Talk

Advanced search

to think if it's OK to come out as a trainspotter...

(16 Posts)
LollipopViolet Wed 12-Mar-14 20:53:46

It's absolutely fine for me to admit I'm an aviation enthusiast a plane spotter?

I'm really hoping I'm not on my own here!

I think 747s are strangely beautiful looking...

TiggyCBE Wed 12-Mar-14 20:54:27

Sicko

DitaVonCreamTeas Wed 12-Mar-14 20:58:27

Aw Sweetie, thank you for telling us, but you know your mother and I guessed years ago. grin

LollipopViolet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:04:16

Yep, definitely the only one on MN by the looks of it sad

To be fair, I'm more interested in taking pictures than noting registration numbers, so maybe I'm not even a full blown plane spotter, just a plane geek?

Either way, looks like I'm still on my own! grin

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Wed 12-Mar-14 21:07:07

I can't leave you here alone, I too love planes, they are amazing. Though I may possibly be more of a geek cos I am more interested in how they work than how they look, even though they look the way they do because of how they work ha. Yep far too geekish.

LollipopViolet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:09:19

Oh I'm just as interested in how they work! I'm actually not that great at FLYING on them so took the "knowledge is power" route to getting over the fear.

Don't ask how Airbus planes work though - all that electrickery and fly by wire stuff is totally confusing to me! grin

DitaVonCreamTeas Wed 12-Mar-14 21:10:27

Yup, looks like you're on your own, but I wouldn't worry about it; I once started a thread once asking if anyone else's unborn baby jumped when they farted...no one replied. Your interest in the aesthetic qualities of planes is infinitely preferable to my deafening/terrifying DC with my bodily functions.

TerrariaMum Wed 12-Mar-14 21:13:24

No, you're not on your own. I'm worse than you, I'm both a plane and a train geek. I think they are beautiful machines. But I am only mildly interested in how they work, I just like to look at them.

LustyBusty Wed 12-Mar-14 21:13:30

Aaah, kindred spirits! I am Lusty and I am a Plane Geek. I even have a degree in how planes work. grin As for the prettiest, it's got to be the Hercules, great big teddy bear of a Plane. The Airbus Guppy is an awesome piece of kit too!

LollipopViolet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:16:32

Wow, never seen the Guppy before. I'm not entirely sure how that thing stays in the air, it's such an unusual shape.

LustyBusty Wed 12-Mar-14 21:32:46

It's fab. grin have you seen the pics of it being loaded? The nose lifts up!

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 12-Mar-14 21:34:17

You're not alone, plane, steam train and ship geek here. My house looks like a hub.

OtisSpankmyarse Thu 13-Mar-14 11:39:18

If you like planes it's soooooo worth having a trial flying lesson from your local flying club, it's like nothing else in the world.

It's addictive though ... be warned!

rightsaidfrederick Thu 13-Mar-14 12:18:11

Definitely have a trial flight at your local club - be that powered flight or gliding

I have to say that every plane spotter and train spotter that I have ever come across has been a little bit odd (and likely somewhere on the autistic spectrum). Personally I wouldn't ever admit to the type that involves standing on a platform / airfield / in a hangar and taking notes of the registration numbers and then just leaving again....

LollipopViolet Thu 13-Mar-14 16:20:34

Otis I actually made a film about small planes at my local airfield, and did 2 flights grin

Loved every minute and if my eyes were good enough to get a medical I'd have a new and very expensive hobby smile

rightsaid I don't do the registration thing, I don't get that, at all. I just like taking pictures and watching them - I don't understand how something so very heavy can defy gravity...

Hassled Thu 13-Mar-14 16:22:35

DH can look up at the sky and identify an aircraft just like that. I tease him mercilessly, but he knows I'm secretly impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now