Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think NOTHS is disappearing up its own arse?

(20 Posts)
QuizteamBleakley Fri 21-Mar-14 10:47:57

Twenty quid for this? Eh?Not On The High Street

misskatamari Fri 21-Mar-14 10:50:33

That is ridiculous! You can get some lovely stuff on there but I agree a lot of stuff is overpriced tat. I assumed that the prices were set by the individual suppliers tho and not NOTHS but I could be wrong

Rabbitcar Fri 21-Mar-14 10:51:28

Totally agree. A nice idea in theory, but in practice shockingly expensive. I'm happy to pay a bit more for the designers, as they have higher overheads than the big companies, but not that much more!

Finola1step Fri 21-Mar-14 10:51:37

£20 for an empty cardboard box? No chocs inside?

More money than sense.

Stinklebell Fri 21-Mar-14 10:56:43

Twenty quid? shock

I bought some plain boxes like that from Hobbycraft at Christmas, for about a quid each.

shock a box ffs!!!

Have just found the necklace my cousin bought me as an early birthday present. Had no idea it was this much! Normally we spend a tenner on each other. I shall be having words.

I do love it though

totally using thread as excuse to show it off

wink

Sangelina Fri 21-Mar-14 11:18:02

Very often if you copy the item description and paste into google you can buy items from the supplier directly at lower prices. Just sayin'.

CheeseStrawWars Fri 21-Mar-14 11:20:09

Twinkly, those necklaces have been all over Groupon recently. I won't disclose the price but it wasn't £59. smile

Lomaamina Fri 21-Mar-14 11:22:07

twenty quid for a bog standard box! funnily enough I just clicked on the ad before seeing this thread and my immediate thought was 'cheap looking expensive tat'.

LaGuardia Fri 21-Mar-14 11:22:28

But it isn't just a box, is it, OP? If you actually read the details it is completely personalised. Not all of us live just around the corner from their relatives, so I think it is a nice idea.

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 21-Mar-14 11:32:36

It's going the way of Pedlars...shock

GemmaTeller Fri 21-Mar-14 11:32:36

Twinkly what about these?

https://www.Fairyenchantments.etsy.com

I bought a double keyring from here at christmas and its lovely

GemmaTeller Fri 21-Mar-14 11:33:26

oops, try this link:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Fairyenchantments?ref=ss_profile

GemmaTeller Fri 21-Mar-14 11:33:46

ffs

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Fairyenchantments?ref=ss_profile

Nocomet Fri 21-Mar-14 11:45:37

scarf now £12.95 and I've seen it in the past ONOTHS for £20.

Mine cost £7.99 from a stall on a local high street!

cashmiriana Fri 21-Mar-14 12:44:11

Have just found the necklace my cousin bought me as an early birthday present. Had no idea it was this much! Normally we spend a tenner on each other. I shall be having words. I do love it though

Don't know if I should tell you but they were £15 on Groupon last week!

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/gg-silvexcraft-design-uk-23/33334601

Sukebind Fri 21-Mar-14 12:51:57

I think that there are some designers and craftspeople on NOTHS that are absolutely brilliant but the catalogues they send out tend to be full of very expensive and practically useless tat that is apparently desirable because it is personalised. Also, they suggest a very singular definition of the target audience, e.g. the dads they project through the products they suggest for them are deferential, work hard at their own desks in the week before devoting their entire weekend to their kids (and doing a bit of cooking a la Saturday kitchen) and apparently want to obsess about their children (and maybe wife) all the time with cufflinks, photos, keyrings, everything, with their children's names on. All the grandads like sheds and allotments. You get the idea.

JC74 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:54:24

Another factor is the commission that noths charge - this is the reason you can often buy cheaper direct from the business' own website.

LongTailedTit Fri 21-Mar-14 12:59:57

That's what I do JC74, if I find something I like I Google the company name and try to buy it direct.
NOTHS charge their sellers 30%! Absolute rip off, especially seeing as they're not exactly discerning, the good stuff is hidden amongst towering heaps of crap, and their search criteria don't let you narrow it down enough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Phew so pleased she didn't spend that much!

Yes she'll have got it on Groupon, feel much better knowing that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now