Talk

Advanced search

To think the Paralympics doesn't get the coverage it deserves.

(27 Posts)
dellybobs Mon 10-Mar-14 18:58:49

The Winter Olympics were on everyday for several hours almost all day on BBC 1 and 2 but the Paralympics have just a half an hour slot on channel 4 per day. Seeing how amazing Jade Etherington has done on the news gaining bronze. Her sporting ability is incredible with her disability and I was open mouthed at what she achieved. Why isn't it given the same coverage as the winter games last month, or why wasn't it held at the same time and integrated in so it was given the same audience?

AnyFucker Mon 10-Mar-14 18:59:15

yadnbu

Lollypop1983 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:00:06

I sat and watch it with LO most of the morning...he does get up at 6 tho lol! It's on for a good 4/5 hours in the morning. Not sure about the rest of the day....

formerbabe Mon 10-Mar-14 19:00:31

The winter Olympics is so dull as is the winter Paralympics...

I'd rather they showed none of it.

AnyFucker Mon 10-Mar-14 19:01:20

YOu may think that, FB, but many people do not

Lollypop1983 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:01:31

I'm not sure how that compares with normal witer Olympics tho. And I think if it ran at the same time, it would get even less coverage.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 10-Mar-14 19:03:42

Far too complicated to integrate the two. The paras would surely then be given even less time...

dellybobs Mon 10-Mar-14 19:04:35

Oh I love it , it's all so impressive. Not sure I'm a massive fan of watching curling however .

Lollypop I was just basing the viewing time on what is on in the afternoon and early evening as that is when I got chance to watch the winter games but the Paralympics just gets half an hour at 19.30.

dellybobs Mon 10-Mar-14 19:07:29

Yes I can imagine it would probably be given less coverage. Such a shame.

myitchybeaver Mon 10-Mar-14 19:07:37

I agree in principle but loathe the Winter Olympics so would rather they showed none of it. I don't want to see skiing, bobsleigh or curling with any amount of legs, arms or eyes.

Morgause Mon 10-Mar-14 19:09:34

I don't watch any of the Winter Olympics - just not interested. I know a lot of people feel the same.

betman Mon 10-Mar-14 19:16:08

The Paralympics was on from 6am (or maybe earlier but that's when I got up) until 2.30pm on channel 4 and was the same over the weekend so yabu!

ReallyTired Mon 10-Mar-14 19:20:47

I think in the age of internet TV it should be possible to show all the Olympics/ paralympics via the internet. Personally I have zero interest in the paralympics, but I accept that plenty of people do.

stargirl1701 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:25:29

Eh? It starts around 5am and runs until lunchtime on C4.

It is a much smaller event than the Winter Olympics. There are fewer competitors and fewer sports.

HolidayCriminal Mon 10-Mar-14 19:27:27

I am so down on Russia right now for so many reasons that I can't bring myself to care. Most expensive and least environmentally friendly Olympics in history in a place that rarely gets below freezing even in January.

Oh, and then there's the matter of a little border unrest. Sigh.

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 20:05:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 20:13:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chunderella Mon 10-Mar-14 20:48:43

It's worth noting that this is still an unprecedented level of coverage for a Winter Paralympics. It's a tough sell because wintersports always are in Britain. We don't do that well, probably because we don't have the snow, so of course we're less interested. We also don't have the household names- I would say most people going into the 2012 Paralympics knew who Oscar Pistorius was, and probably Ellie Simmonds too. There were 'faces'. But I pay more attention to disability sports than most do, and I wouldn't know a Winter Paralympian if I fell over one. Lastly, it's unfortunate that a lot of the more exciting wintersports aren't included in the Paralympics. I assume some of them, like aerials and snowboarding, might not be accessible to disabled people. They seem to be missing a trick by not including skating, though. Especially speed skating. The whole point of that is the spectacle of a race, people don't really care whether the participants have all their limbs or not. Like with track running. It's a shame there isn't a 'glamour' winter event like wheelchair racing.

As for the issue of whether to integrate the Olympics and Paralympics is a complex one, and you find people in the movement with different views. Not everyone thinks it would be good for disability sport.

AnyFucker Mon 10-Mar-14 21:25:38

true that we have an unprecedented level of coverage, chunderella

I would like more though, I can't get enough of it. We have enough channels to televise it all, but I guess not the demand

Chunderella Mon 10-Mar-14 21:30:20

It should definitely all be available online at least. 4OD or some such.

AnyFucker Mon 10-Mar-14 21:34:31

I would watch it. I can kill hours watching international competitive sport (other than football and yes, curling grin ..)

AgaPanthers Mon 10-Mar-14 21:37:15

yabu. The level of competitiveness isn't that high compared to the normal Paralympics, and even that is only funded by a few countries.

Chunderella Mon 10-Mar-14 21:44:26

See I don't think the level of competitiveness is necessarily the issue, especially for the casual viewer. I guess it doesn't help that so few countries are involved though.

kiwimumof2boys Tue 11-Mar-14 01:10:48

YANBU. I have a friend who is disabled, and since knowing her has really opened my eyes to stuff like this.
During the 2012 Olympics here in NZ the top news stories on the evening news were when someone won a gold - fair enough. But, during the paralympics a couple of weeks later, a NZ swimmer broke 3 (I think? can't remember exact number) world records and won golds, it was only on the sports segment in the news. I think that is appalling.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Mar-14 02:57:29

I much prefer the winter Olympics to the summer Olympics.
I wish there was a bit more of it too.
I think that more paralympics has been shown than in previous years, which is a good thing, I suppose these things take time to change/ get ppl interested?
Apart from the curling, which is utterly dull.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now