Talk

Advanced search

To want to stage a breastfeeding protest in London

(36 Posts)
WooAGhostCat Tue 11-Mar-14 16:37:39

So I think we have all heard about the poor breastfeeding Mum labeled a 'tramp' in Rugeley.

I think that here in the capital we need to show our solidarity with this lady and all other breast feeding moms and stage a mass breast feed in protest that in this apparently enlightened age we are still disrespected for doing the best for our children.

JimmyPerez Tue 11-Mar-14 16:41:50

Let me give you a clue. Nobody gives a shit about breast feeding.

WooAGhostCat Tue 11-Mar-14 16:45:40

If that is true Jimmy why is it all over the news today?
Why did you bother commenting? I think people do give a shit.

shallweshop Tue 11-Mar-14 16:52:32

But that's what she's doing isn't it? Not sure it's necessary to hold another one?

WooAGhostCat Tue 11-Mar-14 16:55:48

She's doing it in Her home town. I think it should be bigger, nationwide.
What I'd really like is a change in the law, like Scotland, so the rights of BF mothers are protected by law.

formerbabe Tue 11-Mar-14 16:59:31

What change in law ghostcat?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Mar-14 17:02:41

In England and Wales the Equality Act states that it is sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding.

In Scotland breastfeeding is protected by the Breastfeeding etc. (Scotland) Act 2005 under which it is an offence to stop someone in a public place from feeding their child, if under two, with milk. The legislation allows for fines for preventing breastfeeding in public places.

formerbabe Tue 11-Mar-14 17:04:58

I thought the law in the whole of the uk was that a woman could bf anywhere...am I wrong?

brokenhearted55a Tue 11-Mar-14 17:08:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 11-Mar-14 17:08:51

You can legislate until the cows come home, it won't stop people being called names for anything at all. Quiet dignity and carry on regardless is the only way to go. Protests look like what they are - attention seeking, pointlessly. The legislation protects feeding mothers, it doesn't mean that people have to 'celebrate' it.

This woman is quite capable of standing up for herself... she's a woman, not a child and right is on her side.

Jimmy isn't wrong either - people generally do not care about breastfeeding. They do it or don't, it's not newsworthy either way.
Nobody really cares what other people do regarding baby-feeding, they're in their own little bubbles.

Oh and if you post on a forum, expect replies.

Pippintea Tue 11-Mar-14 17:16:20

What is the story? Where was she and who called her a tramp?

Pippintea Tue 11-Mar-14 17:19:20

Just seen it- someone took a photo of her and posted it on FB. To be honest, it says more about the person in the bar taking photos of a stranger than it does about this woman.
Don't think a BF sit in is required now that this person ( photographer) has been shown up for being a twat on the news.

SugarplumKate Tue 11-Mar-14 17:20:23

Here is the link to the story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-26519660

SugarplumKate Tue 11-Mar-14 17:20:41

Whoops sorry
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-26519660

DunedinGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 17:29:11

If I could I would definitely attend a protest in London. It wasn't that long ago someone got prevented from feeding in a cafe in Blackheath. So it seems it's an issue that could do with some highlighting. I like that the original protest has openly welcomed bottle feeding mums too.

MostWicked Tue 11-Mar-14 17:41:11

Seems like an awful lot of fuss over a twat on Facebook

Icimoi Tue 11-Mar-14 17:45:14

I don't have a baby to breastfeed, but if there were a demonstration local to me I would support it. There is still an incredibly prevalent attitude that bf is somehow disgusting and something that people should hide themselves away for. There are all too many people who do indeed think the Rugeley mother was a tramp, and probably a dreadful lefty to boot. We need to make it absolutely clear that people who think that way are dinosaurs and that bf is really just something that should be accepted as part of day to day life.

callamia Tue 11-Mar-14 17:46:29

It is protected by law in England.
I live in London and I've never had any problems feeding my child in public; on the dlr, the back of a bus, cafes whatever - no one seems to have noticed/cared. I'm full of admiration for the woman in Rugeley to fight back and to shame the dick who took the photo - but I'm just not sure that bf is universally disrespected.

WooAGhostCat Tue 11-Mar-14 18:17:57

I know there is a law regarding BF, but it's a bit flimsy IMO. Are you really going to prosecute a person for sexual discrimination?
On the other hand a fine seems more reasonable and is easier to implement.
We have the one of the lowest levels of BF in Europe and much needs to be done to give women more confidence.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 11-Mar-14 18:23:17

No one cares except BF mums. And when their children grow up they'll care even less IME.

WooAGhostCat Tue 11-Mar-14 18:25:52

LadyBeagleEyes I fear you are right. I always found it was the older Mums who were rude to me when I was pregnant too. It seemed to be a case of 'I had to suffer, so you can too!'. Very sad.

StarGazeyPond Tue 11-Mar-14 18:32:01

I'm with LadyBeagleEyes and FFS rise above it, not rise to the bait!

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 11-Mar-14 18:32:22

What an ageist remark OP and totally generalising.
But you carry on with your pointless campaign, I await to see you all stopping the traffic in London doing a perfectly legal activity because of one twat in Rugely.
Hugely attention seeking and like I said, no one cares how you feed your baby, and BTW I didn't suffer during pregnancy, I BF for a bit and nobody looked at me twice, particularly old ladies.

RedFocus Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:14

My husbands ex thinks I'm disgusting because I bf my kids blush It's not like I was offering to bf hers! wink
I really don't think a protest will do any good though but maybe giving bf mums some tools to cope with all those very stupid and ignorant people out there would be better. If bf mums knew their rights it might go some way into shutting them up (the ignorant people not the bf mums obviously wink)

meganorks Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:14

I think mass breastfeesing protests just make breastfeeding women look like a bunch of nutjobs. Doesn't normalise breastfeeding just reinforces stupid people's views that beastfeeding is weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now