Talk

Advanced search

And unlawful to open someone else's post?

(11 Posts)
AtSea1979 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:48:33

DP moved out a few wks ago, since then there have been a stream of bailiff letters etc that I have needed to sort out else they would take my stuff.
X-DP has been to collect more post, some of which was opened and has kicked off saying its illegal and I shouldn't read his mail, but clearly he can't be trusted to sort out his finances or change of address.
Is it illegal just to bin it all now, anything he hasn't already changed address on is just tough?

NinjaBunny Mon 17-Mar-14 13:51:52

He's full of hot air.

Sounds like you needed to open them which can easily be proved/proven (are those words?).

Write 'no longer at this address' and bung it back in the post box at your convenience.

TeacupDrama Mon 17-Mar-14 13:57:59

I agree it is annoying and with bailiffs a bit worrying but it is illegal to bin someone else's mail even a year later; you do not however have to redirect it but thee advice is either to allow addressee to collect, redirect or return to sender you can't bin it or open it technically you could be prosecuted but unlikely

I am not sure about legality of opening it unless addressed to householder if clearly addressed to XP you probably should not open it, ( it is definitely illegal for postal workers to open they could get prison sentence)

being rational a few weeks is not much time for companies to get address changed sorted even with a methodical person, who informs them correctly, it took me 3 months to be sure everything was coming to my new address had to inform one company 4 times before they got it right and a further 3 times to get village name spelt correctly

I would just return anything clearly marked NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS asap the bailiffs may not believe you but at least they know you have returned

TeacupDrama Mon 17-Mar-14 13:59:04

a bailiff can not take your stuff for his debts EVER does not mean they might not try just never ever let them in, they can't break in unless HMRC

AtSea1979 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:12:05

They were court cleared to break in, sorted that one but lots more.

deakymom Mon 17-Mar-14 14:16:37

they can take your stuff if your still married and he is still registered living there if you are married get a financial separation agreement asap as they can reasonably assume you are just as liable for the debts as him

deakymom Mon 17-Mar-14 14:17:21

open letters ring bailiff tell them his new address throw away evidence xx

AtSea1979 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:21:58

That's what I was doing.
Not married.

MrsSquirrel Mon 17-Mar-14 14:34:39

I usually bin mail for the people who used to live here. Never had any problem. In theory it is against the law to open someone else's post if you are 'intending to act to a person's detriment '
In reality, nobody ever gets prosecuted except for rogue posties. Do what you think best. Don't listen to his bluster.

TheListingAttic Mon 17-Mar-14 14:39:07

We had a similar (ish) situation with old tenants and baillifs. It's illegal for you to open someone else's post WITH MALICIOUS INTENT. Which is hard to prove, even if that's what you were doing. We just rang the debt collectors and explained the people had moved on.

TeacupDrama Mon 17-Mar-14 14:53:28

they can only reasonably assume she is responsible for debts if debts in both names, they can only take your stuff if debts in both names, you are not responsible for a DP's debt in their name alone ie if ex- DP had plumbing business which went bust as he was self employed he is a sole trader so unless your house was security for the debt it would be safe; this would be true if you were still happily married too though some debts can be a responsibility of a partner or spouse lots are not

as OP was not married then unless debt has her name on too she can't be pursued even if living together many bailiffs will lie about this

you need to check credit reference agencies and add note to say separate finances so your accounts not linked

it is definitely illegal to bin mail by as I said before prosecution unlikely just return all to sender

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now