofa and he said that they did but they make sure to wipe the dog hair off afterwards hmm

I hope they don't get their dog-hair-removing cloth mixed up with their dish cloth.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:59:27

I wish there were dog friendly places like that near me, sounds wonderful. Not that I could take my dog to one as she is the jumpy-up-licky type despite years of training (I keep her on a short leash around people and don't let anyone stroke her until I've warned them of the possible outcome!).

Fontofnowt Fri 21-Mar-14 13:02:10

My ageing poodle refuses to walk around the park.
He just walks to the nearest bench and sits on it.

Maybe the dog was disobedient like mine?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 21-Mar-14 13:04:58

I wonder where they stand on dogs licking a plate in their coffee shop?

I am not anti-dog in the slightest - we always had dogs growing up, but I would only want VERY well behaved dogs in anywhere that serves food TBH. I wouldn't class a dog that jumps up on to a foreign sofa (i.e. not his own, which would smell familiar & possible have his blanket on etc.) a very well behaved dog.

Most dogs are perfectly well house trained, so the wee/poo possibility wouldn't concern me but muddy pawprints & dog hair would. I also can't stop imagining a very lovely Labrador we once had, who would definitely try to lick plates/nibble the goods shock.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 21-Mar-14 13:06:14

possibly not possible - damn autocorrect!

limitedperiodonly Fri 21-Mar-14 13:09:00

I sat on a small dog on a bench in a restaurant in Deauville.

The tables were tightly packed and I was trying to squeeze onto the bench running the whole length of the wall quickly so as not to inconvenience anyone.

How was I to know the woman sitting next to me had brought her dog which was too small to peek over the table?

I was a bit drunk and sat down quite heavily. Then I burst out laughing. No real harm done but I don't think I did much for the image of the English abroad.

TooMuchRain Fri 21-Mar-14 13:12:30

If it was a wooden bench it wouldn't bother me at all, but I can't see how they really get the hairs off a sofa

lionheart Fri 21-Mar-14 13:14:52

I think it's up to the cafe owner whether they allow dogs or not (so no law against it). It does put me off tbh but to see it sitting on the sofa would really get my goat.

Latara Fri 21-Mar-14 13:15:36

YANBU - I wouldn't like to sit where a smelly dog has been (or some, er, smelly customers for that matter).

One of my favourite local cafes is dog friendly and it makes me laugh because some of the dogs aren't so friendly to each other and have doggie stand-offs in the middle of the café.

lionheart Fri 21-Mar-14 13:16:10

Unless, of course, they give the dog's arse wipe before it sits down.

Cirsium Fri 21-Mar-14 13:28:47

We did have to regularly wipe our last dog's bum as she got older blush. We also wipe paws when they come in which meant dh was able to honestly answer yes to electrician who recently came round and grumpily asked if we wipe the puppy's paws when dh asked him to put shoe covers on his muddy boots. smile

MadameMattise Fri 21-Mar-14 13:31:47

The cafe had up a sign saying that Richmond council had awarded it lots of stars for hygiene - but I bet they didn't come on a day when there was a smelly dog sitting on the sofa licking its balls.

KittensoftPuppydog Fri 21-Mar-14 13:32:15

Even I don't think that dogs should sit on seats in a public place but there are plenty of dog friendly pubs, restaurants and cafes around and that is a very good thing.
If you don't like a place you don't have to go there. Lots of dog owners will be only too pleased to go there instead.

Quinteszilla Fri 21-Mar-14 13:34:30

I think Richmond is perhaps the most dog friendly borough I have ever lived in! The streets in the various villages are lined with dog drinking bowls outside the little shops, along with "hoops" to tie your pooch up. There are always dogs sleeping under tables in coffee shops and restaurants.

Not to mention all the dog poo littering the street. The dog owners "thank you" to a dog friendly population.

ormirian Fri 21-Mar-14 13:35:15

I have found a few dog-friendly eating places. I have been quite taken aback tbh but pleased obviously. However dogs on sofas would be too much. Mine goes on my sofa but I wouldn't dream of letting him up on anyone elses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now