Talk

Advanced search

To be sick of seeeing bare faces on Facebook.

(32 Posts)
hickorychicken Wed 19-Mar-14 11:54:30

I dont like it.
I am very aware of cancer tyvm, its just people joining a fad. I feel if you dont join in people think you have no empathy etc etc.
Pissing me off. Think im coming off fb for a bit.

uselessidiot Wed 19-Mar-14 12:00:07

I don't wear make up. All my pictures are bare faced.

NurseyWursey Wed 19-Mar-14 12:00:21

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2028557-To-Have-Said-This?

come join us in our rant! Some great responses from other posters too

gordyslovesheep Wed 19-Mar-14 12:15:30

Yanbu but I am a bit fed up of the endless threads moaning about it as well grin

ephemeralfairy Wed 19-Mar-14 12:16:45

'Tis all bollocks. I hardly ever wear make-up anyway.

ThedementedPenguin Wed 19-Mar-14 12:18:53

YABU, could you not have posted on any of the other 6 threads I've seen today.

Joysmum Wed 19-Mar-14 12:19:34

I started the day thinking these selfies were self indulgent and pointless, I've now changed my mind but ONLY if people remember to post the reason for doing it. Remind women to check their breasts TODAY and to donate if they can.

We older ladies may know about breast cancer, but many younger women don't know how to check themselves.

Many older women don't know how to check themselves.

Of all the women who do know how to check themselves, many may have forgotten to recently. Your selfie should prompt them to do so.

Many would think to donate, despite being in a position to.

So yes it does raise awareness and funds, but does so most effectively when accompanied by the clear message as to why!

I've changed my mind about the selfies since realising this, who else will?

NewYorkDeli Wed 19-Mar-14 12:22:46

YABU

get off facebook then.

i have just donated money to cancer research after seeing all those selfies. i wouldn't have thought too otherwise.

it's raising awareness. simple as that.

I'm posting the info on how to donate to Cancer Research UK, via your mobile, on these, when they pop up on my FB.

hickorychicken Wed 19-Mar-14 12:29:55

NewYork were you not aware of cancer before this?

OddBoots Wed 19-Mar-14 12:31:41

I'd quite like to see a load of blokes donning a full face of make-up, maybe in a panto dame style - not for cancer, wearing or not wearing make-up does nothing for cancer - just for my own amusement.

NewYorkDeli Wed 19-Mar-14 12:33:29

of course i was hmm

but nothing wrong with a reminder from time to time that cancer research needs more donations. too many people dying from this evil disease.

the selfies certainly reminded me that i hadn't donated in a long time.

flipchart Wed 19-Mar-14 12:34:12

Why don't you just scroll past them and let it go over your head?

LoisEinhorn Wed 19-Mar-14 12:38:56

Do you not see the adverts on the tv then either?

hickorychicken Wed 19-Mar-14 12:41:49

You live a very sheltered life then avoiding tv campaigns, chuggers etc.
What a load of shit.
LOOK AT ME I AM SO CARING.
I DONATE AND TELL THE WHOLE OF FB.
Please, millions of people donate and dont say a word.

Birnamwood Wed 19-Mar-14 12:41:51

Many are posting on fb just to be a sheep and not actually saying why or even donating to CR, it's just another fb fad. It's a bit like the photos of poorly babies with the caption 'click like if you care, ignore if you don't' what do those posts actually achieve?

I'm cutting my hair off on sat for CR, not posting and potentially breaking fb a silly selfie.

Joysmum Wed 19-Mar-14 12:45:37

Hickorychicken

NewYork were you not aware of cancer before this?

My good friend had a mastectomy last week so yes, of course.

However, read my previous post, today I have donated and I have reminded myself how to, and checked my breasts thanks to this campaign. I wouldn't have done either if this hadn't of come up.

Even if you don't agree with it, I hope you've checked your breasts recently and will continue to do so, and remind others to. If you haven't, please do it.

NewYorkDeli Wed 19-Mar-14 13:44:04

i don't live a sheltered life, and yes i've seen the odd campaign on tv, but not taken much notice as i tend to have tv on whilst cleaning or in it's on in the background so to speak. don't get to watch much tv unfortunately. for me, this fb thing has been more effective.

i'm one of them who has donated and not said a word, i haven't put my selfie on fb, nor have i put on fb that i have donated. but the selfies made me stop and think, how on earth can that be a bad thing? i'd like to think that countless others have done the same as me today.

if you don't want to look at the sefies that are currently flooding fb, don't look!

Caitlin17 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:47:38

Another reason for me not to join Facebook. Oddly I've managed to become aware of screening for breast and other cancers without such sanctimonious drivel.

picnicbasketcase Wed 19-Mar-14 13:49:28

Post a picture of a bare arse and say 'Let the compliments commence'. With a tag that says 'Don't drink and drive'.

benid Wed 19-Mar-14 13:53:04

Post a picture of a bare arse and say 'Let the compliments commence'. With a tag that says 'Don't drink and drive'.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee brilliant

JonSnowIsAProperLover Wed 19-Mar-14 14:03:03

I've only seen one so far and it's from a male friend who's face is mostly beard. Not someone I'd usually associate with heavy make up..!

everlong Wed 19-Mar-14 19:02:25

Agree.
Just donate money or blood if you want to do something.

Someone on my fb ( who is lovely ) posted a photo but then had umpteen messages saying how "gawjuss" she looked with no mention about the reason for her photo.

Idiots missing the whole point.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 19-Mar-14 19:16:37

DHs cousin has threatened to post a picture of his "balls" to raise awareness for testicular cancer... his mum said no one wants to see his teeny weenie grin.

PasswordProtected Wed 19-Mar-14 19:19:30

So what does "aware" actually mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now