Advanced search

To think if you're determined to be a tailgate wanker

(91 Posts)
SuffolkNWhat Thu 20-Mar-14 10:47:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

30SecondsToVenus Thu 20-Mar-14 10:48:52

Yabu... Have you seen the Italian job? wink

LokiDokey Thu 20-Mar-14 10:52:02

It's a funny quirk of my little old car that when other cars sit inches off it's bumper it slows down.

True story...

I was travelling up to Mums house, main road, 30 limit. I'd got some chav lad up my arse end, inches from me. I was doing 33, he obviously needed to be faster. There is a bend in the road that then leads to a straight and on that straight very often sits the speed camera van. I slowed as I rounded the bend and sure enough there was the camera van, pointing my way.

Unfortunately for chav boy he couldn't see that far as he was still so far up my arse so when he floored it, music blaring and smurf swinging as he overtook, he didn't see the van. He didn't see it for quite some time actually. I do hope he enjoyed his fine. I was wetting myself laughing.

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 10:53:52

Thank you , thank you, thank you for the "others have been known to do 40 all the way" I hate driving on country roads I don't know well and that describes me. I'm taking from your post you don't think that's unreasonable driving?

If there is traffic behind me I will pull in.

Methe Thu 20-Mar-14 10:55:26

My car has the same quirk as Loki and an extra one which means it speeds up if someone try's to undertake me.

Funny things cars grin

EatDessertFirst Thu 20-Mar-14 10:58:30

Mine does the same thing as Loki and Methe!?

How strange! wink

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:01:44

Methe I don't think speeding up when someone is trying to overtake you is particularly big or clever.

In the situation described here when I'm pootling along at 40 on a country road I often slow down when someone overtakes as it's best for all concerned ,including any one who might be coming the other way, if we spend as little time together as possible.

LokiDokey Thu 20-Mar-14 11:02:32

caitlin Methe said undertake not overtake

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:03:37

What the hell is "undertake"?

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:04:07

What the hell is "undertake"?

whattodoforthebest2 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:04:37

Overtaking on the inside

BrianButterfield Thu 20-Mar-14 11:04:48

God, don't do 40 all the way! It's ok not to drive at 60 all the time (allowing for bends/visibility etc) but 40 on clear stretches is annoying. Mind you I am a magnet for BMW/Audi drivers who think my driving at the speed limit is a terrible trial for them.

changedirection Thu 20-Mar-14 11:06:34

Caitlin - no, 40 mph all the way is very unreasonable on roads where, as stated in op, the limit is 30 in places. Where speed limit allows faster 40 may be sensible, or irritatingly slow, depending on the road. Perhaps some driving lessons would be a good idea?

Methe Thu 20-Mar-14 11:06:52

Undertaking is overtaking but on one of the inside lanes. It's illegal.

SuffolkNWhat Thu 20-Mar-14 11:07:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:08:56

Right then my comment stands. Whether it's overtaking on the outside or undertaking on the inside it's not big or clever to make a dangerous move by a potential idiot /aggressive move more dangerous. Let them get out of the way and out of your hair.

Caitlin17 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:11:25

Suffolk do you seriously think I'm stupid enough to do 40 in a 30 mile zone? That is not remotely what I meant. I never exceed the speed limit. I'm not going to drive on a 2 lane , windy , country road at 60

Methe Thu 20-Mar-14 11:14:53

It's the undertaker who's making the dangerous move Caitlin

fluffyraggies Thu 20-Mar-14 11:15:13

I despise tail-gaters with a passion. Total, total wankers. Bastards the lot of them.

Particularly annoying are the prats who want to go faster but don't have the balls to overtake.

These particular idiots drive up your arse until there's an opportunity to safely pass and then miraculously drop back a bit. Because they look bloody stupid driving up your bum on a straight empty bit of road.

ashamed to say that IME round here that last category is usually women driving 4x4s

ViviPru Thu 20-Mar-14 11:15:48

Drive a car bigger than a classic Mini?

It's not about the size of car though, it's the BHP-weight ratio and centre of gravity. A Mini Cooper weighs 600kg -ish, and with around 70bhp it's a rocket, especially round corners with it's low centre of gravity, on the straights, not so much. Would you be happier with me tailgating you in the Prumobile with my 1700kg/340bhp? (Rhetorical. I know you wouldn't. I wouldn't do it either unless I was in a mad rush and you were irking me in other ways.

Incidentally, I had a souped-up stripped-out Cinquecento revving like a bastard behind me around the roundabouts in town yesterday. O how I enjoyed gently unleashing the might of the Prumobile when we reached the bypass. Buhbye little man.

Dawndonnaagain Thu 20-Mar-14 11:16:24

There are two stretches of road near me, one is very straight, infact it's known locally as 'the straight', people do exactly what Suffolk said on there, 40, in the 30 bit and the 60 part. Drives me nuts. The other road to the nearest little Broads town is quite winding and with beautiful views across the valley. Almost impossible to overtake. It's so flaming frustrating when the tourists are admiring the scenery at 20 on a 60 road and there's absolutely nowhere to overtake. I too know the roads well and drive accordingly. I accept that others don't and take that into account, within reason. Oh, and drive up my arse and I'll only do 20!
Suffolk I suspect you know where I mean!

fluffyraggies Thu 20-Mar-14 11:17:18

oh and for info i drive a BMW and don't dawdle. but still get tailgated.

hoppingmad Thu 20-Mar-14 11:18:37

Op I presume he couldn't overtake you on straights because you sped up at those bits. Why didn't you hold off a bit and let him pass?
I don't like tailgaters but equally I don't like drivers who know someone is trying to pass and play silly beggars - they're as bad as each other

ViviPru Thu 20-Mar-14 11:18:37

GAH with you on your most recent post OP. Dopey molehusbands who meander through the lanes at 45 (don't they REALISE I'm late for pump?) then continue at 45 through the villages. Idiotheadfaces.

fluffyraggies Thu 20-Mar-14 11:21:06

molehusbands grin

so wrong but so right! ha ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now