Talk

Advanced search

They've started already..."I'm going to fine the school for the strikes cos I got fined for a term-time holiday"

(16 Posts)
NorthernLassie724 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:13:16

Grrr...really annoys me. When will people realise that term-time holiday fines are imposed by the LEA and are nothing to do with teacher strikes?! No matter what people's opinions are on either issue, is it too much to ask that they try to grasp even a basic understanding of the two separate issues before clogging up any social media with inane rants about writing letters to fine schools?!

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Mar-14 17:15:39

If it makes them feel better let them write the letters, give all the staff at school a good laugh. grin

natwebb79 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:15:48

it's teachers' fault for all the ills of society apparently. Obviously we go into the profession purely to be unfair and piss parents off.grin

Floggingmolly Fri 14-Mar-14 17:15:53

I'm going to fine the school. Really? hmm Good luck with that.
I hope it's not a friend of yours, op, because they're quite obviously a complete and utter halfwit.

YouTheCat Fri 14-Mar-14 17:15:53

People like that are incredibly stupid.

42notTrendy Fri 14-Mar-14 17:19:00

I had to endure all this on fbook last time round. I'm going to throw the modem out the window and hide from all all social media if it's starting already. Oh, apart from mnet obviously grin.

NorthernLassie724 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:21:57

Yup really Molly. They are now an ex-friend! Also proclaiming that if the teachers dare to fine her for her upcoming holiday with her 3 school age children then she'll refuse to pay and they'll have to come after her to get the money. Lots of her mates egging her on...obviously none of them have read a newspaper recently.

YouTheCat Fri 14-Mar-14 17:23:09

Do any of these idiots realise that you don't get paid if you are on strike?

mummymeister Fri 14-Mar-14 17:23:35

NorthernLassie724 term time holiday fines are imposed by the LEA when, and only when, the head teacher of the school marks an absence as unauthorised. so, the decision that there should be a fine is initially taken by the H/T when he/she refuses to authorise absence. its not down to the LEA they only act when an absence is unauthorised. in peoples minds they are to do with the strikes because there are some that see it as the "do as I say not as I do" syndrome. personally, I believe teachers have an absolute right to strike but I also think parents have an absolute right to parent and decide whats best for their children. gove is rubbing his hands with glee. another wedge driven between nasty schools, horrible teachers and ignorant parents!!!

YouTheCat Fri 14-Mar-14 17:24:43

But head teachers aren't striking. It's the NUT teachers that are striking.

Retropear Fri 14-Mar-14 17:26:33

Anybody can and still are book holidays in term time at our school.

Some have been on quite interesting ones,head sends them with his blessing by all accounts.

NorthernLassie724 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:33:29

I have to say it has shocked me how Gove and his minions are really trying to alienate teachers with their press releases telling total lies.

mummy our LEA has taken the right to authorise absence out of headteachers' hands. Everything is automatically unauthorised but can be passed on to county for a decision if school thinks it may be classed as exceptional. I'd just assumed all LEAs did the same, sorry blush

coldwater1 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:48:49

Is there another strike planned? I am always gutted because our school always remains open, seems some more of our teachers need to join this union! wink

meditrina Fri 14-Mar-14 17:52:47

"mummy our LEA has taken the right to authorise absence out of headteachers' hands"

That's going well beyond what is set out in law.

What's the problematic Gove press release?

mummymeister Fri 14-Mar-14 17:55:11

Nothernlassie724. you need to challenge this. the legislation is very very clear the decision to authorise or not is in the heads hands. they cannot be told by anyone that they have to put everything as unauthorised. your LEA is acting ultra vares in my opinion and someone needs to challenge this. Unless of course this is the story being put around by Heads who don't want the hassle of dealing with disgruntled parents and just prefer to take the "its not my decision they told me to" line.

hunreeeal Fri 14-Mar-14 19:23:19

Do these people want good teachers to be attracted into the profession, and wanting to stay there, by decent pay and conditions? If so they should support the NUT's action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now