Talk

Advanced search

to withdraw my offer on a house when the house of our dreams come up

(22 Posts)
housemoveblues Mon 10-Mar-14 13:30:03

We've sold our place, and had an offer accepted on a house, on the condition that we complete by the end of the month, otherwise the owner will re-let to tenants.
At the weekend, the house of our dreams came up. It's being marketed by the same agents as the other house, who are, I guess understandably, unwilling to let us view it.
The trouble is, that the house we're in the process of buying ticked all the boxes, but we don't love it, plus there's the risk that we won't complete by the required date, but we have always wanted the other house. Are we being unreasonable to want to view the other house with a view to making an offer?

AgaPanthers Mon 10-Mar-14 13:31:04

It sounds like the owner isn't particularly bovvered, if they are willing to re-let?

HarderToKidnap Mon 10-Mar-14 13:31:31

Of course not! You can't make such an important decision based on not upsetting people. Insist on viewing it or knock on the door yourself and explain you aren't being allowed to view because you have expressed Hbve expressed an interest in another house.

Lazytoad Mon 10-Mar-14 13:36:00

No I don't think you are being unreasonable. Buying a house is massive and you have to get it right. It is awful to be let down when you think you have a buyer (I have been there) but you have to buy the right one! I think the agent is wrong not to let you view it and to be fair, if the people selling to you are prepared to pull it from under you if you don't complete quickly enough, I don't think there will be any love lost.

housemoveblues Mon 10-Mar-14 13:38:21

thanks all - at the moment my dh is on the phone trying to persuade the agents to let us view. If they stick to no, would it BU to ring the vendors (we don't live near enough to knock on the door)

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 10-Mar-14 13:46:32

The EA is supposed to act for their client. So not letting you view a house because you're supposedly buying somewhere else, isn't really on.

If they won't then yes contact the vendors. I'd want to know if I were them.

fieldfare Mon 10-Mar-14 13:48:20

Definitely get in contact with the vendors yourself, the EA is being unreasonable by not letting you view. Is the house you really want on the market with another agent? Go through them if it is.

sarahandmallard Mon 10-Mar-14 13:56:14

I'd convince the agents they've already lost your sale if they don't show you the house. At the moment, you only THINK it looks like your dream house from pictures. If you can't view it, it will remain your dream house in your mind and you won't proceed on current sale but will continue looking with other agents.

If you do see at and it turns out the reality is much different than photos, you may still be happy to proceed with the current house. But please don't tell them it's your dream house. Because they will hold out for full asking price.

I'd also threaten to tell the vendor they refused to show you the property.

Unless, of course, you've been changing your mind repeatedly and have been dragging your feet throughout your current purchase?

workingtolive Mon 10-Mar-14 13:58:06

We did this years ago, fell out with the estate agents but dealt with the seller directly as I knocked on his door. Still love in the house now, have never regretted not buying original house, we lost about £800 but it was worth it.
Stick with it and don't be fobbed off. Just be honest, you have every right to change your mind.

minibmw2010 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:58:57

The EA has no right to refuse you the right to view, regardless of whether you are buying one house or 10 from them at the moment. Persevere otherwise you'll always wonder what if.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 10-Mar-14 14:02:31

Was your offer accepted on the first house and how far down the line are you with buying it? I know it isn't sold until money has exchanged hands but if both the vendor and EA think you are going to buy, I can see why they'd be a bit pissed.
Not a judgement, but why did you put in an offer if it wasn't your ideal home, did you panic?
I would also knock on the door and explain to the vendors why you want to view their house and I'm sure they'd let you.
Good luck, its a very stressful time thanks for you.

GingerMaman Mon 10-Mar-14 14:08:47

Yadnbu. Put an offer down for the house you like. You'll regret it if you don't. Best of luck x

housemoveblues Mon 10-Mar-14 14:19:34

Thank you all so much for your input, we're off to put a letter through the door.

soverylucky Mon 10-Mar-14 14:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

poocatcherchampion Mon 10-Mar-14 14:52:39

let us know how you get on. I love a dream come true...

pudcat Mon 10-Mar-14 14:55:48

This happened to my sister on the day they were to exchange contracts. She then lost the house she was going to buy and so on up the chain. It didn't matter to the people who pulled out because they were renting.

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 10-Mar-14 15:09:07

Pud and So - it doesn't sound like the op is going to shatter any dreams though. She said the first vendor was going to renew their tenant's contract if it doesn't happen. So no major upset.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 10-Mar-14 15:24:35

The EA has a conflict of interest here. They act on behalf of both the vendors and this does put them in a very awkward position. I too feel sorry for the vendors of the house you've offered on. Perhaps you should withdraw your offer now so you are free to view the other house and at least vendors know where they stand. Otherwise you're being unfair.

Viviennemary Mon 10-Mar-14 15:26:48

You have not completed the sale. But I can see the Estate Agents difficulty. As far as they know they have more or less got a buyer for the first house so you might have to withdraw the offer on that first before they will let you make a firm offer on the other one.

SarahAndFuck Tue 11-Mar-14 12:04:35

You will be putting the agents in a very difficult position.

I don't think they can refuse to let you view the house, legally they have to inform the vendor of anyone interested in viewing the house.

But they still have a duty to the vendor whose house you have offered on and at the very least, if your offer was subject to the house being removed from the market (marked as SSTC etc, all other viewings stopped) they might want to restart viewings on that house given that you are still viewing others yourself.

You might decide against the 'dream house' but find you are now competing with other viewers for the first one. Or the vendor may decide to just rent it out again anyway rather than wait for you to decide after your viewing.

But I do understand why you would want to go for the house you love rather than the one that just ticks boxes. And I think you will regret it if you don't at least go and look at it.

OwlCapone Tue 11-Mar-14 12:10:13

If you find you owning like the Dream house after all! you may lose both. The EA may well tell the owners of your current purchase that you are looking elsewhere.

Nomama Tue 11-Mar-14 12:13:09

If you have not exchanged contracts then you can do what you want.

It is tough on your original buyer.

The EA is being a bit precious over that first SSTC, tell them it is off the table and you want to view house B.

They may lose commission of House Bs owner should hear of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now