Talk

Advanced search

to think it is not on to air other peoples dirty laundry like this?

(21 Posts)
Bogeyface Thu 20-Mar-14 16:27:52

In the local paper today

"CONGRATULATIONS to XX XX and XX XX on (paraphrasing) successfully winning your court case against XX XX and others regarding XX ongoing care.

Now you can cut family ties with the XX, XX and XX and their vile facebook site. From your REAL family and friends"

I would be fecking FUMING if someone had put that in the local paper! It names everyone involved, the full name of what was actually fought in court....it was horrible.

Air your own dirty laundry if you must, but someone elses? I am sure they thought they were being supportive, but I would be horrified if that was me that had been named.

AIBU to think they should have kept their congratulations private?

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 20-Mar-14 16:31:16

Unless the people did it themselves to get attention? (highly possible..) Or they consented to it?

YANBU though, it is not on to do that really.

HighlanderMam Thu 20-Mar-14 16:32:16

A whole new level of JK style drama..

Bogeyface Thu 20-Mar-14 16:33:09

Little that did cross my mind, in a "Hah! Up yours!" to the people they won the court case against. Which makes Highlanders word even more accurate....totally JK.

innisglas Thu 20-Mar-14 16:34:48

Yuck. Way back in the early sixties my sister's divorce was fully reported in the local paper, as was the norm. It was awful for her.

softlysoftly Thu 20-Mar-14 16:41:11

shock

GertTheFlirt Thu 20-Mar-14 16:43:32

Depending on the area, local papers till report cases. However as 1 in 10 are for TV licence defaults it's not that interesting.

Unless it was a family court involving children, anyone can go and listen to any court case. It's public record.

Bogeyface Thu 20-Mar-14 16:59:25

This wasnt reported, this was in the Family Announcements bit (hatched matched and dispatched as my mother calls it) where you usually get congrats on births, engagements, big birthdays etc. So whoever was in the "REAL family and friends" group, paid to have this announcement put in!

bochead Thu 20-Mar-14 17:12:00

If it involved children/vulnerable adults isn't that opening the advertiser up to the possibility of prosecution themselves?

phantomnamechanger Thu 20-Mar-14 17:14:50

ye gods that's crass, bleurgh!

phantomnamechanger Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:39

not to mention tacky

Bogeyface Thu 20-Mar-14 17:59:39

Bock it didnt involve a child and I suspect from what was written it was the care of an elderly family member. Tbh, I smell an argument about money/POA.

TheBody Thu 20-Mar-14 18:10:08

sounds horrible. what a tacky thing to do.

gertiegusset Thu 20-Mar-14 18:46:45

Shocked at the paper for printing it.

gertiegusset Thu 20-Mar-14 18:49:09

In fact, sounds like the paper has left itself wide open if it didn't check all the facts first.

Nohootingchickenssleeping Thu 20-Mar-14 18:50:18

Jeremy Kyle Rejects

NewtRipley Thu 20-Mar-14 18:52:43

Eeeew. Not classy at all. Vindictiveness never looks good on paper, however justified whatever it was that drove it.

NewtRipley Thu 20-Mar-14 18:53:00

And yy to ?libel

Bogeyface Thu 20-Mar-14 18:54:17

Not sure about libel as there didnt seem to be any accusations, just facts of what the case was and who won.

Very stupid and tacky thing to do either way.

Viviennemary Thu 20-Mar-14 18:59:05

Most papers would refuse to print such a thing. But people do get furious about these family rows so I can kind of understand folk wanting to do this.

Bogeyface Fri 21-Mar-14 18:19:26

Small Update

Today there was an apology printed from the paper to the people named as the losers of the case. Not sure that they should be ones apologising tbh, but there you go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now