Talk

Advanced search

to still be thinking that something needs doing in Syria? watch this 'one second a day' video by save the children

(7 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:42:34

its not nasty or anything - just thought provoking. I think that it gets the message across that because the situation in syria is out of sight its out of mind.

here

HuntingforBunting Wed 12-Mar-14 20:07:06

Agreed op. Just heart breaking.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 13-Mar-14 02:06:58

one post! one!! (ta hunting)

bumping!! this needs to be seen!

TheXxed Thu 13-Mar-14 02:31:12

I am extremely reluctant about escalating conflicts and the roles NGOs play in advocating for policy change.
The cases of Somalia in 1993, Kosovo in 1999, and Afghanistan in 2001 raise different issues, flowing from the emerging liberal interventionist ambition of Western politicians. This was characterised by changing attitudes to so-called “humanitarian intervention”, which became synonymous with coercive, military, intervention. As stated in the film, one consequence of Somalia was that it gave the term a bad name. However this was not the result of failings by the relief agencies but of the strategically inept way the US military allowed itself to become embroiled in conflict with Mohammed Aideed, with disastrous results for both Americans and Somalis.

TheXxed Thu 13-Mar-14 02:35:07

Argghhhh post to soon
I am extremely reluctant about escalating conflict and the roles NGOs play in advocating for policy change

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 13-Mar-14 02:43:24

i know politics plays a huge part....but i want this you tube vid to be seen - its by save the children and is a snapshot of the year in the life of a child who is displaced by war.
it could be anywhere.

TheXxed Thu 13-Mar-14 02:53:52

What does Save the children wish to accomplish from this video? Further military action could have disastrous effects on the rest of the region. Lebanon has only recently recovered from civil war.

Where do these weapons go after military action is concluded? Weapons supplied by the west to Libya went on to be used in conflicts across north and central Africa destabilising other regions.

I dont feel NGOs have a place at the table when it comes to these situations. In order to justify there existence and retain funding its not in their interests to deescalate conflict.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now