Talk

Advanced search

To go back to pull ups

(17 Posts)
JimmyJaz Fri 21-Mar-14 12:15:06

My DS age 9 has a bedwetting problem. He wore pj pants until a few months ago and they were drenched every morning. He then gradually started to wet less and was having dry pull ups. We decided that he didn't need them any more and he has not worn them for a few months, having only the odd accident. However its now started again, for the last 2 weeks he has consistently wet his bed. Would it be unreasonable to go back to the pull up nappies. Does anyone ells have a child around this age in them?

MammaTJ Fri 21-Mar-14 12:33:51

My friend has a DS who is 13 and wears them. He has had input from the school nurse, hormone tablets but still wets.

I don't think you have a choice tbh! Much better than the distress of a wet bed all the time.

JimmyJaz Fri 21-Mar-14 12:54:16

I suppose your right, their isn't much choice. I'm just worried that he will be crushed by it. He was so pleased to not need them any more. It doesn't help that his friend came round for a sleepover once and made fun of his 'nappy'.

Marylou62 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:56:30

Oh Jimmy I feel for you and thankgod for MN. At least 3 of my DSs friends wet the bed past 10 but no one talked about it...(us mums used to talk about it) My DS im afraid was nearly 15 and not just the bed!! Even with a pull up.... The duvet, pillows, Every night... and the sofa if we let him fall asleep on there!! We tried alarm, nasal sprays ,tablets etc etc...he wore pyjama pants till they didn't fit any more. He is now dry and am I pleased...for him as well as the furniture. Can I just say, don't worry about camps etc as the school were brilliant. He just had to whisper that he'd wet and the sleeping bag would be whisked away and replaced with out any other child knowing. Yes..go back to pants, reassure your child that he WILL grow out of it, its not something he can help. Good Luck.

Marylou62 Fri 21-Mar-14 13:02:19

Jimmy I did tell my DS rightly that loads of children wet the bed but we don't know about it. I told him that in his class, at least 5 boys would have this problem. Don't want to tell you things you know but its all about the maturity of the brain and in some children its a bit slower. My DS used to put his pj pants on in the bed, under the covers and take it off same way. I used to make sure I went up and removed it quickly and discreetly. Never stopped sleep overs.

JimmyJaz Fri 21-Mar-14 13:29:20

Thanks Marylou62, its good to know I'm he is not alone. I will ask him this evening if he could wear the pull up. He knows it is better than a wet bed, but thinks they are babyish. He knows they are nappies so I can't get away with calling them "special pants". I also tell him that loads of children his age and older wet the bed and have to wear nappies, so they are not for babies.

MammaTJ Fri 21-Mar-14 15:34:20

What MaryLou says is so true. I only know about my friends DS, and her two younger DSs because I mentions my DS age 7 is still bedwetting.

One thing the school nurse mentioned was social pressure, but I explained my DS's best friend and his younger and older brother have the same issues, so it lessened that somewhat.

JimmyJaz Sat 22-Mar-14 16:15:35

He wore his underjams last night. He wasn't as upset as I feared, I think he was more relived by the fact he wouldn't wake up in a wet bed. I checked on him at about 12 (normally when his bed is wet) and they were wet. By the morning they were filled to maximum capacity with wee. I think he was actually relived to be wearing them as he didn't sleep properly when he felt he would wet his bed.
MammaTJ I also have a 7 year old in night nappies and a 5 year old as well.

mygrandchildrenrock Sat 22-Mar-14 16:28:14

One of my sons wet at night until he was 10 or 11. I used to tell him that they wouldn't make night time pull ups for boys his age if lots of boys didn't need them, they didn't make them especially for him! That made him feel better.

MammaTJ Sat 22-Mar-14 16:32:43

mygrandchildrenrock, that's a great thought!

wonderingsoul Sat 22-Mar-14 16:37:12

ynbu.. ds 8 wets the bed.. weve just had ago at the mat that alarms.. 3 and half weeks on no dry nights ATALL. i had to stop i just couldnt keep up with the washing and it was making him worse. so we went back into pull ups. which his nurse gave me a bollocking for but i told her she wasnt the one having to buy sheets and new spare duvets all the times.

we are on the tablets yet, i pick them up tuesday so im re\lly hoping it will help.

i would put them back in it.. if he is happy to. is there anything else worrying him? has he bill il. not drinking as much? seems odd to have got so far then have a replase like that. or even urine infection?

Whereisegg Sat 22-Mar-14 16:41:47

My ds age 7 still wets every night, I found showing him the packs in asda that go up to age 15 a great reassurance.
He wasn't really bothered when I said that they made them up to that age, but actually showing him did the trick.

dellybobs Sat 22-Mar-14 16:46:07

I thought this was going to be a post about the weightlifting kind of pull ups and was intrigued what you were going to say. I don't have any experience in the other kind yet though I'm afraid .

imtheonlyone Sat 22-Mar-14 17:00:17

Hi, don't feel bad about going back to pull ups. My DS is 9 and we've only just come out of pull ups. He's seen consultant at hospital, but what I found more useful was a continence consultant at a local clinic. She had him on a drinks regime now where he has to have six drinks of 250mls throughout the day. It's working for him, we still get the odd Wet night, but by and large he's dry now! Not always the cure but ask your gp if there is a local continence nurse who you could see. She spent an hour with us the first time going through everything - very thorough. Far better than the consultant at hospital.
But don't feel bad. It's hard for them and you - but all the washing is so hard work! And it's not nice for them to wake up wet all the time. If it's cos the hormone hasn't kicked in then there are drugs, but that's up to you - and they in turn have side effects apparently! I just explained to my son that it wasn't his fault and there's nothing he can do. Also told him that he's not alone, as the other posters have said. Don't feel bad though, it's tough. Good luck

Marylou62 Sun 23-Mar-14 08:59:33

Glad we've opened the conversation about this subject! More parents should talk about it. Another reason my DC wore Pj pants was that he got so sore from lying in a wet bed. And I mean from thighs to waist... angry red sore skin. I can tell you I was very relieved when he finally managed to stop. I agree with drinking more during the day as DS played lots of sport so was v busy and didn't drink much...he would then come home and drink all evening....but as the stubborn child he is...I couldn't seem to make him understand. Good luck to you all.

JimmyJaz Mon 24-Mar-14 12:23:19

We haven't ruled out drugs, but we aren't going to use them just yet as its better to see if the hormone kicks in without the side effects of drugs. However if he gets to the point when its starting to really effect his life then we might use them. He has been back in pull ups for a couple of days and is made a difference, he is getting better sleep and not starting the day cold and wet. I also make sure he drinks a lot in the day and not much in the evening and that he double voids his bladder at night.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 24-Mar-14 14:10:44

It's good to know dd7 isent the only one. She has ASD and wears pull ups at night.0, they are full by the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now