Advanced search

About pillow cases having 'housewife' written on the packaging?

(92 Posts)
brettgirl2 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:13:36

In Sainsbury's. I mean have I entered a timewarp and gone back to 1950? I was shock and put them straight back on the shelf.

southeastastra Thu 20-Mar-14 17:14:13

they have always been called that

Famzilla Thu 20-Mar-14 17:14:22

Isn't it like a certain cut or something?

southeastastra Thu 20-Mar-14 17:14:32

it's just a style

Shockers Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:38

It's a traditional name that identifies a certain type of pillowcase.

Manchesterhistorygirl Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:38

Are you usually professionally offended? It's just the type of pillowcase and have been called that for always.

imnottoofussed Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:43

yes they've always been called that, its a certain style of pillow case, I think the ones with the extra flappy bits at the side but could be wrong

orangepudding Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:49

It's just the name of the style. You can also get Oxford pillow cases.

brettgirl2 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:16:01

So surely the name should be changed?

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 20-Mar-14 17:16:21

It's the name for the type of pillowcase it is.
It's always been so, and not just in Sainsbury's.

brettgirl2 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:16:33

Oxford Pillow cases are somewhat different surely?

GertTheFlirt Thu 20-Mar-14 17:17:26

Why should the name be changed? It's a style.

LoonvanBoon Thu 20-Mar-14 17:17:46

It's the somewhat odd name for a style of pillow case, isn't it? There are Housewife pillow cases & Oxford pillow cases.

One of them is the plain rectangular pillow case, the other the style with edging that doesn't get filled with pillow. Sorry, that's a shite description! Can't remember which is which either - & I guess it's still a weird name. But so is Oxford pillow case.

Nanny0gg Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:06

Oxford pillowcases are the ones with the extra border beyond the pillow.

Housewife is just the name of the style.


LoonvanBoon Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:14

X-posted with everybody!

ThefutureMrsTatum Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:14

They are the style with the fringe bit round the edge, oxford are the noormal ones. I think they have always been called this, maybe it's because they have a skirt?

MegTheCat Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:25

Oxford are the ones with the flappy bit all round. Housewife are the plain ones.

brettgirl2 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:19:17

Because 'housewife' is a vile sexist term. I concede that my knowledge of pillow cases is somewhat sketchy clearly grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 20-Mar-14 17:19:54


StealthPolarBear Thu 20-Mar-14 17:20:20

Well I never knew that grin
I knew our new pillow cases were called 'oxford' but assumed that was some sort of brand name, not a generic description.
I prefer the ones without the flappy bits, the way DH puts them together we have enough pillowcase without pillow without adding extra on deliberately

brettgirl2 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:20:34

And I have bought plain pillowcases before confused . Where have I been? ??

EverythingsDozy Thu 20-Mar-14 17:20:54

I call myself a housewife (even though I'm now separated).
Should I not be? Genuine question - am I encouraging sexism by calling myself a housewife? What am I, otherwise?

StealthPolarBear Thu 20-Mar-14 17:20:59

brett we clearly both need to go back to the 1950s and study. Tis the only way we'll keep our men

WestmorlandSausage Thu 20-Mar-14 17:21:36

why is housewife a vile sexist term?

I mean I guess it is ever so slightly old fashioned

But vile? confused

hunreeeal Thu 20-Mar-14 17:21:45

YANBU. Yes, that's the name given to that style up to now. But when a name comes from a sexist tradition (such as men not doing housework and women not working) I agree it should be changed. Or at least they should introduce a house-husband style as well! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: