Talk

Advanced search

To think this documentary is actually really upsetting...

(21 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:03:15

Did anyone see the Documentary: "Undercover Doctor: Cure me I'm Gay" ??

Basically Dr Christian Jensen (off the TV) goes undercover and travels to various places and clinics across America and Europe where they claim to be able to cure homosexuality.

I'm sitting watching it now and am absolutely gobsmacked at some of the vile attitudes that people still have towards homosexuality and the shameful and degrading 'treatments' that are being offered.

I find it upsetting to watch, I can't imagine how sh*t it would make me feel if I was actually gay. Dr Christian has been in tears a few times on the show sad

kotinka Wed 19-Mar-14 19:05:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shakinstevenslovechild Wed 19-Mar-14 19:08:16

I watched a documentary on Netflix the other week about a young lad who was forced by his parents to go to a religious camp to 'cure' him from being gay.

It was horrifying, there were adults who had booked themselves in, people who believe they were cured, and others who were forced there against their will and brainwashed, and worse.

I found that pretty upsetting, so I didn't watch the one last night, it's very sad that people are making a living out of 'curing' something that can't, and doesn't need to be cured.

MammaTJ Wed 19-Mar-14 19:24:30

I watched it last night and I wondered what his long term partner thought of him doing it.

I think he just thought all the 'therapies' were a load of nonsense and wouldn't work, so it would be ok. He was right!

I loved that they people that had been 'cured' wouldn't get tested.

NurseyWursey Wed 19-Mar-14 19:24:59

It really upset me too. So horrible

Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:28:54

I found it a little odd that it was all focused on male homosexuality - I know obviously that was a main focus due to Dr Christian being male, but I was a little surprised that lesbianism wasn't mentioned (unless I missed it), the nature of the programme came across as though they thought only male homosexuality was wrong.

nancy75 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:30:36

people that believe you can cure gayness probably don't believe in lesbians

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 19-Mar-14 19:32:46

The things people do to try and 'cure' lesbianism wouldn't be allowed to be broadcast.

shakinstevenslovechild Wed 19-Mar-14 19:33:14

The one that I watched was American and they didn't think lesbians were real as they can't have sex, apparently there has to be a penis involved for sex to count confused

Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:34:09

What do they do hop?

blanchedeveraux Wed 19-Mar-14 19:34:22

It was a horrible programme. I've no idea why he put himself through it because as a gay man in a committed relationship, happy with his sexuality, the "experiment" was rendered null and void by the fact that he personally had no desire to change...not that it would have "worked" in any circumstance as it's a load of undiluted bollocks.

My heart broke for him in the NHS test (so distressing to learn this was still being done in the 80s). He reminds me of a very close friend so that made it even worse, I kept imagining him in the same scenario and I couldn't stop crying.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:42:06

When it was explained how the men are shut in that room for days at a time surrounded by their own faeces and vomit and are given the 'treatment' every 2 hours throughout the day and night I was just disgusted. My guess is he agreed to do it because he had NO idea just how bad things were - I'm guessing it was just as big an eye opener to him as it was to us.

AuroraRoared Wed 19-Mar-14 19:46:48

I found it really distressing too - I hope he hasn't suffered any long-term psychological damage from the vomiting "therapy".

MamaPain Wed 19-Mar-14 19:48:37

Being raped my a man is often considered treatment for lesbianism unfortunately.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 19-Mar-14 19:54:56

Yes mama, 'corrective rape'. Quite common in lots of of places homosexuality is outlawed/forbidden.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:56:01

Oh my God hop and mama - that's awful. Those poor women.

MsMarvel Wed 19-Mar-14 19:59:10

What channel was it on? Could I get it on catch up?

kotinka Wed 19-Mar-14 19:59:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NurseyWursey Wed 19-Mar-14 19:59:56

It's on 4od MsMarvel, I watched it earlier online

Nomama Wed 19-Mar-14 20:22:00

I meant to watch it, my uncle went through some 'interesting' moments in his youth, when being gay was still illegal.

I think I 'forgot' it accidentally on purpose!

DumbleDee Wed 19-Mar-14 20:47:47

YANBU. I was incensed watching it. How horrendous in this day and age that those beliefs still exist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now