Talk

Advanced search

Please advise me on our situation

(7 Posts)
Giveusabreakplease Fri 14-Mar-14 12:28:01

I was made redundant and I'm still not working, now Dp's job is about to end, we have holiday coming up so Dp will be around to look after the children whilst setting up his new business.

Do I get a full time job in the day , and pay childcare in the holidays whilst he sets this up.

Do I work in the evenings and just get childcare cover until he comes home and I can be around in the day to help with the phones and still be with the kids.

I'm hoping when the business really gets going I can then work for him what would you do? Please please advise things are just a worry at the moment and I can't think straight, thank you if you reply it means a lot.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 14-Mar-14 12:33:50

Do whichever would a)bring in the most money and b) allow the most time to be dedicated to setting up the business.

It is VERY difficult to set up a business. It requires a lot of time and effort. Of course, what can work depends what sort of business it is, but generally speaking it is an AWFUL time, really hard, very stressful and damned expensive.

Of course, if it works, then it's worth having gone through it, so I wish you both the best of luck with it!

Do your sums and work out your hours and you'll see which is best.

Dahlen Fri 14-Mar-14 12:38:25

It's very difficult to work from home with DC around. They have a bad habit of distracting you. I think if you get a full-time job, you will need some form of at least part-time childcare for your DP.

Secondly, most new businesses don't actually start making any money for the first couple of years. Will your redundancy cover that?

I think in your situation I would try a combination of part-time work during school summer holidays moving on to full-time work thereafter.

DoJo Fri 14-Mar-14 12:43:17

It really depends on his business - mine took about 20 minutes to set up, but he might still be struggling in two years.

Giveusabreakplease Fri 14-Mar-14 13:02:17

Our children are school age, he is a Gas Engineer and he busy at present.

Tabliope Fri 14-Mar-14 13:12:06

He won't be able to look after them during the school holidays if he's out and about doing jobs. If you're working nights or evenings it'll be hard looking after the kids in the day too. I think get a job during school hours and school is more weeks a year than the holidays then childcare holiday clubs if you can. Good luck.

Giveusabreakplease Fri 14-Mar-14 13:20:44

Thank you it's all making more sense now, I will work it all out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now