Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to pay for my dry cleaning when I pick it up tonight...

(8 Posts)
Jewels234 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:59:21

Important meeting today. Took all my smart clothes to the dry cleaners on Monday morning, and asked for it to be done by first thing Wednesday. They said no problem; I can pick it up at any time on Wednesday.

Get there at 8am today to be met with 'I'm sorry there was a mistake you can't get it until 11.30am'.

I'm now attending one of the most important meetings of the year for me in a scraggy old Dorothy perkins dress and a coat that's threee sizes too big. I've lost a lot of weight recently so don't have many smart clothes that fit!

AIBU to not pay when I go and pick it up tonight?

cithkadston Wed 12-Mar-14 10:03:42

Sounds like you left it all to the eleventh hour tbh.

I'd probably just chalk it down to one of those things and then pay as normal.

mrsminiverscharlady Wed 12-Mar-14 10:08:07

So what if the OP left it late, that's what express cleaning is for! She was told that it would be ready in time and it wasn't. If they'd said it wouldn't be ready she would have made other arrangements.

I don't think I'd refuse to pay but I would ask for a hefty discount.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 12-Mar-14 10:09:45

Will they hand it over to you if you don't pay? Or are you planning to grab it and run out of the door?

They have cleaned it, so they deserve to be paid for cleaning it.

If you are unhappy that it took so long, then you should ask for a reduction if you paid a premium for them to do it quickly.

cithkadston Wed 12-Mar-14 10:11:14

Ah well yes, if OP requested an express cleaning service then I would ask for a discount.

UnicornCrisps Wed 12-Mar-14 10:11:34

Did they specify 8am or just say 'first thing'?

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 12-Mar-14 10:12:45

If you've paid extra for an express service I think they'd have a bit of a cheek to try and charge you that much, but I also think expecting the whole lot to be free is a bit much.

Lovecat Wed 12-Mar-14 10:13:36

I don't think Monday for Wednesday is leaving it til the eleventh hour! (mind you, I live/work in London where they have 2 hour dry cleaning, so a 48hr turnaround seems ridiculously long...)

Rubbish customer service, assuming you confirmed that you would come in first thing Wednesday for them - 'any time Wednesday' may not have been heard by them as being first thing (even though technically it would be). If you didn't say you really needed them first thing, you are on dodgy ground.

If, however, they knew you were coming in at 8 and needed the clothes for then, I would wait til I had the cleaning back in my hands before I talked about payment - they may hang onto your clothes otherwise! But I would definitely complain and expect them to offer a discount for the inconvenience/withhold an amount from the total. I wouldn't not pay anything at all, they have cleaned your clothes, after all.

Hope the meeting goes well and congrats on losing the weight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now