Talk

Advanced search

To not understand the point of Minecraft?

(64 Posts)
Whatevertheweather Mon 10-Mar-14 20:14:21

Or is there no point? DD (7) has recently started playing it, she just appears to be wondering around aimlessly occasionally she plonks a few bricks down. Is she supposed to find things? Complete things? There must be more to it than this?!

weeblueberry Mon 10-Mar-14 20:16:57

It's digital Lego. People don't question the point of Lego smile

MajesticWhine Mon 10-Mar-14 20:18:20

Just asked my 13 yr old and she said: "the point is being able to express your own creativity and do what you want"
grin
So there

Oblomov Mon 10-Mar-14 20:27:06

You build. Your own houses, castles, anything. Using different bricks. Then you put in windows, different coloured carpets.
It's about imagination.

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 10-Mar-14 20:27:08

There is a great article on the guardian about minecraft. Can't link because I'm on my phone. It was written by a parent who found it as bewildering as the rest of us.

pepperrabbit Mon 10-Mar-14 20:28:59

DS1 builds stuff, DS2 seems to spend his time blowing things up, flooding things and accidentally killing things (sounded like cows but couldn't quite summon up the enthusiasm to actually go a check smile)
So they are both quite happy.

Ilovehamabeads Mon 10-Mar-14 20:29:53

Yanbu. I don't get it at all, and neither do my children. They love lego though so if that's all it is, Im not sure why we don't understand/enjoy it.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 10-Mar-14 20:30:31

I believe they are cows, yes. And you can treat them quite horribly. I like a good computer game with plenty of death and destruction as much as the next addict, but I draw the line at skinning live cows.

The boys love it though.

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OddFodd Mon 10-Mar-14 20:32:05

You build stuff, you explore stuff, you mine, you do whatever you want. You might want to get her a Minecraft for Beginners guide so she can learn 'recipes' to make things she needs. Or maybe she's quite happy and it's just you who's a bit disappointed? grin

OddFodd Mon 10-Mar-14 20:34:10

Here's the Guardian article

DS builds houses and then fills them with pigs for some reason

Anniegetyourgun Mon 10-Mar-14 20:34:52

(I say "boys", one of them's 27...)

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:37:23

Whatevertheweather Mon 10-Mar-14 20:46:33

Right okay Minecraft for beginners seems to be a must. She is quite happy but just randomly throwing bricks down she's not actually building anything. Haven't seen any animals, dead or alive grin She found a lake earlier and seemed quite pleased with that smile

kim147 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:48:51

HadABadDay2014 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:49:25

Is she on creative mood or survival

HadABadDay2014 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:52:14

If she is on survival the first thing she needs to do is chopped down some trees and then make a crafting table. Once she has done that she will need more wood to make a pick axe.

Next she needs to build a house to protect her in the night.

I suggest a cave

BertieBotts Mon 10-Mar-14 21:05:09

You can build stuff, you can explore, you can find stuff, you can experiment with combining stuff to make more stuff and see what you can make things do grin you can also tame some of the animals.

It's a sandbox game, the entire premise is there is no "point" smile it's just about whatever you want to make it. It's great. Let her discover it by herself smile when she starts to get frustrated because she doesn't know how to do things, then look into getting the book. But I have to say half the fun of it is discovering and working out how to do things without a handy guide to show you how.

LovelyJubblies Mon 10-Mar-14 22:10:11

My dss (8 and 11) have just started playing it.
Where would I get the beginners guide book from please?

RedPencils Mon 10-Mar-14 22:12:16

It's keeps the DCs quiet for hours. That is the point.

fanoftheinvisibleman Mon 10-Mar-14 22:15:26

All book shops seem to have the beginners and redstone manuals. Ds and his friend have a whole town on the go with a cake factory and railway system.

There is more but I lose the will to live!

MrsSteptoe Mon 10-Mar-14 22:15:48

Minecraft Official Beginners Handbook and various other follow ups are all available on Amazon, LovelyJubblies, and also in Waterstones - pretty much everywhere! - I must admit I can't see teh point, but my DS is absolutely obsessed and there's actually a Minecraft club at the school he's starting in September so it'll be a way of getting to know some of the kids as well (since no-one he knows is going there)

Lovecat Mon 10-Mar-14 22:16:55

DD has just finished building a hotel. The basement of which is a shallow swimming pool filled with gently-bobbing sheep. I have no idea why... but she's very happy. Before the hotel there was a vet's surgery where the treatment was to drive the animals though a vat of lava <resists urge to look up 'early markers of sociopathy in children' >

She's currently trying to catch an ocelot. I hate to think what she's going to do with it when she gets one...

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 10-Mar-14 22:17:14

Sorry can I just share something that has completely blown my mind? I was just talking to friends in California and they have a Minecraft club in their neighbourhood where you can build your village, and then have it actually created by a 3D printer! I mean, how awesome is that?!

As you were.

Monetbyhimself Mon 10-Mar-14 22:18:49

Mine are also all obsessed. I bought them a Minecraft annual from Smyths Toys at Christmas. Dd has just downloaded/ created a Harry Potter minecraft world which is apparently. 'BIG' deal, (clueless)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now