Talk

Advanced search

About when to open birthday cards?

(41 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Mar-14 13:55:58

Specifically ones sent by post. DH insists that you have to squirrel them away till your actual birthday, I've always opened them on arrival and gradually covered the fireplace with them.

Inspired since DD2 has her first ever birthday card today (birthday next week) - all the way from Australia since she's such a glam little sod!

AlpacaLypse Mon 10-Mar-14 13:58:05

We've got exactly the same problem - dp's family are 'open on the day-ers', mine are 'open when you receive-ers'.

I won.

However, parcels aren't allowed to be opened until the actual day.

BrownSauceSandwich Mon 10-Mar-14 13:58:49

No, you're totally right. I mean, you wouldn't save all your Christmas cards for Christmas Day, would you?

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Mar-14 13:58:51

Cards on arrival, presents on the day.

It's the law.

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Mar-14 13:59:23

Open on the day here. Makes the pile of things to open look bigger [mean parent].

MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Mar-14 13:59:35

I love being vindicated! It's more "I lose the fuckers" than much else in this house.

And yep, he squirrels away Christmas cards as well

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 10-Mar-14 14:00:25

Open on the day here.

I've never considered doing it the other way!

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Mar-14 14:00:45

but what if the present (cash, voucher, whatever) is in the card? Doesn't that leave birthday person with a bit of an anticlimax on the day?

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 14:02:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 10-Mar-14 14:04:11

We tend to save birthday cards for the day itself. Christmas cards get opened as they arrive.

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 14:04:23

BackforGood Mon 10-Mar-14 14:04:42

On the day, for sure.
When they come through the door, everyone shouts, "Don't look, don't look" whilst you squirrel them away and then you build up to the excitement of opening them on the day.
Hugely different with Christmas cards as
a) you get about 100 Christmas cards as opposed to about 7 birthday cards
b) you have all the excitement of Father Christmas having been at Christmas, but not on your birthday (unless your birthday is 25th Dec I suppose)
c) Christmas day is a big thing for most of the population. Few people work and it's all geared up to being a special day, but, your birthday is usually an ordinary day for the rest of the world, and you still have to go to work or school, so it's good to try to make it a little bit special for those first few minutes when you wake up and open your cards / prezzies.

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 14:04:43

ilovepowerhoop Mon 10-Mar-14 14:04:58

We tend to save birthday cards for the day itself. Christmas cards get opened as they arrive.

CorusKate Mon 10-Mar-14 14:05:12

Stripytop Mon 10-Mar-14 14:05:30

We open everything as soon as it is received. It nice to spread it out, and have presents on several days, and the dc's and me are more likely to remember who sent them what than if they open a large pile of cards/present in one sitting.

It also helps with the thankyou's as they can be done as you go along.

gymboywalton Mon 10-Mar-14 14:07:53

you can't open birthday cards until your birthday!!!shock

it's not the same thing as a christmas card AT ALL!

all cards that come through the post should be hidden until the actual birthday and then themorning of your birthday you get up to a big pile of cards and presents! that's the law!!

ajandjjmum Mon 10-Mar-14 14:10:52

Big deal on the day - together with cake and everyone singing 'Happy Birthday'. It's tradition! grin

HippyPottyMouth Mon 10-Mar-14 14:15:36

Cards on arrival, presents on the day. DSquirrel also squirrels them away and can't find them at the crucial moment. He is mistaken.

MajorGrinch Mon 10-Mar-14 14:17:14

Never even heard of anyone opening a Birthday Card before the day - how peculiar!

We open on the day (obviously)...

throckenholt Mon 10-Mar-14 14:22:21

I prefer to open them when they arrive and put them on display. DH collects them all up - opens on the day and then ignores them. Seems like a total waste of money when it is only around for a few hours.

really1234 Mon 10-Mar-14 14:25:24

Save for the day definitely. In fact when it's someone else's birthday I hide them and save for the day.

goldenlula Mon 10-Mar-14 14:30:28

Save for the day, as they are a birth'day' card. A Christmas card is for the Christmas season, which tends to be throughout December, not just Christmas Day. I put all birthday cards unopened on the mantelpiece, then the night before the presents and cards are set out ready for the birthday person.

satintaupe Mon 10-Mar-14 14:37:46

We open them on the day.

growingolddicustingly Mon 10-Mar-14 14:42:04

Open as they arrive as I have a birthday season just like golden's Christmas one.

I have a birthday week every year and have been trying for a birthday month but even I recognise this makes me seem very spoilt grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now