Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to lodge a complaint?

(8 Posts)
blueberrypudding Fri 21-Mar-14 09:52:41

So I'm nearly full term and went in to the AAU for decreased foetal movements a couple of days ago. All was fine though they had to repeat the CTG and I was in there for five hours, midwife was exceptionally lovely and as routine they sent me for a scan.

It turns out baby is really big already compared to my BMI and midwife raised this when she saw the scan results. She gave me a sweep and asked me to come back in the next day to see the consultant to ask if that was going to be an issue. I thought that was sensible!

So I come back the next day for my appointment (my DH takes a day off for this as if there was an induction discussed he wanted to be part of the decision making process) and after waiting an hour I'm ushered into a consultation room. While there I hear the consultant literally shouting at the midwife in the next room saying it was ridiculous I was back in and was asked to see her as everything was normal, and that it was a complete waste of her time.

Another midwife then came into the room and offered me an induction on my EDD because baby was large, which I accepted. The consultant didn't see me at all, which I was fine with.

Now I understand that consultants are busy but I felt so horrendously bad for the midwife who was being told off and felt so responsible - it really bothered me and stressed me out for the rest of the day! It also made me feel like I was something under the consultant's shoe that she couldn't be bothered with. I completely understand that I'm not a high risk, but in my mind the poor midwife was just covering herself professionally and making sure that everything went as smoothly as it could for me, which I think is lovely.

So now I have an induction date, which I'm happy with, and really I should just leave it, but I can't help but feel a sense of righteous indignation and want to make the consultant aware that her actions were distressing both for the midwife and for me (which I suppose she didn't know as she wasn't aware I could hear her). Am I being totally unreasonable?

mindthegap01 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:15:10

YANBU! That was very unprofessional of the consultant, I'd definitely complain.

Good luck with your induction and LO!

LaGuardia Fri 21-Mar-14 11:17:18

Why complain when it might be that consultant who is called in to save your life one day confused

Slothful Fri 21-Mar-14 11:22:56

Do complain, the consultant could have explained without shouting. The midwife didn't deserve shouting at for making a misjudgement.

anothermrssmith Fri 21-Mar-14 11:38:23

I would complain - the consultant was discussing your care and if you could hear them god knows who else could. Therefore a breach of confidentiality. Plus it's just unprofessional to shout at a colleague like that.

Woobeedoo Fri 21-Mar-14 12:56:29

I would complain. Who's to say that the next time a similar situation occurs that the midwife who received the dressing down ignores her own judgement and follows what the consultant said and something goes wrong?

Hospitals appreciate feedback - in November I had to complain about my consultant who tried to scare me out of a natural birth by telling me horror stories of NB's which I did not appreciate!

poorbuthappy Fri 21-Mar-14 12:58:57

So the consultant shouted at the midwife for you being there as there was no need and you got a booking for an induction on your EDD.

Ummm yes complain, because if the consultant was right, then the induction wouldn't have been offered surely?

bragmatic Fri 21-Mar-14 13:00:38

Do you think the consultant might leave her to bleed to death in the event of an emergency, LaGuardia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now