Talk

Advanced search

I feel offended. I might just be being silly though

(26 Posts)

Just had a routine appointment with the GP practice nurse. Apparently I've been a 'naughty girl' as I've put on a couple of pounds in weight.

I'm offended. Patronised. Am I being silly?

AngelaDaviesHair Tue 11-Mar-14 18:12:55

No you aren't, it's not an appropriate way to speak to an sentient adult. But did you say anything?

AngelaDaviesHair Tue 11-Mar-14 18:13:07

any sentient adult.

BigArea Tue 11-Mar-14 18:13:12

Nope, I'd agree that is a very patronising way to speak to you.

susiedaisy Tue 11-Mar-14 18:14:03

Not offended as if you have put a bit of weight on then she was correct but I would feel irritated at the juvenile wording. It's not the correct terminology to use.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 11-Mar-14 18:17:14

YANBU. Let it go for now, but if it happens again, a raised eyebrow and mildly incredulous "Sorry?" ought to make the point.

It is very annoying being spoken to like that. My consultant calls me a girl or a bright young lady a lot, which I really hate, but it is hard to combat when you are digesting the fact that you need major surgery or your condition isn't getting better.

I didn't say anything. My resentment for this woman is building though as she is absolutely useless. I have go see her every month. She forgets she's said she'll do things. She promises to arrange things and then denies saying it. She told me she didn't think I ought to be on the medicine the doctor prescribed as she thinks it's too expensive. I could go on, but won't.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 11-Mar-14 18:18:36

Offended? Really? It's just a slightly silly turn of phrase. You need to turn your offencedar down a notch I think

formerbabe Tue 11-Mar-14 18:19:14

Is putting on a couple of pounds 'naughty' or just life?

She sounds like a cow!

FastWindow Tue 11-Mar-14 18:19:32

You're at my surgery, aren't you? My nurse forgets baby vaccinations

SoleSource Tue 11-Mar-14 18:20:32

What business is it of hers wrt to the medicine???? shock tsk

Exactly, sole

DealForTheKids Tue 11-Mar-14 19:28:11

Ooh OP I have sympathy for you re the expensive medicine - DP has been told by his consultant he must be on the branded (rather than cheaper generic) version of his meds and his GP made him feel awful about how much it cost the surgery! I wanted to go down and ask the GP which was more important, his budget or my DPs health...

Oh and on the weight comment - YANBU. Being patronised is the last thing that helps in that scenario.

diabolo Tue 11-Mar-14 19:32:48

YANBU at all. Mine said something similar to me once, I'd just gone over 10 stone. Might have had some effect, but she probably weighed around 16 or 17 stone.

So I just smiled at her, evilly. wink

NewMummee Tue 11-Mar-14 19:40:41

Nurses are people too and people often say stupid things as this nurse has maybe done. I doubt she meant to upset you, maybe just tell her if she says anything like that again, how will people know they have offended if we don't tell them smile

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 11-Mar-14 20:16:46

Possibly just her trying to make light of the situation grin

My nurse gave me a disapproving look and told me at least three times how if put on 3kg. I felt scolded. I think this is the new 'thing' they're pushing

jusdepamplemousse Tue 11-Mar-14 20:44:40

Patronising definitely, but to be honest I find that quite a lot of nurses are like this? Not all by any means but it seems a common characteristic...although in this case I'd just ignore. Not the weight issue (if there is one that is) itself, but her choice of words. Just...life's too short, seriously. Nurturing offence felt over little things is exhausting. So YANBU to feel offended but to make a thing of it might be, a little.

Sharaluck Tue 11-Mar-14 20:47:15

I would be offended. Do you have to be weighed by her every month? Can you refuse or is it to do with the dosage of medication?

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Tue 11-Mar-14 20:48:45

Next time she forgets something, tsk and say 'Well it's a good job I'm here to remind you then, isn't it, you silly girl?'

ivykaty44 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:53:06

Can you refuse

yes anyone can refuse and no one can or should be forced, whether it be getting on the scales or having blood pressure taken you do not have to allow a doctor or nurse to do it.

if they were to then continue they could get into a lot of trouble

Is it sensible - that it may not be depending but none can force you even if it isn't sensible

RevoltingPeasant Tue 11-Mar-14 21:08:40

Bruno grin

honeybeeridiculous Tue 11-Mar-14 21:17:24

YANBU
My DH hates his practice nurse and will do anything to avoid her, she tried to get his prescription changed as she thought having 2 inhalers on it was too expensive and he should only have 1 item per prescription angry
WTAF has it got to do with her?!
Anyhow, his GP has now put 4 inhalers on his prescription, she will pass out when she realises grin
She also told him he should stop smoking, he has never smoked in his life!! And when he pointed this out, shouted at her she just tutted and said oh you must have smoked in your youth shock WTF??

She made me a half hour appointment for an ECG last year, she faffed about doing the usual blood pressure/ other stuff for a while before I realised she'd forgotten why I was there. I said 'what about the ECG?' and she was clearly flustered and embarrassed about forgetting. So she tried to pretend that there never was an ECG arranged.

JodieGarberJacob Tue 11-Mar-14 21:50:18

Sounds like a cow? Honestly? shock I can't believe that anyone would remember such a throwaway comment more than 5 seconds after it's been said.

tallwivglasses Tue 11-Mar-14 22:02:02

Next time list all her misdemeanors and tell her she's been a very VERY naughty girl who deserves a smacked botty wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now