Talk

Advanced search

Sorry posting for traffic. Cat and frog

(35 Posts)
jinglebellsarecoming Thu 20-Mar-14 20:00:37

Please help. Cat brought in huge frog / toad. Last seen by the front door 30 mins ago. DD and I locked ourselves in the kitchen until DH came home. He can't find it anywhere.

So where so scared toads go?
Can the climb stairs?
Where has the cat put it?
How can we flush it out?

Otherwise I'm going to have to check into a hotel.

Taffeta Thu 20-Mar-14 20:02:44

I feel your pain op. Our cat brought in a live shrew this morning and let it go. It's currently in the playroom amongst all my work boxes.

At least I guess it is as that is where the cat is. Waiting.

The cat will wait, and wait. And eventually kill it. Probably.

jinglebellsarecoming Thu 20-Mar-14 20:04:50

I'm shaking I'm so scared. Cat is a total scardy cat and has bottled it to the garden. I'm in my wellies armed with a broom randomly banging things. I won't be able to sleep as it may come upstairs.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 20-Mar-14 20:04:59

I once saw our cat with frog face down her throat, back legs hanging out, croaking like fuck, cats throat going in and out with croaks. Sorry, it was horrible. Locked her out and cried.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Thu 20-Mar-14 20:07:36

My bastard cat likes to leave live magpies in my living room.

The frog has probably died, to be honest. Wouldn't worry too much about overnight as really, even if it is alive, it won't hurt you.

Mrsdavidcaruso Thu 20-Mar-14 20:08:36

Your cat will know where it is otherwise try the kitchen or bathroom I think frogs/toads can smell water and head in that direction.

My 3 cats have had 3 frogs the last one they had great fun putting a paw on it to keep it still and then letting it go and watching it hop - I had to rescue it and put it back in the pond - cats were MOST upset I spoiled their fun

jinglebellsarecoming Thu 20-Mar-14 20:10:39

I found the toad, so huge can't of been a frog. And it's very much alive. Can here DH swearing at it trying to get it out. Not sure shoo is going to work! I am still shaking. Why oh why do I have a cat in the house!

jinglebellsarecoming Thu 20-Mar-14 20:11:14

Hear!

gordyslovesheep Thu 20-Mar-14 20:12:27

last one we had was found swimming in the cats water bowl

is was a lovely thing

we are inundated in dead and live mices at the moment !

mollypup Thu 20-Mar-14 20:14:21

We get many a toad hopping into our garden/house as we live next to a lake. Put in it a butty box and let it go by water?

crazynanna Thu 20-Mar-14 20:16:57

Sorry..but the image of you in wellies "randomly banging things" with a broom has made me <snort> grin

sandiy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:17:37

Turn your heating on full blast to dry it out I'm sorry to be cruel but frog/toad in the house no flipping way I could sleep.
My cat has brought back a mouse to play with for the last three nights,5am til 6 it tortures them gets bored and leaves the half dead remains on the landing outside my daughters room.She then wakes up finds it becomes hysterical we then have to attempt to save it by putting it in the inside guinea house with food and water they always die cue more hysteria.All I want is a full nights sleep.I Luffs my cat but it's an evil bastard.Its very gentle with all the children though so I forgive it.If it brings back frogs/toads it's getting a muzzle.

ADishBestEatenCold Thu 20-Mar-14 20:18:17

Your cat is very unlikely to kill it, jinglebellsarecoming, and banging things and 'shoo-ing' won't make it leave.

Please don't hurt it getting it out (eg by squashing it's feet, trying to shovel it up, or something), toad's are good.

If neither you or your DH can bear to pick it up (and honestly, they feel okay), then ease it into a box/container/etc gently with a wooden spoon. Then pop it out on the grass.

Please. smile

ormirian Thu 20-Mar-14 20:25:44

Dampen your hands and pick it up.

We get frogs dumped in the house all the time. They scream horribly until the cats stop chasing them and then sit still waiting to be picked up. Can get annoying in the summer.

Blueuggboots Thu 20-Mar-14 20:25:50

It
Is
A
Toad.
biscuit

wyrdyBird Thu 20-Mar-14 20:27:21

Try a large empty plant pot (plastic) over the toad, then slide a large card underneath. Put the whole lot outside, remove pot, with any luck toad will lollop away.

Nomama Thu 20-Mar-14 20:29:06

Just pick it up and take to the bottom of the garden or towards a pond.

They aren't slimy or anything.

thecatneuterer Thu 20-Mar-14 20:29:40

I've never heard of people being scared of toads. How bizarre. Just pick it up gently and put it outside. If you don't feel you can may be ask a neighbour. I can't imagine many people would have your reaction so just about anyone you can think of to ask surely wouldn't mind.

thecatneuterer Thu 20-Mar-14 20:31:14

I think they feel lovely by the way. I used to do a lot of toad relocation, but I haven't had any in my garden for a couple of years, which makes me sad.

Ilovefluffysheep Thu 20-Mar-14 20:32:53

I'm petrified of frogs and toads, to the point where I used to be phobic. I have got that down to a more intense dislike now, but no way could I touch one, or pick it up.

When I bought the house one of the questions I asked was "do you have frogs or toads in your garden"? I'm sure they thought I was mad!

limitedperiodonly Thu 20-Mar-14 20:33:29

It's just a frog. What's to be scared of, OP? Like ADish said, it's not slimy or horrible to touch and is harmless. It won't bite and isn't poisonous.

If you know where it is, just shut it in quietly and turn off the lights. Give it a box or a damp towel and leave it. It'll probably lurk underneath in a few hours/overnight and then you can release it in the morning.

Frogs are really for your garden.

Catsmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 20:34:06

oooh yes, definitely don't hurt it, toads are amazing creatures.

Pretty sure the cat won't eat it, so the box and the wooden spoon option would be best,

or throw an old duster or teatowel over it, scoop it up and just put the whole lot out in the garden...shake it out gently along the ground.

AND people with hunting cats should keep them in at night, that fairly puts a crimp in the murder total.

I have three cats, so not making digs at the cats murdering wildlife.

ElkTheory Thu 20-Mar-14 20:35:03

Why are you afraid? It can't hurt you.

NearTheWindymill Thu 20-Mar-14 20:35:36

We have had so many. The problem is you scoop them up on a dustpan and they jump off. You have to have a small towel ready to bung over it - preferably a wet one. Then you get them outside sharpish. Open the door first so they don't jump whilst you fiddle with it.

I don't mind the birds and mice so much but I don't like the toads/frogs. But be brave OP - just brace yourself.

ManifestoMT Thu 20-Mar-14 20:36:15

We have had a frog leap out from under the sofa whilst we were watching tv.
Completely freaked us out.

I woke up with frog on my leg in bed.

I am not scared of frogs I can pick them up but I need to be warned. Not having cats just dumping them on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now