Talk

Advanced search

To think that being a mum is the best job in the world?

(81 Posts)
FeelingSoLucky Wed 19-Mar-14 22:52:06

I think I'm becoming a bit of a baby bore amongst my friends so thought I'd come here instead! My pfb DD is 18 weeks old and sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how much I love her. We were trying for a baby for over 8 years and had almost given up hope when this time last year I got a very surprising bfp. Since that day, I feel like a black cloud has been lifted from my life and I don't think I've ever been this happy. I love every aspect of being a mum, even the difficult bits and I can't imagine loving anything more than my beautiful baby!

She has been especially cute today and just needed to share this with someone! Sorry to be a baby bore!

Forgettable Wed 19-Mar-14 22:54:03

Awwww that is really lovely

Sniff your baby's head for me please.

NoodleOodle Wed 19-Mar-14 22:54:53

Ah, the smell of a baby - you're making me broody!

FeelingSoLucky Wed 19-Mar-14 23:18:13

She's just had her last feed & I had a sniff of her head for you forgettable! Why do babies smell so wonderful?! I never imagined having a baby could feel this good, it's worth the sleepless nights & dirty nappies! smile

tinfoilhat Wed 19-Mar-14 23:25:14

Aaaaah, your post made me all teary! How wonderful, and yes, it is the best job in the world! Enjoy every precious moment, I wish I could do it all over again. Xx

BlackeyedSusan Wed 19-Mar-14 23:26:59

I think I sniffed do much that I hoovered the cradle cap out if her hair.

mowmylawn Wed 19-Mar-14 23:28:53

It's just the hormones, it won't last - I called my 23-month old daughter a jerk behind her back this weekend. How quickly we fall. I jest (mostly), it's cool you're enjoying this time as usually this is when things are so difficult so excellent that you are having such a great experience!

BackforGood Wed 19-Mar-14 23:29:04

Well, congratulations, and I understand your total bliss after such a long wait, smile but I can't agree with your suggestion that being a Mum is the best job in the world...

Lets just consider.....

It's 24/7, so you never get a night's sleep, you never get a lie in, you never get an evening, you never get a weekend, you never get a holiday....

Then there's the fact it's not paid....

Then there's no training - you are just chucked in at the deep end and there is no manual.....

It's for life - you can't retire, or leave the job if you are not enjoying it anymore.....

I could go on, but you get the gist - if you saw it advertised, it's not very attractive, is it?

grin

Forgettable Wed 19-Mar-14 23:29:29

Oh I have a lump in my throat

Have an un mnetty hug and a big squeeze too.

CailinDana Wed 19-Mar-14 23:29:36

Oh how I enjoyed picking cradle cap off my two...

It is great OP, enjoy every moment.

EatShitDerek Wed 19-Mar-14 23:37:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeaLola Wed 19-Mar-14 23:39:40

So so agree.

I dont know what it must feel like to huggle your baby but my pfonly Ds arrived at 4.5 yrs old via adoption and after many years of ivf, surgery and miscarriages is the most wondrous thing in the world.

Tonight before he went to bed he wrote on a piece of paper "I love you Mummy and daddy " followed by23 kisses and 1 heart. Love him.

Thetallesttower Wed 19-Mar-14 23:40:59

I thought this was going to be a thread about whether full-time mums are really mums or something like that- instead it's just adorable, you love your little baby so much and it's making me broody too!

tinfoilhat Thu 20-Mar-14 08:00:26

Despite the terrible job description - I still think it's the best job in the world! Even after tough days, I have never once gone to bed without thinking how lucky I am and how wonderful they are.

ivykaty44 Thu 20-Mar-14 08:07:36

I love being a mum, it has been very challenging at times, with challenges I never even dreamed about when my first born was 18weeks, eldest is now 21 and a young woman I am pleased to spend time with.

Moomaloo Thu 20-Mar-14 10:08:11

Bealola you made me cry!

wonderingsoul Thu 20-Mar-14 10:15:31

ynbu..

what a lovely post.. and you are right there is something about baby smells. my bf just ha d a baby.. well he'll be one in a couple of weeks (how the hell did that happen) every time we met up she would atomaticly hand me him so i could smell him. we worked out they lose that baby smell at about 9-10 months... grin

it is the best job in the world.. but imo one of the hardest, most stressful jobs ever...the only job that you wont give up on no matter how hard it gets, no matter how many times it makes you cry.

aworkingmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 10:36:12

That really made me smile OP - what a lovely post.
And has made me all broody again!

EatDessertFirst Thu 20-Mar-14 11:02:59

Love this thread.

Being a Mum is the best job in the world. I hated the "baby bit" personally not the maternal type but now I regret not relishing it as I had two easy babies. At 5 and 3 they are my world. I am looking forward to knowing the people they will become.

(I do miss the baby smell though)

Joysmum Thu 20-Mar-14 11:06:04

I love being a mum, when I had my daughter it was like a dawning realisation that that was my purpose in life, to be a mum.

I wouldn't call it a job though, although I un's rand it's just a phrase.

Joysmum Thu 20-Mar-14 11:06:15

*understand

Bodicea Thu 20-Mar-14 11:29:36

yanbu. i am so in love with my 19 week old. Despite him having horrendous eczema and it being a daily battle to keep it under control it is still the best thing ever. marooned on couch at the mo as he is asleep on me.

However never really had the nice baby smell thing. He always has a cheesy head or smelly farts!

very lovely post and I agree with you.

janey68 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:40:47

I have to say I think it gets even better.... They're even more fun when they're older

Waggamamma Thu 20-Mar-14 11:48:26

Being a mum isn't actually a job though is it? There are plenty of mums who also have jobs.

Yanbu tp be totally besotted with your baby and enjoy caring for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now