Talk

Advanced search

To give 9 month old prawn crackers?

(16 Posts)
GingerMaman Wed 12-Mar-14 17:10:39

She just tried them and loves them! Keeps coming back for more blush

She's a poor eater (we are awaiting a dietician appointment) and before I get flamed, yes I do offer her plenty of fruit and veg, organic carrot sticks aka crisp etc but she is just not interested! hmm

jenniferlawrence Wed 12-Mar-14 17:13:38

Personally I think it's fine for babies over 6 months to have a little taste of different things but I wouldn't want her eating many as they are high in salt.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Wed 12-Mar-14 17:17:43

Prob too salty to let her have many

BumPotato Wed 12-Mar-14 17:17:53

Agree that a small amount is okay. Your DD will be enjoying the tingly sensation on her tongue I bet. Yum. This might be the start of her being more open to trying other, healthier things.

GingerMaman Wed 12-Mar-14 20:18:18

Thanks! smile

dyslexicdespot Wed 12-Mar-14 20:26:29

I had (and still try to have) a policy of not offering DS anything that I wouldn't be happy for him to develop a taste for. Deep fried salty snacks filled with preservatives would not fall into that category.

NatashaBee Wed 12-Mar-14 20:27:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Wed 12-Mar-14 20:37:50

it depends on how many. A whole bag is rather a lot but we did blw with my little one and when we let try they ate three or four then didn't want any more

ikeaismylocal Wed 12-Mar-14 20:44:58

I let my ds eat prawn crackers ( just one or 2) if we were having Chinese food. He really loved them. He also loves vegetables and fruit, prawn crackers are a very occasional treat, I don't believe they are of any nutritional value to him but I think it's good for him to experience new flavours.

Sneepy Wed 12-Mar-14 21:22:44

Far too much salt for her little system! It's not necessary for babies to eat snack food.

holidaywoe Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:16

We did BLW with our youngest (now 7) and that meant what ever we ate he ate. He didn't have a single tooth in his head till after a year old but boy could he destroy a piece of steak!
I think the food police sometimes get a little over zealous about what we give babies if shes enjoying them then I don't see the harm

carabos Wed 12-Mar-14 21:30:39

I was going to ask the question about Quavers. At the airport the other day a mum was feeding her toddler DD from a bag of Quavers. It's many years since I had small children, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have given them any sort of crisp-like snack. I did wonder whether Quavers are a MN approved treat for littlies wink or whether I was ok to judge?

Twighlightsparkle Wed 12-Mar-14 21:32:14

It's fine! It's not like you are gaining them every day.

All this food police is nonsense.

GreenLandsOfHome Wed 12-Mar-14 21:33:10

I let my kids have a prawn cracker now and then (the morning after we'be had a Chinese).

They are full of salt and fat though so one or two is the absolute max (they are 6 and 3)

I don't think I'd let a 9 month old have more than a quarter of one as a taste tbh.

GreenLandsOfHome Wed 12-Mar-14 21:35:25

And in terms of nutritional value if she's a poor eater...I don't think there is any. It may be better for her to not have anything rather than fill up on those!

battyralphie Thu 13-Mar-14 16:38:39

but surely quavers are fried in oil too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now