Talk

Advanced search

Fred Phelps - AIBU to say that there is a death...

(16 Posts)
manicinsomniac Thu 20-Mar-14 19:33:19

... that is a long way from being a tragedy.

I know, we shouldn't speak ill of the dead, everybody has a family who mourns them etc but in this case, I really can't see anything but benefit to society.

Is that harsh?

(sorry if there's already a thread going on this, I put his name into search but nothing came up)

Obituary here:
www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/fred-phelps-sr-leader-of-westboro-baptist-church-dies-at-84/2014/03/20/a0c5cd30-ae2b-11e3-a49e-76adc9210f19_story.html

breatheslowly Thu 20-Mar-14 19:43:05

YANBU. I knew the Westboro Baptists were deeply unpleasant, but to be bad enough for the Klan to protest against them takes it to another level.

nicename Thu 20-Mar-14 19:45:46

Didn't his church throw him out anyway? I wonder if they will picket his send off?very very odd lot.

DumbleDee Thu 20-Mar-14 19:46:28

YANBU. However I'm choosing to take the moral high ground and not sink to their twatish level, celebrating someone's death. However I'm not critical of anyone that does in his case.

HairyGrotter Thu 20-Mar-14 19:47:27

Why should we not speak ill of the dead, I've never really understood that. If you're a cunt in life, death ain't making you nicer.

Good riddance to him!

manicinsomniac Thu 20-Mar-14 19:48:59

Good point Dee - I'm not celebrating as such. I'm just not in the slightest bit sad! (hopefully there's a subtle difference somewhere!) grin

DameFanny Thu 20-Mar-14 19:51:00

Yanbu - the world's a better, more compassionate place without him

neverthebride Thu 20-Mar-14 19:51:40

Letting his death go unnoticed would be best I think.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 20-Mar-14 19:58:07

...except that he leaves ELEVEN children, all of them qualified lawyers, and all well versed in using the First Amendment in the service of hate.

cloggal Thu 20-Mar-14 20:00:20

Agree 100% with DumbleDee.

dawntigga Thu 20-Mar-14 20:07:16

YANBU, it's a person very few people will be sad to see leave the world. I'm sure his family love him, as much as that group of people know about love.

Disgrace some of his children left the church and have been disowned.

When he was younger he was a great lawyer for civil rights.

You've got to wonder what twisted his soul the way it was.

Won'tMissHimForASecondTiggaxx

Nennypops Thu 20-Mar-14 20:07:58

I like to think that, if he was right in thinking there is a god, he's discovered by now that homosexuals are welcome in heaven but he's going in the other direction.

nicename Thu 20-Mar-14 20:36:32

I think one son lives in Canad and promotes gay rights doesn't he? I suspect he was crossed off the family christmas list.

11 kids. Selfish whotzit! Who thinks 'what the world needs is 11 mini-mes'.

themaltesefalcon Fri 21-Mar-14 14:25:56

11 kids. Selfish whotzit! Who thinks 'what the world needs is 11 mini-mes'.

That would be eleven, qualified, well-paid taxpayers, who are subsidising the pensioners who didn't "replace" themselves, economically-speaking.

squoosh Fri 21-Mar-14 14:47:10

Even better obituary in Time magazine

time.com/32564/fred-phelps-westboro-baptist-obituary/

nicename Fri 21-Mar-14 16:28:13

I would suspect his motive in having so many kids wasn't for the benefit of society (he would be the type to froth at his tax dollars going toward welfare for vets and single mothers) but so that he is populating the planet with 'his kind'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now