Talk

Advanced search

...if I don't tell my friend that her tattoo is spelt wrong?

(229 Posts)
Nessalina Thu 20-Mar-14 07:56:10

Just that really!
A friend has posted a picture on Facebook of her new tattoo and there is a word spelt wrong! I won't say what for fear of outing, but it's got two extra letter in by accident shock
No one has noticed that's posted on Facebook, and I've checked that it's not a prank (no google images of the same picture) so I think it's an honest mistake.
But... I can't see that me telling her would be helpful, I mean, it's permanent! There isn't a pretty way to fix it, and surely someone else will notice and tell her? Right?
I'm such a coward confused

formerbabe Thu 20-Mar-14 07:56:54

Don't say anything! She won't thank you for it!

YouTheCat Thu 20-Mar-14 07:59:25

Has she misspelled it when she has asked for what she wanted or has the tattoo artist?

If it's the latter, I'd be wanting my money back for a start. And she should go to a better tattoo place next time. Any decent one wants their work to look good as it's an ad for their business.

TheFillyjonk Thu 20-Mar-14 08:06:28

I think most tattoo artists cannot be held responsible for misspelt words or poor translation. It is the usually client's responsibility.

Stay schtumm

Fontofnowt Thu 20-Mar-14 08:09:54

Can't you pm her and point it out?
Better from a pal I would think.

ArgyMargy Thu 20-Mar-14 08:12:46

She may not care (few people do care about spelling, it seems) but if she does, you will be the one raining on her parade. I would keep quiet.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 20-Mar-14 08:17:48

I would have blurted it out by now, some mistakes can be corrected thou, depends how its done.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 20-Mar-14 08:21:50

If she finds out sooner rather than later wouldn't she be able to do something about it? Even if it's just going after the illiterate tattooist for compensation...

eddielizzard Thu 20-Mar-14 08:21:54

ughggh don't say a word. can she see it? maybe she doesn't know.

ladymariner Thu 20-Mar-14 08:22:17

What argy said

PartyPoison Thu 20-Mar-14 08:23:42

I know someone who has "norty but nice" when it was pointed out that it was spelt wrong she said she knows and that's the other way to spell "naughty" and how she likes to spell it. -I can't actually believe that this is the case-
So it may be spelt wrong on purpose <clutches at straws>

PartyPoison Thu 20-Mar-14 08:24:15

Oops strikeout fail! confused

craftynclothy Thu 20-Mar-14 08:24:16

What is the word and how is it spelt?

totally unhelpful but I'm a nosy cow

UriGeller Thu 20-Mar-14 08:25:58

Tell her tell her! When she finds out, which she will anyway, she won't appreciate her "friend" not telling her it was incorrect.

If it was me (absolutely never going to happen, I'm too much of a spelling pedant) I would want to know so it could be fixed before I put anymore photos on the Internet. There's a website that just shows crap tattoos you know.

Nessalina Thu 20-Mar-14 08:27:19

Not to dripfeed but I'm frightened of outing her!
It's on her upper thigh, and 'captures' has been spelt 'capturures'.
Being as she will only ever see it upside down or backward in a mirror I think there's a good chance she may never notice...

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 08:30:42

It is easier to remove a tattoo via laser very soon after it has been done. So if she was able to get the extra letter removed and some sort of repair done by changing the design, it might be better to tell her.

As other posters have said, if it is the tattooist's cock up rather than a case of her getting it wrong, then that's another reason why it's better for her to find out sooner rather than later - she should have a good case for them having to fund the removal of the letter and the work to repair the design.

Tricky though. I'd probably say something, because I'd just get too wound up having to keep quiet about it.

nilbyname Thu 20-Mar-14 08:31:19

Ha! That's awful! Oh well at least it's someplace discreet. Say nothing!

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 08:32:42

Oh dear.

No one misspells that. Well, not like that anyway. Sounds more like the tattooist forgot where they were in the word and did the letters twice.

Is it at the end of the phrase? If so, could be lasered and changed.

UriGeller Thu 20-Mar-14 08:33:09

...Until she's on the beach sunbathing and people are sniggering as they walk past.

"Sweetheart, did you know its not spelled completely right? You want me to come with you to bollock the tattooist?" Is the way to do it.

Please tell her so she can remove the photo before someone unkind posts it to http://wtftattoos.com/

EauRouge Thu 20-Mar-14 08:33:42

Tell her, but do it by PM, not by commenting on the photo. She's going to show it to more people and she will eventually find out that it's spelt wrong. I'd want to know sooner rather than later.

UriGeller Thu 20-Mar-14 08:35:31

here

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 20-Mar-14 08:39:12

I agree with cardamom that it sounds like a tattooist mistake rather than a spelling fail. I think I might tell her privately.

Nessalina Thu 20-Mar-14 08:45:10

I don't know how it works. If you want a phrase, do you write it down and go in with it, or do you just say what you want and hope they can spell? It does look like the needle has got carried away to me...
Oh man, I just don't know if I can tell her confused But I feel like I should!

winklewoman Thu 20-Mar-14 08:45:33

Uri grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now