Talk

Advanced search

To leave a 12 hour a week job because I'm pregnant?

(24 Posts)
Fissawissa Tue 18-Mar-14 23:14:09

I accepted a job offer before I knew I was pregnant.
I'm now 11 weeks & almost at the end (hopefully) of my afternoon nausea.
My job was a 4 hour shift 3/4 days a week while my DC was in school.
Problem was the shift was from 10-2, so I didn't get a break and couldn't eat anything so I was starving by the time I finished!
It was a very boring job basically greeting customers. The pay was shocking too. I dreaded going in every day & now feel like a huge weight has been lifted.
Would you have left?

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 23:16:41

Depends if you can afford to leave. Totally unreasonable if you cant afford it.

Pointless asking if you've already left though.

Tweasels Tue 18-Mar-14 23:19:08

If you left because you hated it that is reasonable. If you left because you are pregnant that is not so reasonable. Also going 4 hours without food is no big deal. Quite normal in most jobs confused

CoffeeTea103 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:20:57

12 hours a week isn't much really. Most people don't usually eat for 4 hours at a time.

BackforGood Tue 18-Mar-14 23:27:05

Well yes, YABU to leave because you are pregnant, however, YANBU to leave (if you can afford not to work) if you didn't like the job, or weren't enjoying it, or found it wasn't financially worthwhile once you'd paid for your commute or whatever.

saidnooneever Tue 18-Mar-14 23:33:56

Yabu if you're leaving due to being pregnant.

Yanbu if you hate it and can afford to leave.

You must have known the pay and hours when you took the job.

Susyb30 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:36:51

If you could afford to leave and you hated it then there's not really a problem. I don't think I would have left tho, sounds like it fitted round with your dc and there isnt really many jobs you can say that. Was it really so bad? 4 hour shift 3/4 days a week? Im not surprised you dont get a break for a 4 hour shift. .think thats pretty normal! When I was pregnant (and suffering all day "morning sickness") I was working full time with hardly any breaks. If I could have afforded it the job your doing sounds like a dream! Congrats on pregnancy by the way! :-)

e, on my feet all day with hardly any breaks. I was still gqq

Susyb30 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:37:57

Excuse my typing errors!

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Wed 19-Mar-14 07:07:06

When I was pregnant and working, I was standing on my feet all day, one day I and another colleague were left guarding a place for 8 hours with no break, I was hungry and dying for a piss at the end of it.

So YABU for leaving due to pregnancy.

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Wed 19-Mar-14 07:08:03

*Plane

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Mar-14 07:09:26

Everyone's pregnancy is different Lucius.

Op YANBU and don't even need to ask us.

Others who bang on about how they did loads were pregnant are BU as that was them and not you.i and others were very ill when pregnant.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Mar-14 07:10:32

I do think you might struggle to get those hours again and might want them one day but maybe noy if you hate job.

GertTheFlirt Wed 19-Mar-14 07:12:21

You wont get any SMP because your hours are short and you havent worked 26 weeks.

Fissawissa Wed 19-Mar-14 07:24:49

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know the pay until I got my contract in the post. I can afford not to have an extra £75 a week & I always new I wouldn't be getting SMP.
I suppose it was perfect hours etc but my god it was boring.
I personally don't think it's healthy not to have anything to eat at all for 4 hours whilst pregnant.

MorganLeFey Wed 19-Mar-14 08:33:00

You don't need ANY extra calories at this stage of pregnancy...

If you feel you need to eat more often than every 4 hours (what do you do at night?!) then that's your call but it's not some pregnancy rule!

MardyBra Wed 19-Mar-14 08:37:50

You sound like a bit of a wuss tbh. Four hours is fine. Lots of us have to put up with mundane jobs. Meh.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Mar-14 08:38:45

I could barely work any hours when pregnant. Am very much not a wuss.

MairzyDoats Wed 19-Mar-14 08:40:24

To be fair, going 4 hours without food when I was suffering from MS would have made me feel like utter crap - I had to pick at something constantly.

Slapperati Wed 19-Mar-14 08:43:27

In the first 12 weeks of pregnancy I would have fainted without eating every 1/2 hours

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Wed 19-Mar-14 08:48:26

Morning sickness (they need to change the name to All Day Sickness already) would've made that one difficult for me, like others I needed to just pick at things through the day, no big meals at all.

Although if I needed the cash I would've tried to stick at it because for me things got better in the second trimester, but you can't always be certain that'll happen.

And I spent last weekend showing potential new students around the university, walking two/two and a half miles every hour, getting people here, there and everywhere at 7 months pregnant but only because I do need the money so I'm definitely not a wuss!

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 19-Mar-14 08:55:49

I remember when I was pregnant with dd and working in retail, on my feet for 8 hours a day. I used to go in the toilets and cry because I was so shattered and sick.

And then get shouted at for taking too many breaks. It was fucking horrific and if I could have afforded to live without my wage I would have told them where to stick their poxy job.

Morning sickness is horrific.

If you felt too unwell to work, and you can afford not to work and you had no intention of going back to the job after the baby is born then that's your decision, no one can tell you otherwise.

I will say though, that a lot of people find their jobs boring and pointless at times. But normally you either suck it up or find a different job

schokolade Wed 19-Mar-14 08:56:05

I assume the not eating for 4 hours thing is a problem because getting hungry leads to terrible nausea and then not being able to eat for the rest of the day?

YANBU though OP. People will be along to say they worked 200 hours a week when they were 60 weeks pregnant with triplets I'm sure. Who cares though. It's what you can manage/afford that counts.

Fissawissa Wed 19-Mar-14 10:02:40

I'm not a wuss - I worked as a PA on my last pregnancy, on a bus from 6am-8am to get to work then home at 8pm. I worked up until 2 weeks before my due date .
But this pregnancy is much different , I'm shattered , have all day nausea, feeling faint etc. I know you don't have to eat but like another poster said not nibbling in something made me feel worse!
Anyway , I'm glad I left. If I wasn't pregnant it would have been perfect!

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 19-Mar-14 10:03:29

biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now