Talk

Advanced search

To think Labour would get an almighty pasting for suggesting this?

(11 Posts)
olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 14:02:53

Truants' parents could face benefits cut, says PM

As they did in 2002, when the Conservatives and Lib Dems branded the proposal as a pre-election stunt.

Hypocrisy or what?

meditrina Mon 10-Mar-14 14:05:18

Of course they would. It's similar to the way they get the blame for the Labour Government's introduction of fines for non-attendance at school.

Nocomet Mon 10-Mar-14 14:09:11

hmm nice little earner if they extend it to 16-18y not turning up for collage or work training they are forced into by the new rules and may have no wish to do.

olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 14:24:23

So it's no longer a "pre election stunt" when it's suggested by the Tory/Lib Dem coalition?

olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 18:11:26

So ok, forget the right-wing media bias (obviously not the right thread!).

How do people feel about losing their child benefit to pay for the privilege of a term time holiday holiday?

olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 18:12:31

Or even just the one holiday!grin

Dinosaursareextinct Mon 10-Mar-14 18:24:29

Some people actually NEED their benefits to live on. The Tories insist on picturing those living on benefits as rolling in spare dosh.

SeaSickSal Mon 10-Mar-14 18:27:39

That article is 3 years old....

exmrs Mon 10-Mar-14 18:39:33

This pisses me off for the following reasons,

1) Its implying most kids who truant then they come from a family living on benefits

2) If your kid has truanted and your on benefits then they get cut but if you not on benefits there is no extra punishment just a fine which you would get anyway if on benefits. How is it fair to be punished twice?

It's getting beyond a joke now with benefits being cut for any reason , soon it will be teenager has fake tan, false nails and make up then benefits must be cut as too much flashing the benefit cash

olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 22:16:57

Seasick yes I know but I didn't want to link to the DM article today.

olgaga Mon 10-Mar-14 22:19:13

exmrs It's child benefit, not other benefits they're talking about taking the fines from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now