Talk

Advanced search

To complain there was a man in the changing room?

(13 Posts)
VelvetSpoon Fri 21-Mar-14 12:03:10

I belong to a local (v basic, no frills) gym.

Was there early this morning, did my bit on the treadmill, came out, went into changing room, took off my gym kit and went into the shower.

Came back into the changing room and there was a bloke (not one of the gym staff) doing some sort of maintenance in a cupboard on one side of the changing room (not quite sure what, looked like it contained electrical equipment).

I obviously wasn’t going to get dressed in front of him, so took my clothes into the loos (off the changing room) and got dressed in there, which wasn't ideal.

There were no staff around when I left to mention it to (there is no reception desk or anything) was thinking of complaining by email - would you? I appreciate it may have been essential work, but it just seemed a bit inappropriate for him to be in there when clearly there was someone using the changing room (all my clothes, bag etc were there).

MissMilbanke Fri 21-Mar-14 12:05:37

Yep I think I would.

Was there a notice on the door saying essential maintenance being performed or something ?

Pawprint Fri 21-Mar-14 12:06:11

I would complain. Even if the work was essential, they should have closed the changing room and (if possible) found an alternative changing area.

VelvetSpoon Fri 21-Mar-14 12:09:43

I was already in there - in the shower - when he came in (there's basically a door from gym to changing room, then the loos and shower area lead off the changing room - there was no sign anywhere.

CoffeeTea103 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:11:30

Yanbu to complain. What if you didn't even notice him and started to change shock.

Viviennemary Fri 21-Mar-14 12:12:10

They should have put a notice up. Or have shouted to make sure there was nobody in the room. But I don't think it's worth making a great fuss about.

VelvetSpoon Fri 21-Mar-14 12:16:26

I'd already changed - when I came back from the shower (in a towel) he was in the cupboard.

Forgettable Fri 21-Mar-14 12:37:26

I wouldn't have liked that at ALL

Yes do let the gym know, perhaps they hadn't thought it through, you know ' oops the filter flangie needs a tweak, Bob can you you pop in and give it a turn, cheers mate'

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Fri 21-Mar-14 12:41:46

Yup complain about this. This is dreadful! Very poor practice by the gym. The thing is, what popped into my mind was what if he wasn't meant to be there?

VelvetSpoon Fri 21-Mar-14 12:46:01

He definitely wasn't one of the gym staff (they all have green uniforms so are pretty easy to identify), I presume he was an external contractor and it was some kind of essential maintenance...but at least I'd expect a sign or him to have waited til I'd finished, even if it was 7.30am!

NancyJones Fri 21-Mar-14 12:52:19

I'd mention it. There is also the small chance that he wasn't a maintenance man at all and was using the cupboard to disguise whatever he was up to. I'm thinking more petty theft than sexual predator but you may be the only witness to him being there.

VelvetSpoon Fri 21-Mar-14 20:20:23

Bit unsettled by the thought he might not have been an actual maintenance person...

Think I will make a complaint.

ItsAFuckingVase Fri 21-Mar-14 22:19:45

Yes complain!

Unfortunately occasional maintenance work is unavoidable, but should be planned well enough in advance to let people know. We always swapped the changing rooms around to better accommodate the work being done whilst keeping members comfortable.

And aside from that, the problem must have existed when you arrived so they should have informed you then of the possibility of maintenance work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now