Talk

Advanced search

To think this bike is to big for my Dd and ask shop to change it

(17 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Tue 11-Mar-14 05:21:30

Went to a bike shop on Saturday to buy a new bike for DD's 7th birthday. She has been riding a 16 inch bike till now which has been too small for a while, she is fairly average height maybe on the slightly tall side.

Tried 20 inch wheel bike in shop and guy said saddle was almost high as it would go and DD might only have a year in it. He was putting a 24 inch together and suggested coming back in half an hour to look at it.

DH went back with DD and they bought the bigger bike but I think it is too big. She can ride it but struggles to manoeuvre it when not riding (eg wheeling it to park it) and it is also a big leap in sophistication eg lots gears. I think she will struggle on this for a year and would have more fun on smaller bike. I have a younger DD so even if she outgrew in 18 months we could pass it on so not bothered about this.

Do you think they would change it we literally rode it home on pavement (which they let us try in pavement) anyway and outside our house not on muddy track or anything. I know I will really worry about her in this bigger bike.

Thanks.

mymiraclebubba Tue 11-Mar-14 05:42:29

Can only ask! They can either say yes or no

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 11-Mar-14 06:15:14

I know I am just so worried they will be difficult can I argue it is not fit for purpose?

BonaDea Tue 11-Mar-14 06:24:57

They possibly could but I don't see why they would be so unreasonable about it. You might want to play up your safety concerns a little.

On the other hand, if it is a reputable shop the guy was probably giving you the best advice he could and you may find he's right.

Best not to fret either way - just have a friendly chat and see what they say...

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Mar-14 06:25:54

Was it a local idependent shop ? They are generally a lot more accommodating than chains ?

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 11-Mar-14 06:41:01

It was a local shop is a chain but not multi national more specialust to be fair I know nothing about bikes really and I wasn't like the bigger bike was loads more money in some ways I guess if he wanted to fleece us he would have sold us the smaller bike so we had to replace it quickly. Maybe it is just the big leap makes it seem so big she prob outgrew old bike a year ago so if we had replaced it then we would have got 2 plus years from it. Guess no harm in having a chat.

wonderingsoul Tue 11-Mar-14 07:01:54

ds1 was like this.. he out grew his bike.. one that he used to whiz about on.. his new one took some time to get the hang off because it was quite big, it was heavier . hes fine on it after a week or two.

i say give it a go but if they wont, dont worry to much im sure shell get the nag of it x

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 11-Mar-14 07:20:15

You can't argue it's not fit for purpose because it doesn't fit her. Fit for purpose would mean it's not fit for the purpose it was manufactured for (I.e.. Being a 24inch bike) not it doesn't do what you are trying to make it do. You just have to ask and hope they have good customer service.

If they don't you could get her a secondhand 20 inch bike to last the year and keep the current one for when she's that little bit bigger.

WilsonFrickett Tue 11-Mar-14 07:33:48

It's normal to struggle a bit, my DS is only just getting to grips with his Christmas bike because it's the 'next size up' and tbh he needed to grow an inch.

But you can always ask, if they've good customer service and the bike is spotless they may do a swap. Doesn't mean the guy's advice was wrong though so I wouldn't go in with fit for purpose and stuff. The bike is fit for purpose, it's just DD needs to grow into it a bit.

Ilovehamabeads Tue 11-Mar-14 08:12:25

That is a big jump in terms of size, I can understand why she's struggling a bit. My dd is quite wary of riding bikes and we've always had to get a size down from what she 'should' be riding because of that. The one time we got a size appropriate bike it stayed in the shed for a year cos she was petrified of it.
No harm in asking, if it were me I would go back and explain what you have said here.

Oblomov Tue 11-Mar-14 12:34:08

It's not unfit for purpose at all. When Ds1 moves up a bike, he's always a bit cautious, even a tiny bit frightened to start off with. It is normal. But then , one if his classmates sees him on it, comments how totally cool and huge it is, and funnily enough he's fine!!

Sell it to her. Big girls bike, wait till they see it, they will all be impressed ......

If the worst comes to the worst by a second hand 20 as a go between. Like another poster sensibly suggested.

You seem over cautious. Are you sure this isn't more your anxiety than hers?

littledrummergirl Tue 11-Mar-14 12:49:27

If she can sit on the saddle with both feet flat then it is fine(or at least thats what we use as a guide). Bigger bikes do take a bit of getting used to.
If her feet cant touch the floor when on the saddle and the shop checked this first, then they should change it as in my opinion they have mis-sold.

Chopstheduck Tue 11-Mar-14 12:53:00

from what I remember as a law student, if you have specified a particular use and it really is too big for her, the fit for purpose clause would apply.

but, really I think you should persevere with it. She will soon get used to it, and it is so much easier to ride on a larger bike than one that is too small and she might outgrow soon. Leave it on a middling gear for now, so she doesn't need to worry about that yet.

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 11-Mar-14 12:57:06

My DH did this yr, DS had money for Christmas for new bike and had finally mastered riding a 12 inch, we spotted a bargain in the bike shop but it was a 20 inch. I told DH it was too big but he wouldn't listen, 3 months later when DS hadn't touched it cos he felt he couldn't ride it properly, we picked up a free! 16 inch bike from a local FB selling page which was perfect. Then DS grew and by the summer the 20 inch was perfect for him and he bombs about happily on it now.

I wouldn't have taken DS' 20 inch back to change for a different size though, because it was a really good buy and he was only going to get bigger not smaller! But in your case 24 inch does sound massive for an only just 7 yo :/

steff13 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:05:17

A bicycle is the correct height when you can put the balls of your feet on the ground.

"For children the best way to ensure the frame is the correct size is to have the child sit on the seat and be able to place the balls of their feet on the ground and reach the handlebars comfortably."

www.ebicycles.com/article/what-size-bicycle-do-i-need.html

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 11-Mar-14 13:10:08

When you get a new car does it take a while to get used to? It's probably just the same with your DD. If it really is too big let her carry on with the 16 inch for a few months and then try her again.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Thu 13-Mar-14 15:20:09

My 7 and a half year old ds has just moved up to a 24 inch. He is a super confident cyclist, and probably about 130cm tall so he is fine.

If you feel the bike is too big do take it back, they should happily take it back and sell you the 20"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now