Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit bewildered by parents evening?

(10 Posts)
MamaSmurf99 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:52:56

Had dds parents evening tonight. She's in year 1 and we chatted generally about how she's doing well, has lots of friends etc. As I was leaving and another parent was going in I asked if there was anything else I could do to encourage her learning and her teacher said no and that she's almost on level 2 for everything so just to leave her be. Aibu to not have a clue what that level means? Have googled it but it seems complicated and theres conflicting websites. In any case, aibu to think that just because a child isn't falling behind, they should still be encouraged to learn and not just left to it?

WorraLiberty Wed 12-Mar-14 21:55:50

Well YABU to have left it to the last second when a parent was going in for their appointment.

Just ask the teacher what a level 2 means

And I'm sure you have the resources to encourage your child to learn more at home. You don't need the teacher's input on that surely?

Just Google Key Stage 1.

cardibach Wed 12-Mar-14 22:08:10

The teacher meant that whatever you are doing is helping with her good progress and so don't worry about trying to do anything extra. He/she doesn't mean stop interacting with her so she doesn't make any more progress! You asked what ELSE you could do. The answer was, you don't need to do anything ELSE as she is progressing well with the things you are already doing.

freezation Wed 12-Mar-14 22:46:39

The government expects the average child to reach level 1a by the end of year 1 in reading, writing and maths. In year 2 SATS they are expected to achieve level 2b. Levels go 1c, 1b, 1a, 2c, 2b, 2a, 3c, 3b, 3a etc. Year 6 SATS expectations are 4b. So your child is already where she is expected to be by the end of the year. Most children will fall above/below this. It's not exactly an inclusive target...

MerryMarigold Wed 12-Mar-14 22:50:06

If she's level 2 in Y1 then she's ahead. YABU to 'chat' and then wait till other parents are walking in to ask what you wanted to ask. But school are also U for sending parents in before you're finished!

Icimoi Wed 12-Mar-14 22:51:28

You asked whether you should be doing more to encourage dd to learn, the teacher in effect said she's doing well which indicates she's already getting enough encouragement. There's no indication that she's just being 'left to it', indeed she probably wouldn't be doing so well if that is the case.

poopadoop Wed 12-Mar-14 22:54:22

you lot are harsh! OP you and your dd are clearly doing fine, no wonder you just added that at the end as the teacher was so positive. Do all the other posters circulate an agenda first or something?

MamaSmurf99 Wed 12-Mar-14 22:57:54

Thank you, freezation, that's clarified it for me. What about the points part? She has 9, whatever that means?

Eebahgum Thu 13-Mar-14 06:01:37

The points are a fine grading system that schools have to use to track children's progress more closely. As other posters have said, she's slightly above average for her age group, you're doing great, just keep in with the level of support you give her.

CrohnicallyChanging Thu 13-Mar-14 07:16:23

I work with year 1 children, and we tell parents the same things you can do to help your child.

read with or to your child and help them to enjoy books
take them to the library so they read/listen to a wide range of books
use maths in real life situations, especially money and measuring (including time)
- working out which product is better value for money in the supermarket
- choosing coins for you to buy a pint of milk, or work out the change
- weighing ingredients for baking
- telling the time and working out how long till their TV programme starts, or what time dinner will be ready
- let your child keep score when playing games
- help you measure up if you're buying new furniture or decorating

As other posters have said, if she's nearly level 2 then she's doing absolutely fine and is already where she's expected to be at the end of the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now