Talk

Advanced search

Or should I not lose a full day's pay for striking?

(75 Posts)
baxterstockman Tue 11-Mar-14 18:30:07

We went on strike for a day in November.

I have just had it brought to my attention that I lost a full day's pay for striking, despite the fact I work part time (6 hours per day as opposed to the 7h 30 a full time staff member would work)

I emailed the head of finance who said that 'unfortunately management decided that all staff would lose a full day's pay regardless of their working pattern'.

AIBU to think this is completely unfair - a full day for me is 6 hours!

Whilst it is only a small amount of money that I have lost out on:

a) It is the principle
b) We have to strike for a full day and a half in a few weeks so I will presumably lose out more than other colleagues again.

WooWooOwl Tue 11-Mar-14 18:32:05

YANBU, you should only lose pay equivalent to the amount of hours you would have been working.

But you do not have to strike.

holidaysarenice Tue 11-Mar-14 18:32:29

Highly unfair! Raise it with the union that you striked with!!

Nicknacky Tue 11-Mar-14 18:32:49

Isn't it fairly common that you don't get paid for striking?

DameFanny Tue 11-Mar-14 18:33:27

Sounds as if they're penalising you for your working pattern - get your union rep to take it up for you, as if there are people working pt due to a protected characteristic such as disability your employer silk be truly in the shit.

Scholes34 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:33:43

Perhaps this means you can take 7hrs 30m the next time you take a day off?

pussycatdoll Tue 11-Mar-14 18:33:52

God it must be a pain for payroll to sort out
Or you in HE as they keep striking ?

DameFanny Tue 11-Mar-14 18:34:01

Oh, and don't work the 1'5 hours you haven't been paid for.

Euphemia Tue 11-Mar-14 18:34:30

That's not the OP's point, Nicknacky. Her issue is with what constitutes a "day".

baxterstockman Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:10

I will raise it with the Union - but to be honest they have a fair bit on their plate at the minute and not sure it will be a priority.

Just DP and I are in the same job so stand to lose a fair amount of money for the next strike. I know I don't have to strike but I feel very strongly about what the government is doing to our profession.

maddy68 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:20

You should only get docked for YOUR Normal working day

ivykaty44 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:30

nickynack - but it is not common to charge someone for striking which is what the OP's company are doing

OP go and see your union and sort it with them, also make sure you pay for your pension for the day otherwise you will have a break in service

Euphemia Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:56

Yeah - next time you're on strike, don't go in the next day until the extra hour and a half has passed! grin

Nicknacky Tue 11-Mar-14 18:36:24

Ah right, I see!

baxterstockman Tue 11-Mar-14 18:38:23

pussycatdoll
I can see that it would be a pain in the arse for Payroll to sort out but that isn't really my fault!
Am a Probation Officer sad

MangoBiscuit Tue 11-Mar-14 18:41:24

I'd email finance back and explain that you've not been deducted an entire day, but 125% of a day, or a day and a quarter. As it stands, I'm pretty certain that they are breaching your contract of employment with regards to renumeration.

baxterstockman Tue 11-Mar-14 18:43:45

Thanks MangoBiscuit. I can't see how they can take more money off me than I would have earned for one day. I will pursue it.

monkeysox Tue 11-Mar-14 18:44:44

Yanbu cheeky buggers

Nanny0gg Tue 11-Mar-14 18:47:13

So they've 'fined' you for striking?

Illegal I would have thought.

Pippintea Tue 11-Mar-14 18:50:45

They are wrong. You lose the amount you would earn that day and no more. Last time I went on strike I made sure that finance knew that I was contracted to work only 1/3rd of a full day on strike day. My wage was docked accordingly.

Monmouth Tue 11-Mar-14 18:53:17

If you weren't available for work that day because you were on strike then you shouldn't be paid and for you that's 6hours. How difficult is that?

You can bet they'd get it right if they owed you a 'days' pay.

Vatta Tue 11-Mar-14 18:55:26

They're in the wrong. Part-timers are more likely to be women, so by discriminating against part-timers (which is what they're doing) they're potentially engaging in unlawful sexual discrimination.

Definitely go back to them, point out that they have effectively fined you 1.5 hours for striking, and that you think this is an unlawful deduction from your wages.

ClaraDeLaNoche Tue 11-Mar-14 18:57:50

Yup it's unlawful deduction of wages. And potentially indirect discrimination if you can establish this disproportionately negatively affects female staff. That's with my legal head on. However... I know there's principles involved but I would tread lightly!

baxterstockman Tue 11-Mar-14 18:59:24

Well I was feeling a bit miffed about this earlier, but now I have a few other people's opinions am pretty angry.

I will speak to Finance again in the morning and get the other part timers I know on side - perhaps with some pressure they will do what's right.

God knows how many more times we will be expected to strike in the next few months whilst the government pushes through their appalling reforms. I will need every penny I can get!

ll31 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:04:57

Yanbu, they are illegally deducting from your pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now