Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel disappointed that work couldn't care less about my return (sob)? <lighthearted>

(6 Posts)
BraveLilBear Wed 12-Mar-14 10:30:43

This is a bit lighthearted really as I'm a bit bemused by it all, but...

Returned to work yesterday, after 8 months' mat leave.

Because my mat cover has been given a job and there is an extra temp in at the moment, it's a bit of a tight squeeze.

I don't have a proper desk, don't have a phone, don't have a PC. The computer provided had no access to basic functions needed for my job, so I spent the day block deleting emails and tracking down and installing vital software.

I expected this to have me raging, but instead I'm just a bit bemused and don't really know how to feel about it all.

WIBU to feel a little disappointed and unloved <dramatic swoon>?

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 12-Mar-14 10:33:08

Sorry to be depressing but it's very normal to find they treat you differently post-mat leave. Watch your back, and don't write off any concerns you have by telling yourself you're just being dramatic. Best of luck.

redskyatnight Wed 12-Mar-14 10:39:51

I think coming back from maternity is difficult. You are not new so you don't get the handholding that a new person coming in would get, but equally you can't just drop back in where you left off! I think you need a week or 2 to settle back in, but make sure to raise genuine issues (e.g. no proper PC)

BraveLilBear Wed 12-Mar-14 13:40:13

That's a sound bit of logic. Think it would bother me less if I wasn't the only full time permanent member of staff in the department!

Am seeing boss later in the week. Issues will be raised.

<sigh>

Tailtwister1 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:56:42

I agree with Tunip, returning after maternity leave can be really tough. A lot can change even in a short period, but for some reason people expect you to hit the ground running.

Make sure you approach your line manager asap with the things you need but don't have yet. They should have anticipated your return and got everything set up and ready for you coming back, just like they would with a new start.

I have been working on a refresher induction for people returning from maternity/paternity leave, which will hopefully formalise the process. If someone has been off for a year, so much will have changed it's almost like starting with a new company. A successful and smooth return to work means we have the best chance of retaining our talent and we have to recognise it's a tricky time for a lot of people. If someone feels under valued they are more likely to move elsewhere.

BraveLilBear Wed 12-Mar-14 16:14:26

Can I come and work for you tailtwister? smile That sounds like a really good idea.

A lot has changed, the department is in turmoil and my team doesn't have a line manager at the moment.

And yes, it's already crossed my mind that I should start looking elsewhere. Which is really sad, I loved my job when I started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now