Talk

Advanced search

to think that the Alex Jones rock climbing stunt for sport relief is stupid

(31 Posts)
sherbetpips Tue 11-Mar-14 13:18:35

All of the sport relief adverts point to the fact that it is easy and you do not need to train hard to raise money for sport relief.
Why on earth then is a celebrity who has never rock climbed in her life taking on this hellish task, sleeping overnight for two nights until she gets to the top?
Davina nearly managed to kill herself by swimming in a lake that bans people swimming in it in the winter because its too dangerous.
Why do they have to go to such extrememes? Does anyone actually find it entertaining? Whats next year, walking on the sun?

feathermucker Tue 11-Mar-14 13:22:18

The more challenging ('outrageous') it is, the more money it raises, and that can only be a good thing. Possibly to do with the celebrities pushing their own boundaries too.

YABU

smartiepantsgirl Tue 11-Mar-14 13:25:15

Well I guess in terms of producing a tv film to show on the night that will encourage viewers to donate their hard earned cash, it makes for more interesting and inspiring viewing than 'Alex and Davina walk a 5k'

I personally find it quite inspiring to see someone push themselves like Davina has, and no doubt Alex will do. They're clearly fit and have gone into these challenges with their eyes open and with considerable support. It doesn't make me feel confused about Sport Relief, if anything it would encourage me to do something, no matter how small or by comparison, less challenging

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Tue 11-Mar-14 13:30:26

I just don't get why people need to see something challenging to give money to a cause - surely it's the cause that's important?

Unfortunately that seems to be the reality though, so in a sense YABU, but I agree with the sentiment.

mum2bubble Tue 11-Mar-14 13:31:45

I'm with you sherbetpips - I just don't get it. Also - how much money will it cost the BBC to fly her, a camera crew and support team over to Utah?
YANBU.

specialsubject Tue 11-Mar-14 13:34:49

be aware of this before donating to Sport Relief or Comic Relief:

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10393457/BBC-shelves-Panorama-expose-of-Comic-Relief.html

whatever the truth, their overheads are MASSIVE.

give to charity, yes. Donate via cheque or bank transfer, signing a gift aid form if you are eligible. Don't sponsor this kind of nonsense, don't use the justgiving type websites (6% commission). Means your name doesn't get shouted around as a donor, but that doesn't matter.

Topaz25 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:35:11

Pushing themselves is one thing but taking on challenges they don't have enough experience for is unwise and sets an inappropriate example. Apparently "despite working out in an indoor climbing centre since January, Jones will only have undertaken one outdoor climb, in Pembrokeshire, prior to her three-day ordeal in America."
Read more: www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Alex-Jones-climbs-Utah-rock-face-Sport-Relief/story-20781383-detail/story.html#ixzz2vf1Tt6qf

These celebs are risking their health and people watching could get the impression you don't have to train properly for these events.

WipsGlitter Tue 11-Mar-14 13:36:55

On The One Show last night she was doing a training climb. I couldn't follow it properly because of the pesky kids, but she was definitely weeping at one point. Mind you it was totally shite weather.

sherbetpips Wed 12-Mar-14 12:37:01

But she isn't fit - the doctor said so - and she isn't a rock climber, becoming a runner or a swimmer is one thing but rock climbing up a rock that would be challenging to a very experienced rock climber is too much IMO.

Plus the issue of the costs involved it just feels very over the top.

Teeb Wed 12-Mar-14 12:46:19

Oh God op, I agree with you. What is it with celebrities that seems to make them think a camera man and film crew following them around suddenly makes them invincible?

EverythingsDozy Wed 12-Mar-14 15:38:56

You can walk on the sun but you have to do it at night, obviously grin

lollerskates Wed 12-Mar-14 17:28:48

How is watching someone do something very stupid "inspiring"?

quanglewangle1 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:11:17

If I am going to sponsor someone to do something, there must be some reasonable risk of them failing, otherwise it not sponsorship, not a challenge, it is simply a donation, which is fine, but different.
Of course people should do things until they drop, swim where it is dangerous, reach beyond their grasp. This really is the triumph of the human spirit.

MrsCR Wed 19-Mar-14 21:17:11

I said the same thing to my DH last night - the 'stunts' are just getting ridiculous now, and with so many in the same year they are becoming 'normal' which is crazy when you think of the costs both to stage and physical damage to the people involved!!

like you say, whats next - walking on the sun grin we came up with licking a crocodile grin grin

Lorelilee Wed 19-Mar-14 21:20:26

Alex Jones gives me the rage by just 'being', so all I can see is the ME! ME! ME! side of this.

WestmorlandSausage Wed 19-Mar-14 21:33:45

Davina nearly managed to kill herself by swimming in a lake that bans people swimming in it in the winter because its too dangerous.

Eh?

1.She swam in Windermere (technically not a lake)
2.There are many reasons you shouldn't swim in Windermere but 'being too cold isn't one of them'. Would rather make a mockery of the Big Chill Swim. Held in Windermere, in february grin

but despite my pedantry on those points OP, I agree with you

WestmorlandSausage Wed 19-Mar-14 21:35:11

and excuse my awful punctuation.

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Wed 19-Mar-14 21:35:21

YANBU

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Mar-14 21:41:40

I didn't see Davina but it was just a mile wasn't it?

Sure she's capable of the chalkenge at her level of fitness!

I am imagining that the climbing is top roped nit leading so I don't see the problem tbh.

Surely they'll only do it if they want to, and plenty of people enjoy a bit of a challenge and a drop of adrenaline!

Nomama Wed 19-Mar-14 21:45:13

Erm... they are putting across the TWIN Sport Relief messages.

1. Sponsor me for doing something different. Raise money to support all sorts of activities.

2. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to - get up off the couch and get out there. Get active, get healthy.

Getting more people to do number 2 is supported financially by number 1. The health of the nation is supported by both.

sherbetpips Wed 19-Mar-14 21:56:28

Windermere isn't a lake? New factoid to file away in the brain thanks!

I found tonights show quite distressing, she was extremely upset and crying and was struggling physically.

I fully understand the concept nomama but I just feel it gets more extreme year on year and is no longer entertaining. I certainly don't feel encouraged to donate on the basis of it.

HunterWellies Wed 19-Mar-14 21:59:38

The swim across Windermere was part of a run/cycle/swim challenge that spanned the length of the uk.

I was quite moved actually, when I saw what she had put herself through, and texted a donation.

So that worked, didn't it?

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 19-Mar-14 22:00:02

Not a lake?? What is it then?

HunterWellies Wed 19-Mar-14 22:02:20

I expect it's a mere is it Westmorland?

Just to clarify, my post was about Davina, not Alex, sorry. I don't watch The One Show.

Nomama Wed 19-Mar-14 22:03:33

I feel the same way about all the Live Aid and Childrens Charities, 'just £2 and Nokomo won't starve tonight'.

I have long acknowledged I have run out of compassion. So I don't give to any of them. Instead I support 3 charities at work, wheelchairs, tractors and water for specific places, schools in Africa. Our students go out to them and work with them over summer and gap years.

But someone upthread did ask 'what's the point? Why do they do that?'. I don't watch or donate either. But I think that Live Aid showed that such big gives are for the young. As you get older you make more selective choices and, maybe, being part of a big 'thing' loses its appeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now