Talk

Advanced search

Horrid Neighbours

(92 Posts)
dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 12:46:55

My neighbour has always been rude and unreasonable from the offset. When my son used to play football in the back garden, and on the very odd occasion the ball went over, he would take great delight in getting his dog to burst the ball then throw it over or just let his dog keep it as a chewtoy. When he had a family and his kids grew up, and THEIR ball came over, i was expected to be reasonable and throw it back, which I was, because i'm not cruel and petty, and kids will be kids.
We share a drive too, and on one occasion my son was going up and down on his scooter, and his wife came out and told my son he wasnt allowed to play in the drive, so I stopped him from playing in the drive , which was fair enough. When his son grew up, he was playing footie in the drive, and i told his father i didnt want him playing in the drive, as i expected the same respect i gave him when his wife told my son not to play in the drive.
We had a huge row, and he called us a family of freaks, and called my then 14 year old soon a "shirt lifter" and "gay bod", he also told me I was fat and ugly and squared up to my husband. The police were called and he was told to stop causing trouble, and we had a fence erected which was wonderful.
We have had little contact with him since, but during the storms a few weeks back, the ridge tiles off his roof blew onto our car, writing it off completely...though it wasnt our fault hes been very unreasonable and told us it was an act of god, so we'll have to claim off our insurance. We have lost our no claims, (20 years of careful driving) and have to pay the excess of £400, so it leaves us with very little to buy a decent car, his roof was in a very bad state of disrepair anyway,so we have sent photos and our insurance company are fighting his insurance company for liability.
He didnt even apologise or offer us a penny , and we're still waiting for the cheque , so we're car-less and hundreds of pounds down thanks to him. Every time i see him i just want to scream at him, and hes been so vile and unreasonable, and I've had enough, Ive told my hubby im going to ask him to pay the excess, or at least contribute to it, but my husband has told me to leave well alone, im at my wits end, what shall i do????

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:07:46

He also expects to come onto my side of the drive to repoint his garage in a few weeks time, im just tempted to tell him to go forth and multiply...

Nomama Wed 19-Mar-14 13:09:47

CAB!

Go and ask them what your rights are. You may not have any claim, the prat may be right! If the roof was sound then he was not negligent. It wasn't his fault either.

Sometimes that is what insurance is for - making bad neighbours marginally more bearable!

Nomama Wed 19-Mar-14 13:10:34

Do tell him to F off. He can lie on the roof with a roller on one of those long poles.

Pipbin Wed 19-Mar-14 13:12:27

If he wants to claim that the roof tiles are an act of god then he should prove that god exists.

Nennypops Wed 19-Mar-14 13:13:25

There's not much point in asking him to pay the excess unless you're prepared to sue him for it. He's obviously not going to pay it voluntarily.

But you could suggest that he will be allowed access to your side of the drive only when he has paid up.

samanthaBaines Wed 19-Mar-14 13:13:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:14:37

His roof was in a bad state of repair beforehand, there were so many tiles loose/missing, and its covered in moss, so we took pics and are trying to prove hes negligent, but its proving tough.If it had been my roof that collapsed on his care, id be so ashamed, id at least offer an apology and give him something towards the excess.

LiberalLibertine Wed 19-Mar-14 13:15:33

Yes to telling him to piss off re the garage.

No to going round there asking for help with excess, you know he'll say no, and take huge delight in it the knob

LiberalLibertine Wed 19-Mar-14 13:17:22

Reported Samantha does mummy know you're not at school?

KittyTwatknicker Wed 19-Mar-14 13:17:32

Get off here Samantha, we don't need another pathetic troll.

Bramshott Wed 19-Mar-14 13:17:38

He sounds like an arse.

Problem is, if you don't allow him access to re-point his garage, and you are separately arguing that his roof wasn't well-maintained, he may bring it up as in "well at the moment I'm trying to maintain my garage acceptably, but the OP won't allow me access to do so".

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:18:41

Samantha, get some help, you're not wanted you pathetic sad weirdo

MajorGrinch Wed 19-Mar-14 13:20:48

It's too late now as you've claimed it on your insurance already.

What should have happened is that he should have claimed it on his house insurance.

And no, I wouldn't let the twat use my drive to access his roof....

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:23:30

majorgrinch, if we are successful in suing his insurance,via our insurance company, we can get our £400 excess back, plus our NCB will remain intact, but I don't hold out much hope

samanthaBaines Wed 19-Mar-14 13:23:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gordyslovesheep Wed 19-Mar-14 13:25:07

Yanbu op he sounds like a.nightmare x

Pootles2010 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:29:34

There's nothing you can do about the roof/car issue, let insurance companies sort it out. I know our fence fell on neighbours car and both insurers said it was for his to pay, not ours, though thankfully there was a lot less damage in our case.

He sounds awful, but you need to separate out the two issues.

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:30:25

Samantha, you strange and twisted creature, I never said my son was gay, it was a mere pathetic insult off my neighbour , a sad, pathetic creature with no morals or substance, very much like yourself. If he was, that is not your concern, take your pathetic homophobic nonsense elsewhere , and try doing something constructive with your time, you weird little troll.

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:34:03

Pootles, I hear what youre saying, but it seems so unreasonable, when we go out shopping on foot, he sniggers at us, and takes great amusement in the fact he's caused us so much inconvenience, yet he expects us to be reasonable when he wants something from us ie coming on to our peoperty to repoint his garage

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 19-Mar-14 13:35:17

When he asks about coming on to your property for the re-pointing, just say a polite 'no, it's not convenient'. Don't scream and shout (although it sounds very justified), become an iceberg. Let the insurance battle it out and try not to get into confrontations with him, because he sounds like a prick and a bully and even though you are in the right, you will never come away from those kind of arguments feeling like anything has been achieved, and he probably wont ever stop being a bully and a prick.

If he comes onto your property, tell him to leave and if he wont then call the police?

Pootles2010 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:37:27

Oh no i agree he sounds a nasty twat, but you need to rise above it - he's obviously getting kicks out of your upset.

LisaMed Wed 19-Mar-14 13:37:28

OP - I suspect that someone called 'Samantha Baines' has upset the troll, so they are using the intro, 'samantha baines here' to get her into trouble. Hugs, you are having enough grief without having collateral damage.

I'd let them repoint the garage and after they've paid for everything get ivy growing up and trashing the mortar, but that's just me.

good luck!

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:38:07

hopalong, thats what we intend to do, but he's such a vile piece of work, he'll just carry on regardless, so i guess then it will become a police matter...

dollyholly123 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:39:25

thanks Lisa, thats very sweet, Goodness knows I need a hug...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now