Advanced search

To hate student neighbours?

(132 Posts)
LittleMilla Mon 17-Mar-14 21:11:16

We moved in to our first home in June 2012 and have painstakingly renovated it. We love it. But there's one small problem: the house next door (not attached to us) houses 8 students.

First year was fine as we hadn't done the garden and the students were relatively quiet and not really much bother (big stoners). This year has been much harder - 8 hard-partying boys.

Weekend saw 4 of them come back at 6.30am with mates and they were then in the garden all day drinking/popping pills. Cue lots of wide-eyed individuals and a dealer coming at about 4pm to provide more drugs.

Weve got two little boys, love to use our garden with friends/family but this is all upsetting me so much. I am contemplating just moving as I cannot handle another shit summer if the next lot are like this. When they're all out there 'on it' it is hard to relax and the garden wall is so close - they may as well be in our garden.

The boys individually are OK and I've been in at various times since last June to chat about bins and few noise whinges. I just don't know what to do. The music is at a reasonable level, so I can't complain about noise.

During my rational moments I tell myself that living in a city with two universities students are an inevitable part of life. And crap neighbours can happen to anyone - at least I know that this lot are going in June.


AIBU and WWYD - move or adopt more coping strategies?

specialsubject Mon 17-Mar-14 21:13:48

neither. Go round when they are sober and tell them how it is going to be. This may work if they are just stupid and selfish, as most students start off. (me included, I fear - but I wasn't like this)

Or get on to the university, or call the police to deal with the illegal stuff.

Pipbin Mon 17-Mar-14 21:15:14

As you say, at least you know that the neighbours are only for a year.

Can you contact the landlords or the letting agency?

WooWooOwl Mon 17-Mar-14 21:15:14

If it's not excessive noise that's the problem, what is it?

Is it the conversations you can hear them having over the fence? If it's that, I think it's fine for you to tell them you are aware of what they're doing and that you don't care either way, but that you don't want your children exposed to it.

If they're generally nice, they will understand and should try to keep quiet about what they're taking and who they're shagging when they're outside.

glucose Mon 17-Mar-14 21:17:38

My neighbours are crap...they complain to the landlord if I even squeek...then have major Friday night parties...have a flat in a conversion..complain to uni..its not fair that dealers are coming round your neighbourhood...

NoodleOodle Mon 17-Mar-14 21:18:09

How often are they doing it? Everyone is entitled to party, and students will party more often than others. I think you might be being a little precious.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 17-Mar-14 21:20:53

complain to the university.

YouTheCat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:21:12

Definitely complain to their landlord and the uni.

If that doesn't work, call 101 if their dealer turns up.

TribbleWithoutATardis Mon 17-Mar-14 21:23:06

At the very very least, you know they'll move at some point. It is a bit crap though.

glucose Mon 17-Mar-14 21:28:27

Entitled to party..please they are students...they expect to party, and neighbours have the right to complain..they have to be told to be is crap for op that she has bought property near what is now a student house. Lock them all up in halls I say!!

SamandCat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:33:46

If they are not making a lot of noise i don't see what grounds you have for complaint.They are allowed to drink all day in their garden if they want to!!
Besides by the time the weather picks up, the term will be over and they'll be gone surely?

UncleT Mon 17-Mar-14 21:34:43

Speak to THEM first and, as another poster said - tell them how it's going to be. If you give them an opportunity to address your concerns about the children being exposed to their behaviour and they then fail to stop it, at that point you should complain to landlord and/or Police. You did say they seemed OK, so be direct with them. Be calm, firm but fair. I would suggest something along the lines of saying that so long as there's no excessive noise and no illegal activity outside within sight or earshot of the children, that there will be no problem. You're not being unreasonable to not want the children to see or hear drug taking. Tell them you want to give them a chance to avoid having to involve Police.

YouTheCat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:35:57

I'd say inviting the local dealer round is grounds for complaint. Who wants that next door?

LittleMilla Mon 17-Mar-14 21:36:37

There are 130 houses on our long road, 10 of the houses are student ones.

My main problem is that I don't like being so close to people that are clearly off their tits. Especially when my kids are playing in the garden.

Last summer they were out on benders every weekend meaning that it was gross to be outside.

DH shouted over fence on Sunday to watch the language as one of the lads was effing and jeffing - he apologised and they went in for a bit but then cranked on the house music and reemerged a bit after.

I just can work out if I'm being 'precious' or if others would feel as I do. I'm always embarrassed when we've got guests and they are out off their heads. But how do I broach it without sounding like a dick?

FudgefaceMcZ Mon 17-Mar-14 21:36:56

People may be 'entitled to party' (wtf?), but no one is entitled to take illegal drugs in a communal garden.

Beastofburden Mon 17-Mar-14 21:37:52

Y should find that the Uni they go to is keen to have good relations with the community. Do you know where they study? If so, ask to go and speak to the student team and explain that it's the drug taking and the dealing which is freaking you out.

But don't escalate it to a formal complaint, because you have to disclose that kind of thing when you sell.

LittleMilla Mon 17-Mar-14 21:39:33

Thanks all, I like your approach uncle T.

Takver Mon 17-Mar-14 21:40:10

Could you put up a taller fence & plant something fast growing? I know not ideal, but at least you'd have more of a barrier.

LindyHemming Mon 17-Mar-14 21:42:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LongPieceofString Mon 17-Mar-14 21:43:56

I would just report them to the police. I have zero tolerance when it comes to drugs affecting my family.

LittleMilla Mon 17-Mar-14 21:48:58

We're looking at the fence Tak - the firns we bought haven't grown quickly enough so looking to get trellis on top of the wall to block it.

Will contact their Uni but don't want to escalate anything too much - will simply ask for advice. I just need to find a way of getting them to calm the f*ck down or going somewhere else. I really don't think they'll see a problem with it all as they're bloody clueless!

isitsnowingyet Mon 17-Mar-14 21:51:36

YANBU - and you are not being 'precious' as some other posters suggest. The house next door to ours was a holiday let and yes we had young people/students on holiday. Once shagging so loudly at 7pm in the room next door to our dining room that my 6 year old says 'Mummy, what on earth are those people doing??' Later on, someone else was vomiting loudly in the back garden, plus plenty of music and chat throughout the nights and days. Lots of colourful language. No OP I don't envy you. I complained to the owners of the house, and shortly after they got some long term tenants in, which has been a lot better.

Call me an old fashioned party pooper, but yes, I would let the landlord or university know that you are not happy.

Gwladgwlad Mon 17-Mar-14 21:53:16

I live in a popular seaside town on the south coast with 2 unis and we have a 5 story student house behind us. Nightmare. They once had a party that lasted all weekend and in the end the noise was so bad I called the police. You can report them if they are bad!

TwittyMcTwitterson Mon 17-Mar-14 21:55:56

As a past student, I can tell you that it will be in their tenancy contract that no illegal substances are to be used/supplied or stored in the property.

However, I understand music is an issue and late nights etc but I don't understand how their garden was gross from all day benders??? Do you mean beer cans everywhere?

I'd say, so long as no drugs make their way into your garden and the swearing is kept to a minimum, for the sake of little ears, there's no problem. They're allowed to sit in their garden. As are you.

Next year you'll get more stoners I'm sure wink

LittleMilla Mon 17-Mar-14 21:56:56

Sorry, last thing to add. The LL doesn't give a flying fig about us or tenants. We calculated he makes c.£34k per year in rent and that's ALL he cares about. And the agents are fckn useless too.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: