Talk

Advanced search

To speak to the school about lunctime stickers?

(5 Posts)
QueenofKelsingra Tue 18-Mar-14 17:26:35

DS1 is 4 and goes to an on-site pre-school at the local primary. He takes a packed lunch. a few times this term he has come home with a 'lunch time sticker' (its actually printed on the sticker that that is what it is), when I asked him why he got it today it was because he ate ALL of his lunch.

I do not encourage my DC to clear their plates if they are not still hungry, I am keen for my DC to have appetite control that I do not have having grown up with a 'eat everything on your plate' attitude from my parents. I don't like the idea that DS is being rewarded for eating all his food when he may not actually be that hungry.

WIBU to speak to the school and question whether this is a responsible thing to do, to reward small children for eating EVERYTHING, rather than, for example, eating some of everything provided?

TheBody Tue 18-Mar-14 17:31:23

no I think the school are trying to ensure kids actually eat their lunch rather than leave half and rush out to play which they would do if left to it.

they arnt punishing those who don't just encouraging those who do.

don't be that parent

hillyhilly Tue 18-Mar-14 17:31:35

hmmm, this gets my goat too but I've never thought to bother the school with it.
I also suspect that my DS is not allowed his pudding unless he has eaten all of his sandwich - he certainly eats more in his packed lunch than he does at home at the weekend for example.
I'll be watching with interest to see how you get on - I stopped my DD having school dinners at the same school when she told me she was having two slices of bread and butter with every meal and getting seconds or even thirds of pudding! My dd has a 'hearty appetite' but can tend to carry weight so I was appalled, but all the head had to say was that the dinner ladies were unhealthy and set in their ways.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 18-Mar-14 17:34:05

For those of us whose children would eat two mouthfuls and then disappear to play, and then spend the afternoon grumpy and starving these stickers are a good thing.

QueenofKelsingra Tue 18-Mar-14 17:34:46

the kids have a set lunch time before play so that isn't a factor thebody

my issue is some days DS eats loads, sometimes hardly anything - I always pack enough for a 'hungry' day so I don't mind if some comes back. he has no 'desert' in his lunchbox so I don't mind what he eats or doesn't out of it. I don't want him encouraged to eat more than he needs because he wants a sticker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now