Talk

Advanced search

Artificial grass & dog poop

(14 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Thu 20-Mar-14 12:41:24

Well with spring well on its way and being blessed with warm days . We are braving the outdoors again. A friend of mine had her garden worked on last year it's lovely. They have a very big dog that does his business on the artificial lawn. It always gets cleaned up.
We keep getting invited round to play but I don't like the thought of my kids running/rolling about on the lawn.
Must add I'm not a massive dog lover . I know they have to poop, it grosses me out that's all.
Am I being a snob ???shock

ThornOfCamorr Thu 20-Mar-14 12:46:33

I would feel the same. How do they clean it? Dogs poo on real grass and i guess its picked up and the residue is naturally washed away by rain,probably the same with artificial grass. Never wanted a dog although i like them i dont want the mess to clean up. Someone I know has rabbits and artificial grass. Do they try to eat it?

ThornOfCamorr Thu 20-Mar-14 12:47:09

YANBU by the way but then I feel the same grin

fishybits Thu 20-Mar-14 12:50:26

Much easier to hosed down and disinfect artificial grass than the real stuff.

LokiDokey Thu 20-Mar-14 12:54:06

Suspect artificial grass is also aerated so any germs or poo flakes will be washed into the ground with the rain the same as real grass.

Anomaly Thu 20-Mar-14 12:54:59

We have this on a small part of the garden. I clean it up and if any is left hose it down. So we get rid of residue Whereas I doubt those with actual lawns do.

nostress Thu 20-Mar-14 12:56:58

Is this stressing you out OP? The way you can rationalise it is that every bit of ground anywhere will have some sort of poop residue on it - bird, mouse, rat, creepy crawlies, dog, cat etc. Any sample with have 'germs' in it. You can not escape it its everywhere. Its also TOTALLY NORMAL. Its the reason we have an immune system after all. Ifs its really bothering then talk to your friend and ask if they are up to date with worming (should be every 3-6months). As that is the main concern with dog poop. Also teach your children to wash their hands with soap and water before they eat!

I'm sure you kids would love to go and play at you friend's house.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 20-Mar-14 13:13:11

I don't want to appear rude to her. We are quite close . She's very good in bringing her kids to mine it's about a 20 min drive. I can't keep expecting to her to do it. It churns my stomach !

Jolleigh Thu 20-Mar-14 16:08:06

Her artificial grass is probably cleaner than normal grass as after poo pick up, it would also be hosed down. Try not to stress.

leadrightfoot Thu 20-Mar-14 17:25:23

So because it is artificial grass potential residual dog poop is a problem? If it were real grass would you have even thought of this? Clearly there is residual poop on real grass too!

Hope you can get over such irrational illogical thoughts and let the DCs enjoy some time in the fresh air.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 20-Mar-14 21:50:27

Oh they get plenty of fresh air. She isn't our only source of fresh air!!!!

ThornOfCamorr Thu 20-Mar-14 22:11:27

I still can't get along with the idea of plastic grass grin

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 20-Mar-14 22:40:14

Nope nor me :-)

ohldoneedtogetagrip Thu 20-Mar-14 22:57:23

We did this a couple of tears ago to stop the dog bringing mud into the house. He really doesn't like to do his business on it but if he does it is no different than on normal grass-the rain washes it away.
I did try to "sterilize" a small patch with boiling water---mistake--right at the beginning and it kind of melted blush so now l just dilute some milton in a watering can now and again and sprinkle all over.

I think it is no different that normal grass-except that there is less work to keep today and less mess in the rain and snow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now