Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to rely a lot on pre-made Annabel karmel meals?

(39 Posts)
Blueskiesandcherrypies Sun 16-Mar-14 08:00:45

My 18 month old loves them and I can see why, I've tasted all of the ones she's had and they're lovely!

The thing is, I cook from scratch for the rest of us (me, DH, ds9 and dd7) and well sit down to eat at 6.30. My 18 mo can't wait til then for dinner, she us often in bed by 6.15, so I usually start preparing ours while she is in her highchair eating hers and watching me. I usually have the intention of setting aside a portion of what we're having to give to her the next day but there's usually none left!

Anyway I watched a thing on this morning the other day about 'grown up' ready meals. It basically said what I already knew, that they're full of crap and a tonne of sugar, which is why we rarely have them. But it got me thinking, maybe I'm kidding myself in thinking that because these Ak meals are aimed specifically at toddlers (and are AK) they won't be full of crap?!

What do you think?

Frusso Sun 16-Mar-14 08:05:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CountessOfRule Sun 16-Mar-14 08:12:17

Yes, read the ingredients. And think if you still want to be making two meals in five years' time.

Dish hers up first, cover and refrigerate. Obvious solution!

Waltonswatcher1 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:00:52

You know the answer surely ?
Those are ready meals . Hideous pretend food packaged to convince that they replicate homemade . These are fine occasionally , but in no way should they replace proper meals .
Your 18 mth old will already be used to the taste and texture sadly .
If you cook for the rest of the family , why not for her ? Timing is always an issue - I have a dd2 , ds11 and dd14 . They all eat together with me at 5.30 .. Dh eats at nine alone . We all eat the same food .

DragonMamma Sun 16-Mar-14 09:05:38

Madness to rely on them. You can't possibly think they are any better than adult ready meals, because they are Annabel Karmel? I'd feel guilty doing a 'pierce film lid' meal for my toddler most nights.

I struggle with timing some times but I always put some aside from the previous night and have back up meals I've frozen previously.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:08:35

I wouldn't stress about it if she will soon be eating alongside rest of family. They aren't poison as some people think.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:09:31

What I do sometimes though is make something for DH and I then keep a portion and give it to DD next day as she eats earlier.

If you'd prefer to give homemade that is an option.

But just do what you need to do.

Shockers Sun 16-Mar-14 09:16:20

Could you eat a bit earlier and her a bit later so you can eat together on a couple of nights? As you're chopping veg for your meal, could she have tastes in her high chair?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 16-Mar-14 09:20:14

Make a bit more (so it's not all gone, or take out some first) then put it in pot for her the next day. I batch cook and freeze stuff for DS all the time.

DS eats earlier than us but I just get something I've cooked out the freezer for him. It's just as easy.

SavoyCabbage Sun 16-Mar-14 09:22:46

It's madness to give them to her as you cook from scratch. You need to take her portion out first and she can have it the next day.

Dh and I don't eat until about 8.30 as he gets home quite late so I feed the dc early and quite often I cook two meals every night but I don't want them eating crap when we eat properly.

Catsize Sun 16-Mar-14 09:23:31

A slow cooker may help you.

whereisthewitch Sun 16-Mar-14 09:25:16

Just make sure there's enough left from the evening before for the toddler to have the next day! I used those type of meals maybe twice a week when DD went to my mums for childcare because mun would've made her waffles and fish fingers all the time if I hadn't. I stopped when she was about 15 months as her nappies were horrific!

JabberJabberJay Sun 16-Mar-14 09:27:28

I think AK meals are fine occasionally. My 2 year old loves the spag bol one!

But it seems silly to buy them for your toddler when you're cooking from scratch for the rest of the family. Cook food for everyone, but before you dish up, separate and refrigerate/freeze your DDs portion. Heat up next day for her dinner. Problem solved!

bigkidsdidit Sun 16-Mar-14 09:33:42

I cook for me and DH at 8ish and my DS have the leftovers for lunch every day. You have to portion up their bit first!

CornishYarg Sun 16-Mar-14 09:39:18

There was a lot of press coverage a few years ago about how much salt and sugar they contain eg teice the amount of sugar per 100g than the same adult ready meal. I don't know if the recipes have been modified since but it's still a fair bet that they're high in sugar and salt so not good on a very regular basis.

Blueskiesandcherrypies Sun 16-Mar-14 10:01:24

Thanks for your replies!

I feel like an awful mum now! I think part of the problem is all of a sudden my two older DCs have really increased the amount they eat and I have yet to adjust the amount I cook accordingly! Will change that from today, even if bulking out with more veg etc.

Thanks though you've really motivated me! Have just taken some fish out of the freezer to make a fish pie tonight, and toddlers will be served up first and refrigerated for tomorrow! smile

whereisthewitch Sun 16-Mar-14 10:16:33

You're not an awful mum...your DD has been getting fed andmI'm sure she gets a good breakfast and lunch. I think sometimes as mums we can get stuck in a bit of a rut and it's hard to get out!

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 10:19:24

Could you maybe try cooking an extra portion every night and then she could have what you made the night before for her dinner if you find it hard to find the time to cook on the day earlier?

MiaowTheCat Sun 16-Mar-14 12:05:14

Take a couple of extra portions out before you dish up (you really won't notice them missing) and then put one aside for the next day, one into the freezer for later and you'll gradually find you've got a nice stash in the freezer as standbys.

Katinkia Sun 16-Mar-14 12:05:47

I used to do what meep said. Stick a portion in the fridge for the next days child dinner.

Waltonswatcher1 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:45:09

You are no way an awful mum !
You knew it was a bit too often and that's why you posted . You sound like a refreshing honest mum to me .
I am an awful mum - I shout . Now that's more long term damaging than a AK meal!

WeavingLoom Sun 16-Mar-14 15:35:58

You are not alone! Can I ask what you all cook on a regular basis for your families? I really struggle to come up with ideas for my 2.9 year old and 11 month old that will also appeal to me and my husband. I too often resort to toddler meals and the guilt I feel is awful.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Sun 16-Mar-14 15:41:39

I saw AK in an interview on sky berating people using Ella kitchen or plum baby. She banged on about the temp the foods heated at to keep it for months. Packaging and effects additives etc. then finished by plugging her own meals which were about to be launched!!!!

Cheeky madam. Use them but not every day for every meal. Don't kid yourself eh?

Minnieisthedevilmouse Sun 16-Mar-14 15:46:55

Stews. Spag Bol. Tom pasta and cheese. Mac n cheese. Meat two veg n gravy. Shepherds/cottage pies. Lamb chops. Ham salad. Lentil Dahl . Chicken rice n peas. Kebabs. Paella. 'Chilli' con carne. Beef stroganoff. Sausage egg beans. Omlette/frittata. Chix wings n hoops. Jacket small spuds beans cheese. Sweet corn.

Does that help?

WilsonFrickett Sun 16-Mar-14 15:52:42

Weaving, there's a lovely food board here too with loads of 'good idea' threads.

Op, you are far from a terrible mum! It's so easy to get into a rut with food, especially if you can't all eat together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now