Talk

Advanced search

To come out as a trainspotter.

(48 Posts)
ComposHat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:30:37

. I love the romance of railway stations at night. I love the anticipation and then the sudden rush of wind as an express train races through a station.

Without trying I have accumulated heaps of knowledge about mainline locomotives and buy the occasional shameful copy of Rail Magazine.
I spend a lot of time travelling by train.

Would it be so very wrong to start recording loco numbers?

YouTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:31:41

packs ComposHat a weak lemon drink, an anorak and a notepad grin

CorusKate Wed 12-Mar-14 19:32:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsjay Wed 12-Mar-14 19:33:50

you could take my husband with you he can tell me the name on a steam engine from the front bit grin he used to play work on a private railway on a sunday <yawn>

ComposHat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:35:44

Uggh gooid grief no. DMU/EMU spotting is for saddos. It is all about diesel locos with me.

mrsjay Wed 12-Mar-14 19:37:37

I have no clue what you are saying <glazes over>

YouTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:37:54

Coughs and sneezles spread diseezels - Thomas the Tank said so.

KeithTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:49:46

to be a hardcore trainspotter you have to record the trains and upload the videos to YouTube. it's the new notepad and pen.

seriously, search for trains on YouTube. it's an eyeopener. I see them everywhere now.

comicsansisevil Wed 12-Mar-14 19:52:47

mrsjay Wed 12-Mar-14 19:53:05

OH dh watched a programme about the east coast line and they trainspotters were all uploading they have their own channels and everything

Mckayz Wed 12-Mar-14 19:54:18

My DH drives steam trains. You can't help ending up a trainspotter.

MooncupGoddess Wed 12-Mar-14 19:55:24

So what makes for an exciting diesel unit, OP? Which are the cool classes?

I can spend hours poring over railway maps so no judgement here.

StanleyLambchop Wed 12-Mar-14 19:55:52

For me it is all about the railway lines- how they all link together, where the stations are- you can see all that on Google Earth now- err, I'll get my coat............

comicsansisevil Wed 12-Mar-14 20:00:47

firstchoice Wed 12-Mar-14 20:00:57

I'm about to spend another weekend at Station Cottage, 'XYZ' Junction, Northumberland.................

................Trainspotting.
Saw Flying Scotsman twice last weekend there.

View from bedroom and sitting room windows straight down line smile

Ds is in heaven.

ComposHat Wed 12-Mar-14 20:02:11

Class 37s are my faves. They make a noise like a tractor. Carlisle is great for spotting them. Or so I've heard..

I have seen many some you tube vids of posted up by trainspotters. I am hoping that along with knitting and cake making, trainspotting may become the latest terminally middle aged activity to be reclaimed by the cool kids

comicsansisevil Wed 12-Mar-14 20:05:39

KeithTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 20:07:52

trainspotting is cool!

<stamps feet>

my cousin has a very cool, handsome friend in his early 30s who is a trainspotter. apparently people are shocked to find out because he's just so damn cool!

KeithTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 20:13:58

firstchoice I just googled station cottage envy

mawbroon Wed 12-Mar-14 20:16:28

Trains are not really for me, but DS1 joined the Eddie Stobart Spotters club recently and I think I enjoy it more as much as he does!!

LollipopViolet Wed 12-Mar-14 20:16:33

You can only come out as a trainspotter, if I'm allowed to come out as a...

Plane spotter.

ComposHat Wed 12-Mar-14 20:20:31

It needs a hipper name I think...

T-tagging.
Mucho loco

In my head I like to think peope think people would be surprised if they discovered I eas into trains, but they'd probably just shrug and go 'it figures.'

PunkrockerGirl Wed 12-Mar-14 20:22:02

I'm quite partial to a bit of transporting. Love the class 50s but don't think they're in use any more. DH has got a book about them which I often occasionally flick through.

BriocheDoree Wed 12-Mar-14 20:26:19

My six-year-old is well on the way: he has gone way past his wooden brio set and now watches YouTube videos of the different suburban train, RER and metro lines (we live near Paris) and seeing the TGV at Gare de Lyon was one of the highlights of his last half term grin

MooncupGoddess Wed 12-Mar-14 20:34:12

I managed to get a tour of a working signalbox recently. It was very exciting. I took lots of photos while pretending they were for my godson blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now