Advanced search

Council house and disability

(40 Posts)
Gerrygiraffe Tue 11-Mar-14 21:39:25

My cousin has MS, and it has started to mean she is really struggling.

She and her DH own a gorgeous old house and have loads of equity but it is increasingly unsuitable for her.

She was told today that she has been placed at band one for a council house and when a suitable one comes up she will be allocated it and any necessary changes made by the council so she can live there. She doesn't have to sell her house.

She and her DH are really pleased as they were struggling and I am delighted her life will be easier soon.

However, their plan is now to rent out their house echo which will give them a nice income every month. Whilst I understand them being given priority over housing a big part of me thinks that they should have to sell their house and use the equity to buy a more suitable property rather than take a council house which someone else may need


BumpyGrindy Tue 11-Mar-14 21:40:49

Why haven't they been able to alter their own house? I'm not sure I believe you to be honest.

BumpyGrindy Tue 11-Mar-14 21:41:34

In fact I DO NOT believe this at all. Councils would insist that those with equity provided their own modifications.

NurseyWursey Tue 11-Mar-14 21:41:55

gets popcorn out

In my opinion you're right. They are in a position to get their own house, I'm not sure why she's able to get a council house if she's in the position to sell.

BumpyGrindy Tue 11-Mar-14 21:42:26

Ah. First post OP.

Forgettable Tue 11-Mar-14 21:43:39

I am sure that you've misunderstood the circumstances OP

mrsjay Tue 11-Mar-14 21:43:44

councils dont offer houses to disabled people with their own houses she could sell her own and get an adapted house i think somebody has a pinocchio nose

Gerrygiraffe Tue 11-Mar-14 21:43:57

The house is too old and is not wheelchair accessible apparently.

I am only going by what my cousin told me. She has been assessed by the council and they have said due to her medical needs she is placed in band one and will be considered for houses as and when they arise. Her own house does not come into it (other than it is not suitable for her).

pancakesfortea Tue 11-Mar-14 21:46:07

Is it an area where council housing is in short supply? There are parts of the country where it isn't. But even there it is generally against the conditions of the tenancy to own another home.

Wantsunshine Tue 11-Mar-14 21:46:17

If this is true it is very wrong and should not be allowed.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Mar-14 21:47:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Mar-14 21:49:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gerrygiraffe Tue 11-Mar-14 21:49:46

Cousin said that it is due to her medical needs being so extreme (or will be in the future). The council have some sort of equity test but it doesn't apply to her due to the MS.

Essentially the medical need moves her from being at the bottom to band one. I may have misunderstood but I do know she is definitely making plans to move

GinSoakedMisery Tue 11-Mar-14 21:49:56

Social services adapt houses with funding. Don't gave to be council houses.

Joules68 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:50:01

Why what's wrong with them jaded?

JuniperJones Tue 11-Mar-14 21:50:19

I work in housing. It's not a situation I've come across but it depends on the local authority's housing options policy. Each local authority can set their own criteria. If she's "homeless at home" due to her disabilities, they would accept the full housing duty and stick her right up at Band 1. I do think it's unusual and would be interested to know the area - I also assume it's one of these areas with plenty of housing stock!

shakinstevenslovechild Tue 11-Mar-14 21:50:46

Lots of people want to live in council houses, that's why the lists are so long confused

Op I think you are lying you may have misunderstood the situation.

usualsuspect33 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:51:06

Lots of people want to live in council houses hmm

But I've never heard of anyone who owns their own house be offered one.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Mar-14 21:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WooWooOwl Tue 11-Mar-14 21:51:55

Is there some reason she shouldn't get a council house?

She will be paying rent for it, it won't cost anyone else anything, of course she should get council housing if she needs it. The same as anyone else should.

Council housing was never intended to be only for the poor. It is meant to be there for everyone who needs it, like state schools and the NHS.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Tue 11-Mar-14 21:52:16

They must be truly exceptional circumstances.

They would have adaptations done to their existing property under disabled adaptations scheme, aimed at keeping people in their home.

I suppose if the property had been inspected and it was found to be totally impossible to adapt it, then an alternative would have to be found.

According to an article, 60,000 council tenants own another property. so clearly it is not illegal. here

If they have a home that cannot be adapted and if it is still not illegal to own a home and have a council property and if they are being housed by the council due to disability and needs that cannot be met in any other way, then what is there to say?

paragirl1981 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:54:21

I'm in a similar situation, but we are in a private rented house. I'm struggling with the stairs and my OT is looking into getting me a stair lift fitted.
I dream of living in a Bungalow and was wondering what the situation is regarding council housing.
The thing is I live in a 4 bed detached now but I probably would only qualify for a 2 bed council property.

BumpyGrindy Tue 11-Mar-14 22:18:28

Para but you'd be much better off in a council house...or housing association house. More secure than private rented...and they'd get you what you need in terms of your disability.

StarGazeyPond Tue 11-Mar-14 22:18:51

OP, most councils are taking people OFF the list if they own a house. I think you hae probably got something a little bit wrong.

deakymom Tue 11-Mar-14 22:19:11

okay so i have heard of this before people are allocated a budget for adaptations for their home if it is not reasonable for there home to be adapted they can go on the list for council housing they can then either sell and buy something more suitable or rent out their home and provide an income for themselves thus minimising their impact on the benefits system

fyi housing associations often have properties easy to adapt or already adapted we had one they simply swapped the shower tray for a bath and it was suitable for a family but if someone disabled had needed it they would have got it first x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: