Talk

Advanced search

To chase this job up AGAIN?

(47 Posts)
Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:13:13

Not sure if I'm being pushy so thought I'd ask the hive mind and see what you'd do.

I applied for a job a month ago. It's with a major retailer with an excellent reputation. Not an exciting job, just part time.

Within a day of applying, I was invited to take an online skills test. I passed this. I was then given a 15 minute telephone interview and passed that. I was then invited to an assessment centre and attended that... Passed it and was offered a second 1 to 1 interview. I had that interview exactly two weeks ago and it went fine I think.

I asked when they would let me know and was told ' around five days ' ... It got to the end of day five and I'd heard nothing so I politely emailed. I got an email back saying ' I have your notes here and just need to talk to the manager who is away training until next Wednesday and we will be be back in contact towards the end of next week .. '

Well, it's the very end of ' next week ' now. And I've still not heard anything.

So, exactly a fortnight after the interview I'm still in limbo. This is further complicated because I really need to know as I've been offered another job which I'm supposed to be starting on Monday! Funnily enough, I really thought that this whole process wouldn't take in excess of a month.

WWYD? I feel so uncomfortable chasing them for a second time but I wish they hadn't given me specific time scales in which they said they'd let me know and then just not bloody bother

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 14-Mar-14 11:22:07

I used to employ people and I think that possibly they've offered the job to someone else and have you as second choice but are waiting for confirmation that the other person has accepted before letting you know.

That would be one reason for the delaying tactics.

Or maybe they are just really disorganised.

I think that if you need to know, then you need to know and you should call them. If they do offer you this job, do you intend to tell the one you are supposed to be starting that you actually wont be?

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:27:54

There are lots of different positions - it's a huge retailer so I'm thinking they're just bloody disorganised. I'd like to think that if it was a 'no' then they wouldn't have waited a fortnight to tell me.

I'm in a quandary re the other job. I accepted their offer because I have to be working ASAP and had envisaged that, if I was offered this other job, I'd have plenty of time to tell them . I didn't think this process would take a month!

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 14-Mar-14 11:31:09

I think if it would bug you more to not know, maybe you should call them. I would.

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:32:26

Would you?

I'm loathe to but veering towards that. Honestly, just call or contact when you say you will! Don't leave people waiting with no update. Annoying!

Thanks!

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 14-Mar-14 11:43:52

It is very annoying.

It comes when they just don't spare a moment to think about the other person (or people) and that they are actually exactly that - PEOPLE! - and they need and want to know and they deserve a bit of bloody courtesy!

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:47:38

Couldn't agree more angry

I wouldn't mind if they'd actually contacted me when they'd said they would but they haven't. I'll be so cross if it's a no - not because I feel I should have the job but because you shouldn't leave people just hanging around.

I'm gearing myself up to actually pick up the phone as opposed to emailing HR

MissingTheMountain Fri 14-Mar-14 11:49:41

This happened to me before I started my new job this month. The whole process took 6 weeks for one job, so I'd done a lot of interviews by then. I kept telling them that I'd need to make a decision, they kept saying that they needed sign-off from senior management.

Then I was offered two other positions, and they immediately made me an offer.

I hadn't accepted either of the other two offers, and they were aware that I was interviewing elsewhere, but one agency got really unhappy that I'd "wasted their time" by interviewing if I wouldn't take the job.

I think I'd have to email or call again, in your position. A call is probably better, because you can be friendly and upbeat and make it clear that you are calling because you really want the job, rather than what could be conceived as a blunt chasing email. Hopefully they'll have some news for you!

Do they know that you have an offer from elsewhere?

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:51:35

No they don't know about my other job and they're such a huge company that I'm not sure they'd be that bothered!

But I'm bothered because how can I start a job on Monday when this is the job I really want?!

I'm going to have to bloody call. Ugh! Working up courage

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 14-Mar-14 11:52:07

I would call

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:52:57

' sign off from senior management '

Christ , why advertise vacancies if you then have to mess people about for weeks afterwards? Surely it not too difficult to have this stuff in place already

t3rr3gl35 Fri 14-Mar-14 11:53:26

If this is the job that you would prefer, then call them. Tell them that you have another offer and need to know your options by close of play today.

FWIW, I would walk away from any organisation that has behaved in this way. They are giving the impression that the position (and by implication, you) is of little importance to them - and the lack of respect shown towards you so far doesn't bode well for the future.

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:55:36

T3- yes they've gone down in my estimation have to say!

You'll know the company - they're a retailer much discussed on here and have exemplary standards and a good reputation re treatment of their staff.

I've not noticed this in how I've been dealt with so far!

I'm going to call . Soon. Need another ten mins to compose what I'm going to say

Stockhausen Fri 14-Mar-14 11:58:07

I'd call or email them. At least you'll know.

Good luck!

EEatingSoupForLunch Fri 14-Mar-14 11:59:43

Call! You have nothing to lose by sounding keen. Good luck!

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 11:59:48

I'm on hold now!

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 14-Mar-14 12:01:24

I've run my own recruitment company, and the only answer is to call them and ask "when might I expect to hear your decision?"

If they're even slightly vague I'd simply take the other job you've been offered; apart from anything else, would you really want to work for a company that disorganised??

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 12:03:08

Hmm.

Apparently he's ' not in his office ' at the moment but he's definitely in today.

I've left my name and number and a message to call me back at his earliest convenience.

So ... Nothing more I can do really. And I swear, if he doesn't call me back today , I'll just forget the whole thing, despite really wanting this job.

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 12:05:05

Puzzled - so I've not been too keen then?

If it was a no, I'd really have expected to have been told this a fortnight ago , or at least within the first timescale of five days that they gave me. And didn't adhere to. Leaving me to chase them for the first time.

I wonder about companies sometimes ..

oscarwilde Fri 14-Mar-14 12:13:33

Follow up your call with an email to say that you have left a message with X and would appreciate an update on the vacancy.
Personally, I would state that I have been offered another role with an immediate start and have until the end of the day to accept it.

This sort of stuff happens everywhere. People are busy/get ill/take holidays and it slides. It's not very nice especially if you are unemployed but I wouldn't take it personally.

Alternatively, just take the other job - if you are starting on Monday you have already accepted and signed a contract? If you really want this job you can always leave when you have worked your notice...

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 14-Mar-14 12:18:32

Puzzled - so I've not been too keen then?

You've not been over keen and you've not been too laid back either - frankly I think you've judged it exactly right. This will stand you in good stead for anything else you go for ... the very best of luck :-)

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 12:20:45

Oscar - I've out off signing the contract and will take it with me on Monday when I start. I don't like to let people down at the last minute and never thought for one moment that I this would all take so long.

If he doesn't return my call today then god knows what I can do next ? I've emailed, I've now called ... I'd just have to write it off wouldn't i ? I've got so little faith in them that I actually don't expect him to return my call..

Mygoldfishrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 12:21:35

Puzzledandpissedoff - thank you. I'm so relating to your user name today!

SometimesLonely Fri 14-Mar-14 12:27:30

If the manager has been away 'training' for several days, it could be that there's a mountain of work for her/him to do on return to work.

Give it another day or two and then chase.

Gen35 Fri 14-Mar-14 12:30:01

You know, if their HR/internal processes are so bad, it's generally a bad sign...it'd be unfortunate but perhaps the other job will turn out to be better?...that said, I've had to take a job and then leave 6 months later when something else that had been long in the pipeline finally came through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now