Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to want a paper tv licence

(18 Posts)
londonrach Tue 11-Mar-14 10:30:38

Just telephoned the tv licence people to ask where my paper tv licence is to be told they dont send them out anymore. So all i have as proof is a tiny receipt from our local pp point. Aibu to want something better to proof payment for the whole year. Am dreading the lack of tax discs when my comes up for renewal. :-(.

londonrach Tue 11-Mar-14 10:32:09

Mine not my in the last line as the computer changed it!

SylvanMuldoon Tue 11-Mar-14 10:38:00

Don't they have it online? Go on the website if you haven't already and you should be able to put your existing licence no in and view an online version.

I hope so anyway!

DidoTheDodo Tue 11-Mar-14 10:45:53

They do send them out. I've just got one. You have to tick the relevant box on the application form, or they will email you one.

I too wanted a paper one.

CountessOfRule Tue 11-Mar-14 10:46:49

I pay mine by direct debit and would use a bank statement to prove it if necessary.

HMG83 Tue 11-Mar-14 10:47:21

It's all on a database so they know you have one for the whole year. You don't need to prove it.

dexter73 Tue 11-Mar-14 10:48:23

You can print one out if you log on to your account.

sheriffofnottingham Tue 11-Mar-14 10:50:09

I'm so glad things do exist on paper anymore.

If something is on paper I will either lose it on spill tea on it. I once had a cheque for 4 million quid on my desk at work (sadly not made out to me). I spilled tea on it.

KatoPotato Tue 11-Mar-14 10:50:28

As it will be held online, nobody should ever need proof?

sheriffofnottingham Tue 11-Mar-14 10:50:35

*don't exist on paper anymore

Oldraver Tue 11-Mar-14 11:48:33

Lack of Tax Discs ? are they being done away with ? If so thats brilliant, no need for them nowadays

dexter73 Tue 11-Mar-14 17:22:52

Oldraver - I think they are going in October.

MajorGrinch Tue 11-Mar-14 17:26:45

It saves me from having to put it in a drawer where it'll stay until I find it in 5 years time....

Never been asked to produce one as their database will show that you've paid - hence getting rid of the paper one. That's why I never bother keeping an MOT certificate in the car, and why I'm glad they're ditching paper tax discs...

By all means have a paper copy, but I think you should have to pay a couple of quid for it same as you do for paper bank statements....

specialsubject Tue 11-Mar-14 17:54:20

you can get it from your online account. You clearly have internet access.

non problem.

Icimoi Tue 11-Mar-14 17:55:36

Very happy to lose one of the many bits of paper that get sent to me. If it's online, I know exactly where to find it if I need it. I'm afraid I really can't say that of the paper licence.

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 12-Mar-14 14:49:01

YANBEntirelyU. People are far too trusting of organization's data systems - esepcially given the history of this country's public bodies over data security. A database can become corrupted or be hacked, ou have no idea what their audit trails are like or their disaster recovery. It is prudent to keep proof of payment that is separate from and independent of the organization's records.

But really that little receipt from your local pp point is pretty much as good as an expensive to produce piece of paper. Staple it to a bit of A4 and write on that any details it doesn't contain, then file as you would have the licence.

RedFocus Wed 12-Mar-14 16:02:00

Any chance they will go paperless (plastic less) with driving licences as mine has been lost in the post and I have a feeling they are going to make me pay for another one sad

CountessOfRule Wed 12-Mar-14 16:04:06

Too many organisations want to check your driving licence, and you wouldn't want them to have access to the DVLA database. I'm thinking of using it to prove your identity at a bank or estate agent's, or a new employer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now