Talk

Advanced search

to think there's nothing wrong with not reading fiction books?

(27 Posts)
kim147 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:24:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gigondas Tue 11-Mar-14 08:28:32

Nothing wrong at all- some of smartest people I know are like you in their reading habits.

I think the survey missing out point that you need a certain amount if free time (even if it's a commute) and money (not everyone has time to get to a library ) to buy books. survey says more about how people are cash and time poor I think.

AlpacaLypse Tue 11-Mar-14 08:30:26

Of course there's nothing wrong with you personally preferring not to read fiction/read purely for entertainment. The article is talking about a broad sweep.

chemenger Tue 11-Mar-14 08:32:11

I know several professors of engineering who boast that they haven't read a novel since school. I am not sure they are very rounded people, but they are successful and have generally spent the time they weren't reading novels writing books. I on the other hand read masses of fiction and am not very successful... I sometimes feel I should read more non-fiction but never quite get round to it.

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 08:32:28

My OH almost never reads fiction books for pleasure, but he reads all the time, and very widely. When I read that report, I thought it was also to do with the level of sustained concentration required that some struggle with, and the level of the text involved.

AlpacaLypse Tue 11-Mar-14 08:33:00

Gigondas the article refers to people preferring to watch tv/surf the net - both of which require time and money to set up, so the finance/too busy argument doesn't wash with me.

However I now need to go to work... will drop back in later.

MaidOfStars Tue 11-Mar-14 08:33:40

Is there anything wrong not reading fiction books?

Oh golly, the world of fiction has given me such pleasure and such beautiful imagery. I can't imagine not having known that.

TheMaw Tue 11-Mar-14 08:51:38

Nope, I'm a librarian and I mainly read non-fiction now. But that's because I've started to feel like I've read every plot ever been conceived and I'll never be surprised again! So if anyone has any recommendations......

I can see why fewer people read though. Libraries don't cater to the general public - if you work 9-5 Mon-Fri then getting to a library is nearly impossible (certainly is in my LA) plus books are really expensive if you're on a low income.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 11-Mar-14 08:54:38

I read barely any fiction, and even watch barely any fiction on tv.

There's so many exciting things to discover!

NobodyLivesHere Tue 11-Mar-14 08:58:39

Nothing wrong with it, but I can't imagine my life without books, I'm on a very low income and I get my books from charity shops and boot sales and swap with friends.

But no, if your preference is non-fiction then that's fine, my son loves to read graphic novels, he had a teacher who was very sniffy about it not being a 'proper' book, but to me reading is reading.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 11-Mar-14 08:59:02

I think reading fiction, particularly most classics, would soon turn me right off reading.

JennySense Tue 11-Mar-14 09:04:29

Funnily enough over the last year I've been trying to read more and more fiction as I was really reading nothing but nonfiction and I started to feel I needed some escapism.

quirrelquarrel Tue 11-Mar-14 09:06:15

I like fiction.....but I feel like it's taking me away from my reading grin

I really like YA and kids books though. But most of what's on my bookshelves here at uni is biography or history. I just feel freed from the sort of guilt I used to feel about not reading widely, in my teens, which had me plodding through all sorts of classics and only enjoying a bit here and there. I don't HAVE to read Ulysses (yay!) because I don't have to be smart, I can be what I am, whatever that might be. That's it. I can choose now and that's great.

That said one of my favourite writers did all fiction, Colette. She said she wrote 'commonplace poetry', that suits me down to the ground. I like HE Bates too and some others....Chaim Potok....

thegreylady Tue 11-Mar-14 09:06:54

Not wrong but a bit sad to think there are people around who don't know the pleasure of a good book. My life would be diminished indeed without books ( looks at 2000+ books in house). We don't watch much tv and both read avidly every day. My dc and dgc have been brought up to love books too.
However I do not believe that not reading fiction is indicative of anything except lack of time and inclination. I struggle to like most modern art, I can't stand pop music and don't enjoy opera. Each to his/her own say I.

quirrelquarrel Tue 11-Mar-14 09:07:14

haha oops, obvs couldn't think of any more!

motherinferior Tue 11-Mar-14 09:08:47

Nothing wrong, but just very sad. IMO.

Libraries are free - reserving a book is 50p in my local authority, I do it online - and charity shops sell v cheap books. I'm not just preaching: this is how I get the majority of my books. That and blagging review copies.

Goblinchild Tue 11-Mar-14 09:12:22

I left every class I'd ever had with a library of age-appropriate and interesting books at the end of the year. Charity shops and The Book People.
It made a huge number of children very happy, and if one child was really into a particular book, as they were mine I could say Take it and put your name in it Reading and enjoyment are such a gift, but non-fiction can be as enlightening and fantastical as fiction.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Tue 11-Mar-14 09:15:13

That article doesn't say anything about purely fiction though does it?

flipchart Tue 11-Mar-14 09:17:07

Occasionally I read a book but only if I know I'm going to be in a contained place for ages eg driving to France from Lancashire can usually see off a book or two.
But generally speaking no, I don't really read non fiction, I prefer to read live stuff, or be out doing things.

kentishgirl Tue 11-Mar-14 09:28:07

That article is not about people not reading fiction. It is about people not reading books, of any kind.

I believe that is tied into lack of education, lack of interest in the world around you, lack of intelligence if I'm honest. I get a big judgy fit when I go into a house and there isn't a single book anywhere. I think it's a tragedy for children to be growing up in homes like this. But why this also correlates to income, I don't know. None of my family have much money but we are all avid readers. Education is the way out of poverty. People are just too lazy - it's easier to bug out in front of the TV. (excusing those with dislexia/learning disabilities etc).

kim147 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:32:00

BertieBotts Tue 11-Mar-14 09:33:19

I didn't for years and years, just read non fiction. I found it too hard and frustrating to find fiction I actually enjoyed - it was always either cliche and predictable (boring) or does the really irritating thing of jumping around between time periods and I find it difficult and frustrating to follow. Or nothing really happened.

TillyTellTale Tue 11-Mar-14 09:39:52

I read less becasue of MN too. Not sure that's a good thing.

Is reading strings of (argumentative grin) posts, average length of two paragraphs, a substitute for a well-written, well-edited book? And does it affect one's mood as positively as MN?

And is mucking about on the internet damaging our attention spans?

Preciousbane Tue 11-Mar-14 09:40:29

almondcake Tue 11-Mar-14 09:41:13

I think this is being a bit overstated. The actual figures they're writing this about is that 27% of the poorest group and 13% of the richest group never read books, and that 62% of the richest group and 42% of the poorest group read at least weekly. Those are not massive differences, and certainly not indicating that most of the poorest people never read books. They could just as easily have written this article from the same stats and said we are a nation of readers and that even in the poorest social group, 73% of people read for pleasure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now