Talk

Advanced search

To HATE it that my baby smells of my friend's perfume

(68 Posts)
Coffeeinthepark Thu 20-Mar-14 19:08:15

Since a cuddle this morning my baby has smelt strongly all day of my friend's perfume. She's lost her own lovely baby smell. I have wiped her head twice with a damp cloth and then bathed her this evening and I still can't get the smell off.

Think I'm probably too polite to ask my friend not to wear the perfume if she visits us again but does anyone else know what I mean?

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Mar-14 19:09:40

I am sure it will wear off-I wouldn't worry too much.

brokenhearted55a Thu 20-Mar-14 19:11:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katese11 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:11:54

YANBU! I used to hate it when dd came home from nursery smelling of perfume!

HarrietVaneAgain Thu 20-Mar-14 19:13:04

It feels odd doesn't it. Smell is such an important part of bonding I used to hate it when mine smelt like MIL or whoever. However YABU to tell people not to put perfume on think you will have to put up with it

hoobypickypicky Thu 20-Mar-14 19:13:42

You are kidding, aren't you, when you talk about asking your friend not to wear her perfume if she visits you again?

You haven't really considered asking her

Have you? shock

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Mar-14 19:13:54

Sometimes Sparkling Cat comes home smelling of perfume. I should quiz the neighbours really. smile

littlewhitebag Thu 20-Mar-14 19:14:26

I could understand if she was smelling of fags and gin but i don't think i would be put out by the smell of perfume on my baby.

If you have bathed her and changed all her clothing she won't smell of the perfume anymore. It is just your imagination.

wigglesrock Thu 20-Mar-14 19:14:55

I used to love it - I only really noticed my mother in laws perfume from the baby but I always quite liked the fact that it meant that my mil had sat with dd on her knee, cuddling her, telling her how loved she was etc. It always made me feel happy.

NoelOfLorst Thu 20-Mar-14 19:15:22

I once skipped DS3's bath time one night because he smelt of MIL's perfume and it was lovely blush

treas Thu 20-Mar-14 19:15:26

If it was your dp instead of your dc smelling of your friends perfume then you'd really have something to complain about.

sarahquilt Thu 20-Mar-14 19:15:29

Surely there are bigger things to worry about? it would be rude to say that to your friend.

rockybalboa Thu 20-Mar-14 19:16:20

I have to bathe all my kids (baby included) when they've been with MIL. I don't know what her perfume is but it reeks. We have to really air the spare room after she's been to stay too, it's horrid. The baby smell should come back

tmae Thu 20-Mar-14 19:20:08

YANBU I despise it when that happens, one of my husband's family wears a really strong scent and then when I cuddle him afterwards it really irritates my skin, so not only does my baby stink I'm also very uncomfortable.

MyBootsAreMuddy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:20:54

sparkling I now have an image of you stood trying to descretly sniff your neighbours as your talking to them and trying to figure out who it is.... only they are stood like 'hmm WTF is up with sparking?!' grin

tmae Thu 20-Mar-14 19:21:28

Actually there are several people who make him smell but it is just the one that irritates my skin so that one sticks in my head more. But I hate all of the smells on him.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 20-Mar-14 19:25:28

Yanbu, OP, because if I say you are BU I will have to admit my own unreasonableness and I refuse to do so! My second baby is due in a month and I keep having imaginary conversations in my head with my dad asking him not to wear aftershave when he visits the new baby because I hated it when he cuddled PFB and his lovely little bald head would smell of grown-up man instead of delicious newborn baby. Although I know it makes me a loon, I think I actually am going to make this request when the baby arrives. I am definitely going to make myself sound like an overly controlling and neurotic fool though!

Homebirthquestion Thu 20-Mar-14 19:27:41

I was delighted that MIL didn't see DC3 until she was a week old because she was already having baths so it didn't matter that she smelt of her perfume.

I was gutted with DCs 1&2 that they had to have their first baths after meeting her. She wears a lot of perfume!

HumphreyCobbler Thu 20-Mar-14 19:28:23

I hate it when my baby smells of perfume because I generally dislike the smell of perfume. I don't think I would consider asking anyone not to wear it though.

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Mar-14 19:29:30

grin Boots. Sparkling cat is quite picky when it comes to humans. I am intrigued.

envy at 'lovely little bald head'. I had two of those. They are now 14 and 12. <humph>

Salmotrutta Thu 20-Mar-14 19:29:44

I don't think I ever experienced perfume or aftershave etc. transferring onto either of my DC when they were babies.

Maybe I have the world's worst sense of smell confused

StarsAbove Thu 20-Mar-14 19:37:04

Yanbu, I can't stand it when that happens! I feel sorry for DD who then can't smell me properly over the perfume.

Coffeeinthepark Thu 20-Mar-14 19:38:00

On the plus side, it has reminded me how much I love her normal smell (on her lovely bald head) and how precious every day of smelling her is - before I know it she'll smell of nursery, playdoh, musty toddler

Casmama Thu 20-Mar-14 19:44:33

I am amazed at people thinking you are unreasonable. My ds's head was very absorbent of smell as a baby and even though he is 4 1/2 I still remember how horrible it was to have his head smell of perfume.

Ds2 due in July and like jellyandcake I asked my dh if I would be unreasonable to ask his sisters not to wear perfume if they want yo hold him. I was told I was bvvu but I agree with you OP.

Lucylouby Thu 20-Mar-14 19:47:44

When ds was first started at preschool he used to come home smelling of perfume. I was happy about it, I knew they had been cuddling him. The smell on your baby won't last forever, I wouldn't mention it to your friend. I would think you were a bit odd if you said to me anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now