Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not understand the fuss about Cheryl Cole?

(130 Posts)
NeonMuffin Tue 11-Mar-14 09:53:56

Apparently Cheryl is returning to X Factor. It's on the front page of today's Sun newspaper, you'd never think that there were more important things going on in the world like a plane with over 200 people on board still being missing or all the trouble between Russia and the Ukraine

I have never got the fuss over this pointless woman. She can't sing for toffee and has an assault conviction which she's never shown an ounce of remorse for as far as I'm aware, in fact the whole thing has conveniently been airbrushed out of her backstory.

A few years ago during the peak of her popularity I updated my FB status to say that I couldn't see the fuss about her, that I thought she fake, that she couldn't sing and I was sick of having her rammed down my throat. From the many responses I received you'd have sworn I'd murdered someone. I was told I was a "hater" that I was "just jealous" and one person even said that they were "shocked and disgusted" by comments. I was unfriended by some people and was the subject of many passive aggressive status updates saying how wonderful Cheryl was and that she should "ignore the haters" obviously referring to me....

The hold she has over some is just bizarre. Maybe she's like the Demon Headmaster or something and has hypnotic powers that many fall for but others not?

I just don't get it, at all? AIBU?

willowisp Tue 11-Mar-14 09:56:53

Nope !

& I don't get Beyoncé either !

Stinklebell Tue 11-Mar-14 09:58:43

No, I don't get it either.

I have a shit list, and she is in joint first place with Paul McCartney

I cannot stand her, I don't know why, her return is not likely to make me watch X factor again.

NigellasDealer Tue 11-Mar-14 09:59:50

YANBU she is utterly pointless other than that she is very pretty. Still that is a woman's worth really it seems.
oh one theory i liked was that she was a 'beard' for her husband.

sebsmummy1 Tue 11-Mar-14 10:00:16

It's because she is very pretty with dimples. Honestly. If she had an averagely attractive face she would not be popular.

NeonMuffin Tue 11-Mar-14 10:03:13

The media is run by sad middle aged men I suppose, and whoever they fancy gets endless press coverage.

zoeannie Tue 11-Mar-14 10:04:34

She's a typical mean girl type that everyone thinks is wonderful even though she's not.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Tue 11-Mar-14 10:06:07

Agree with OP.
Hate the phrase 'national treasure' used in reference to her. Ugh.

I do however like your reference to the Demon Headmaster. It has reminded me of a simpler, Cheryl Cole free time.

HandsOffMyGazBaz Tue 11-Mar-14 10:08:57

Jesus women are really our own worst enemies aren't we?

If she is so pointless op, why do you post about her here and on Facebook. So she is on the front page of the sun? That pillar of journalistic integrity? So what?

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Mar-14 10:13:10

You aren't allowed to say anything about women on MN any more without someone saying what HandsOff has just said.

Everything has to be complimentary. If it isn't then we are letting down the sisterhood apparently. hmm

Biffa Cole. Meh.

treaclesoda Tue 11-Mar-14 10:15:30

I don't like her much either, for various reasons. I do think she is very beautiful though, and beauty is mesmerising for people.

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:34

Beautiful on the outside treacle. When all made up and photoshopped obvs. grin

cithkadston Tue 11-Mar-14 10:19:36

I agree with treaclesoda that beauty is mesmerising for some. I've known a few beautiful people that have got away with awful behaviour and being really unpleasant people because they're good looking.

SoleSource Tue 11-Mar-14 10:20:16

No, I do not get the fuss about her either.

treaclesoda Tue 11-Mar-14 10:20:31

Yes, I agree actually Sparkling although I was afraid that if I said 'beautiful on the outside' I might be rounded on by people saying 'but you've no idea what she is like on the inside' which would be a fair point grin

The best way I could describe it is that her previous behaviour in many ways leads me to believe that perhaps she might not be the most pleasant individual, although of course only people who know her will know if that is true or not. The assault conviction sticks in my mind, I have to say.

Wuxiapian Tue 11-Mar-14 10:21:19

She's very pretty.

That's about it.

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Mar-14 10:21:59

Yes treacle we will no doubt be asked 'do you know her then?' at some point.grin

JonSnowsPout Tue 11-Mar-14 10:22:50

Is she the one who punched the toilet assistant in the face?

Silly twat

RedFocus Tue 11-Mar-14 10:24:10

I cannot stand her either and think she's a waste of air.

NeonMuffin Tue 11-Mar-14 10:25:25

I always felt sorry for Dannii Minogue on X Factor. She was always made to feel like a shrivelled up old hag next to Cheryl when she's also very pretty in her own right (prettier than her sister IMO) and not even that old really.

HandsOffMyGazBaz Tue 11-Mar-14 10:26:46

Oh yawn sparkling. .

I just don't understand why anyone needs to stick the boot into anyone. .regardless of who they are. .

Im sooo boring aren't I?

<off to punish myself for not being a cunt>

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Mar-14 10:27:02

I like Danni Minogue but she lost points from me for getting involved with SC.

Talking of SC he obviously isn't thinking straight at the moment. All those shots of him topless in jeans lately. Bleurgh.

treaclesoda Tue 11-Mar-14 10:27:22

I must say, I'm quite intrigued by the OPs facebook friends who got so vexed over someone else not liking their celebrity of choice that they unfriended her! I can not ever imagine getting so worked up about something like that that I'd want to unfriend them. Unless I suppose they posted something like 'that Jim Davidson's a laugh, his views on women are spot on'. That might be enough to work me up into a public slagging match and an unfriending wink

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Mar-14 10:27:49

Yes you are being quite boring HandsOff. Lighten up. grin

SelectAUserName Tue 11-Mar-14 10:27:57

She's on the front page because people like to talk about celebs, and if they can get a bit judgy about them at the same time then so much the better.

You've proved the editor's point by starting this thread, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now