Talk

Advanced search

to think many people have too much faith in a CRB / DBS check? It is not a proof of anything

(29 Posts)
kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 08:35:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

formerbabe Sun 16-Mar-14 08:54:03

I agree. Jimmy Saville was never convicted!

But...a crb is the closest we can get to some sort of reassurance.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 16-Mar-14 08:57:12

So what is the solution then? Just not do the checks? It's not perfect but it's all there is.

What would your suggestions be?

Finola1step Sun 16-Mar-14 09:02:16

So what is the alternative?

kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:11:32

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 16-Mar-14 09:17:44

I've never heard that. What sort of conversations are you having when this comes up?

MammaTJ Sun 16-Mar-14 09:23:42

It is all there is and I cannot think of a better way to do it.

I realise it isn't perfect.

tumbletumble Sun 16-Mar-14 09:24:42

I think most people realise a CRB check isn't worth much.

AClassyMove Sun 16-Mar-14 09:26:12

Yanbu, as you say just not caught.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 16-Mar-14 09:27:59

CRB/DBS is the starting point. Safeguarding is the continuation.

What sort of discussion ends with someone saying they have a CRB check so that means they are 'ok'?

If you are recruiting, you would expect them to say 'I have a current DBS check, and I am up to speed with Safeguarding and will of course follow your Safeguarding policies that you will teach me in my induction'.

TheRealGarethMalone Sun 16-Mar-14 09:30:55

DBS is one element in risk assessment, but only one.

And you may get someone who was convicted of something a long time ago who has since turned their life around.

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 09:35:50

TBH There isn't really much else that people can go on. It is obviously a positive sign in the first instance and other measures need to be put in place.

If it is work related there is usually safeguarding policies to follow and the CRB/DBS is to be renewed. At my work it is every 3 years but I appreciate everyone is different.

Short of going round looking at everyone with suspicion it's the closest we'll get to "Yeah, they are good"

BillyBanter Sun 16-Mar-14 09:35:51

Whether someone has a CRB check or not your first position should be to presume they are not a child molester, because most people are not child molesters. If something happens that makes you suspect someone is a child molester then you take appropriate action regardless of any CRB check.

hickorychicken Sun 16-Mar-14 09:36:16

I have a caution for something im not proud of from when i was 17 it came up on my checks and my employer was fine about it but im glad it was there in black and white so everyone knows where they are iyswim.
As for not being caught... i think you just have to trust people in the end.

kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:41:45

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 09:46:03

I don't ever think that concerns should be dismissed based on this. However after reading a particular thread on here today I'm not surprised. Some people see criminals everywhere based on the most ridiculous things.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 16-Mar-14 09:46:13

You're right in one respect which is that the danger of 'Clare's Law', CRB and similar is that they risk providing a false sense security. I seem to remember that Ian Huntley checked out fine for working in a school before killing Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. In other words, official checks are fine as far as they go but that doesn't mean switching off observation & good judgement. Suspicions should always be reported.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 16-Mar-14 09:50:44

Well it would depend on the context of the thread. Can you link?

hickorychicken Sun 16-Mar-14 09:59:00

Was it because a nursery worker was male confused

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 10:02:13

Yeah it was. I didn't even bother to comment it was insane.

Grennie Sun 16-Mar-14 10:05:26

Yes you are right OP. The alternative is that you also pay attention to what happens and what your children say. If someone says something inappropriate, it doesn't matter if they have been CRB checked or not. Pay attention.

prh47bridge Sun 16-Mar-14 10:05:57

Ian Huntley checked out fine for working in a school

This was due to failures by both police forces involved. Cambridgeshire failed to follow the vetting guidelines. Humberside police deleted information they should have kept and apparently failed to check properly on the PNC.

But the general point is correct. Employers and voluntary organisations are warned that regular DBS checks should only be one aspect of their safeguarding procedures.

kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 10:07:21

kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 10:08:32

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 10:13:16

Oh I thought Hickory's post was to me. Well that was the one I was talking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now