Talk

Advanced search

To feel sad at the playground rumour mill

(10 Posts)
TisTheSeasonToBeUnreasonable Wed 19-Mar-14 10:09:17

I have been lucky enough to avoid most playground politics up till now (DS y4) and with the exception of a few arguments have been happy to ignore any rumours (about myself or anyone else) - however recently a "friend" has been starting to tell others things about me that simply aren't true and potentially have most of the playground against me so to speak.

I know it is wholeheartedly childish and immature and I need to rise above it - but this time it has really got to me and hurt a bit - ESP as it's a "friend"

Give me a slap and some cheeriness please!

Supercosy Wed 19-Mar-14 10:10:23

Have you spoken to this so called friend about her behaviour?

TisTheSeasonToBeUnreasonable Wed 19-Mar-14 10:26:05

No actually - I was going to but unfortunately am aware she has form for getting on the defensive and so I have decided to maintain a dignified silence and just correct people when questioned about said rumour - hoping this is the solution rather than adding to the drama.

Having said that I absolutely lost my shit at a different parent 3weeks ago so perhaps I'm also wary of becoming known as a troublemaker

TryingToBePractical Wed 19-Mar-14 10:27:14

what kind of rumour was it?

frumpet Wed 19-Mar-14 10:32:20

Woah , hang on second , what does ' absolutely lost my shit ' actually mean ? could it be possible that the person who was on the recieving end of your shit has been spreading rumours ?

aquashiv Wed 19-Mar-14 10:33:14

Rise above it or confront - only you can decide if its worth it?
For me to call someone a friend there has to be trust and honesty so is she a friend?

Martorana Wed 19-Mar-14 10:35:27

"Absolutely lost my shit"???????

TisTheSeasonToBeUnreasonable Wed 19-Mar-14 10:39:24

It def wasn't the person I "lost my shit" at blush that person got a rather harsh verbal spiel from me as her son has bullied mine relentlessly for 3years and despite the school trying to intervene she kept saying it wasn't her son / it's not his fault etc - so I (quite inappropriately admittedly) had a go at her.

I agree clearly this person isn't actually a friend if they feel the need to say untrue things - I can't say what it was exactly but it was along the lines of " TIS has done x - it's bad I don't agree blah blah" when I in fact haven't done

TisTheSeasonToBeUnreasonable Wed 19-Mar-14 10:40:47

I think I shall rise above it, I know it's not true and that's all that matters - I just felt a little surprised I guess

Marylou62 Wed 19-Mar-14 11:37:12

I live in small village and DH and me got embroiled in an incident between our DD and another couples 'D'S. it was awful, it just happened and haven't talked to them for 10 years now. We were very good friends and neighbours and I did miss her very much.Obviously it was all over the village. At school or out, whenever anyone tried to talk to me about it I just said 'you have obviously heard their side and after knowing me for ever I am not getting into it with anyone. Make your own mind up about what was/is being said about me n mine.' It was quite good being able to be the bigger one and although it was horrible, years later people come and say how well our family behaved and that the other family still go on about it!! Hold your head high and just enjoy everyone trying their hardest to get the gossip!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now